Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Aruba gas prices

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    So, now I was curious to see what we paid. Here's the math:

1.75 florins per liter=$.96 per liter, 3.785 liters per gallon= $3.64usd per gallon.

And now I'm wondering. How much is the same amount of bottled water. Seems to me it costs more than gas!

Aruba since 1979
    don't ya hate doing the math? we sat at the gas pump last may and my husband had the calculator on the phone and was tapping in numbers

we paid about $32 for 2 week's gas usage.

good news is yesterday, in hillsborough co (tampa) we paid 1.83 p gallon.

and john...... bottled water pricing is just disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaveTheKidsWithMom View Post
    So, now I was curious to see what we paid. Here's the math:

1.75 florins per liter=$.96 per liter, 3.785 liters per gallon= $3.64usd per gallon.

Exactly, you are not buring US fuel in Aruba...there is very little shipping cost. The government sets the price so it is what it is. Arubabob is 100% about the oil pricing...good economics lesson today, lol.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Exactly, you are not buring US fuel in Aruba...there is very little shipping cost. The government sets the price so it is what it is. Arubabob is 100% about the oil pricing...good economics lesson today, lol.
    Here is another economics lesson for all. When you buy 1 gallon of gas at the station, who makes more money? This is multiple choice. A. The station that sells the gas. B. The oil company. C. The federal government. D. The state government.

The correct answer in most cases is--tada- D the state government. In fact if you work from D to A that is the pecking order for who gets paid the most. The gas tax, per gallon, in New York is 69.6 cents, California is 69 cents, Hawaii 68 cents, Connecticut 64.4 cents and Illinois 62.8 cents. Only one states gas tax is less than 30 cents a gallon and that is Alaska. Sadly the tax on diesel is higher in every case. The federal government charges a tax of 18.4 cents per gallon in addition.
    The oil company makes a profit in the neighborhood of 8 to12 cents per gallon depending on if you count federal subsidies that most oil companies still receive for exploration.
    Finally the station owner makes anywhere fro 3 cents to 11 cents, depending on location.

If you are wondering why this does not add up to the cost of a gallon of gas, its because these are only the taxes and profits. The rest of the cost is paying for landowner royaltys, drilling costs, transport costs, refining costs and other taxes that hit oil even before it gets out of the ground. States tax it coming and going and sometimes in between.

When a person fills his gas tank in New York, say 15 gallons at $2.00 a gallon, he is paying $30.00. Of that, $13.10 is going to state and federal tax.

When I was a kid I remember there were signs at the gas station that showed the price for gas at the top, state tax below that and federal tax below that with a line underneath. under that it had the total cost for the gallon of gas. Of course then taxes were a lot lower and gas was about 20 cents after taxes, yes I am that old. I think we need to bring those signs back so people know where the money is going.

Another great lesson with more detail than I would/could come up with. The only number I knew for a fact was the profit for the station owner per gallon. I recently thought about buying a local station that is for sale and renovating it and doing a dunkins donuts/ gas station on the same place. But after a small amount of research it was quickly apparent the profit on gas is next to nothing as arubabob said. And not only is the profit really low, the cost to remove/replace old/leaking tanks is more expensive than you can imagine and will erase your profits quickly.

Aruba since 1979
    let me just say yes i know we have veered off topic (Re Aruba gas prices)
    but this is fascinating stuff and as we talk about gas prices around the world it does relate directly or indirectly to aruba

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    Here is another economics lesson for all. When you buy 1 gallon of gas at the station, who makes more money? This is multiple choice. A. The station that sells the gas. B. The oil company. C. The federal government. D. The state government.

The correct answer in most cases is--tada- D the state government. In fact if you work from D to A that is the pecking order for who gets paid the most. The gas tax, per gallon, in New York is 69.6 cents, California is 69 cents, Hawaii 68 cents, Connecticut 64.4 cents and Illinois 62.8 cents. Only one states gas tax is less than 30 cents a gallon and that is Alaska. Sadly the tax on diesel is higher in every case. The federal government charges a tax of 18.4 cents per gallon in addition.
    The oil company makes a profit in the neighborhood of 8 to12 cents per gallon depending on if you count federal subsidies that most oil companies still receive for exploration.
    Finally the station owner makes anywhere fro 3 cents to 11 cents, depending on location.

If you are wondering why this does not add up to the cost of a gallon of gas, its because these are only the taxes and profits. The rest of the cost is paying for landowner royaltys, drilling costs, transport costs, refining costs and other taxes that hit oil even before it gets out of the ground. States tax it coming and going and sometimes in between.

When a person fills his gas tank in New York, say 15 gallons at $2.00 a gallon, he is paying $30.00. Of that, $13.10 is going to state and federal tax.

When I was a kid I remember there were signs at the gas station that showed the price for gas at the top, state tax below that and federal tax below that with a line underneath. under that it had the total cost for the gallon of gas. Of course then taxes were a lot lower and gas was about 20 cents after taxes, yes I am that old. I think we need to bring those signs back so people know where the money is going.

I think gas prices relate directly to Aruba travel and this is how. Last year I was spending more than $700 to heat my house and another couple of hundred in gas. This winter it will probably cost me under 400 a month for heat and less than half what I was paying for gas-roughly. That puts an extra $400 odd dollars back into my pocket each month. With that money, I can spend more in Aruba when I go, or potentially take an extra trip.

That is how gas prices affect the Aruba economy.

This has proven to be a very interesting discussion but in comparasion to the cost of gas in Aruba it hardly seems relevant. Unlike North America, Aruba only has one level of Govt I assume therefore, that the amount of tax would be considerably less than in North America. The gas stations here are owned/operated by Texaco and Valero.......2 oil giants. I suspect there are large profits being made at the pump here

It is a $1.20 for 1 Liter of gas....as far as I remember its been like this for years....We use car for 2 weeks, and on the average- for 2 weeks $20-22.....So price on gas has not changed at all( cost me last week , before returning our car, $22)....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast