Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Aruba clean energy commitment

Aruba since 1979
    the ONLY positive (and it is not really a positive) is that when the trade winds are blowing the smoke and stench head off the island.

i am hopeful that the "greening" of aruba will include a high tech incineration process.

re: we as tourists......it is one of the first things we see upon landing and one of the last things we see upon departure.

Well, I don't want to be too critical of the island. The tourism industry is a much different game than the oil industry was. Tourists must be made comfortable with what they see and perceive. Unfortunately Aruba doesn't have the resources to make all of the things we tourists don't like to see or smell just disappear ala Disney. I feel sorry for the families in Rona's story.

Wow! I am sad to see this but it does not surprise me. My statement could not be more off base if I tried. I hope for the sake of the people that something changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    From Rona

Life in the Dump

A week ago Friday I visited the neighbors living downwind from Parkitenbos, on Bucutiweg. It is hard to write about the subject and I have been procrastinating for over a week. What can you say, that hasnít said before? The area is a disaster and the situation there constitutes a crime against humanity.
    That Friday, a white cloud hung in the sky over the mangroves and the channel, and it hit me as soon as I got out of the car, my eyes smarted and my throat contracted, burning.
    The air, says a neighbor, has become more toxic over time. We have been living here all our lives, so bad smells seem normal to us, but in recent year it went from grey, foul smelling smoke, to a white chocking blanket, and the kids all suffer from asthma, unable to breathe. It is worst nights, when weíre lying in our beds suffocating!
    There is no quiet enjoyment on Bucutiweg. Houses are closed hermetically, aircos are on. No laundry hanging in the breeze, no children playing in the street. The air is thick and rancid, and all of a sudden I was thirsty, so thirsty, like the juices had been sucked out of me, by some chemical sponge. The hostess offered water.
    We have done everything, she said. Gone to the Police, to the Health Department, to the Ministers, Parliamentarians, we call the MinPresí office every week, we leave messages, no one cares, no one answers; they are tired of us.
    They have been dumping garbage here for 80 years, and the problem is too big to fix, fast. Someone actually has to spent time and tons of money to try to resolve the islandís garbage challenge. And not a single government entity seems to be concerned.
    They are building a colossal bridge that will cut the commute from San Nicholas to Oranjestad by 20 seconds; They are celebrating the Health Departmentís anniversary, by throwing lovely parties, they load a schoolís roof with solar panels, but not a word about the dump.
    They have a joker-coordinator in charge of the dump at Infrastructure. He says the dump will be closed end of the year. He lies. How can that happen? Where will the garbage go?
    The gasification plant stinks. While the idea is contemporary and exciting the plant is in its experimental stage. How long will the testing take, before we see results?
    The Police never comes anymore, when called. Live fires are raging, and the Policemen shrug it off, because Serlimar likes to start these fires on weekends, when government officers are closed, and there is no one to talk to.
    The impotent Parkitenbos foundation collected signatures; they went nowhere, achieved nothing.
    Many of their neighbors are government employees who are afraid to complain and lose their jobs in the process. They are too scared to protest while dealing with major health issues; they donít want to be discriminated against and ridiculed.
    WHAT WE SAY: YOU HAVE TO GET MAD, REAL MAD, BE FEARLESS, THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND, GET A LAWYER, A REAL LAWYER, SUE THE GOVERNMENT FOR TORTURING YOU, FILE REAL COMPLAINS AT THE POLICE, SHOOT VIDEOS, GET THE PUBLIC HERE BEHIND YOU WITH IMAGES AND PICTURES, MAKE YOUR PROBLEM, OUR PROBLEM,DO NOT REST, UNTIL YOU GET RESULTS. YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FOR IT. The MinPres with his phony-baloney green initiatives should be the one in charge of rescuing your neighborhood, there has to be a way to get his attention.
    I am sad and mad. I loved the stories about carefree kids going swimming in the lagoon, and playing hide and seek behind the dumpís wall. That was 40 years ago. It is a toxic waste land now.
    The lies from the Serlimar website
    Parkietenbos Landfill & Containerpark Facility has been Arubaís official public refuse dumping-site since the 1960s and has undergone several important structural changes during the recent years. Nowadays, this facility is organized in two main deposit sections, the Containerpark and the Landfill. Subsequently, these two main sections are subdivided according to specially designated waste materials sections for recycling and environmental purposes. Once you pass the main gate entry of the facility, you will find directions indicating the landfill entrance and the containerpark entrance.
    Householders should dispose of their waste at the containerpark and public, private and nonprofit organizations should dispose of their waste at the landfill sections.
    For safety, management and environmental reasons, it is mandatory that all users dispose of their waste in the correct locations and as directed by the facility operators. It is required to respect the Rules of Parkietenbos Containerpark and Landfill Facility at all times.

Aruba since 1979

Thanks, Andrea, for bringing this topic to our attention. I teach AP Environmental Science and will use this as a case study for my students. I know that Costa Rica and other island countries have made great strides in the use of renewable energy. Now, if they could find a fuel source other than oil for that desalination plant, they would really come out ahead.

In the past the previous government put a machine at the dump to convert the junk into reusable gas for energy. It was a small , but much needed first step in the process of cleaning up the dump area. It was however sabotaged short after it started running and the perpetrator was never caught unfortunately. I mean, who would do such a thing.

The current government is working on various different solutions. One of which being that the "dump" would move partly or entirely over to Ecotech's new facility that is being built(not 100% sure if building has begun yet) and that Ecotech would convert the waste into reusable energy. Although this made Serlimar(local company who runs the facility) go on strike because they are in fear of losing their jobs.

The dump has been a problem for decades already and never did any of the governments pay much attention or try to do much to solve it. I assume now that we had a very odd year with a lot of rain and the wind changing direction more than usual, that the people who live in that area finally had enough and united together to seek some type of action from the government.

I hope i can get solved quickly. However, even "quick" might not be fast enough for a lot of the residents that constantly have to live with that horrid smell and health risks that come with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12