Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Aruba gas prices

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    During our trip this past December I believe I calculated it to be $6.35 a gallon in florins.
    If you're referring to Dec. 2015, your calculation is incorrect.

The price I paid when refilling my car on January 8, 2015 was 1.62 AFL per liter. There are 3.78 liters per gallon, so the gallon price is 3.78 x 1.62AFL, which equals 6.12 AFL per gallon. At 1.75 AFL per dollar, this works out to around $3.37 per gallon. This is far cheaper than I've paid in years past, when prices were closer to $8.00 per gallon.

As far as Venezuela is concerned, Aruba does NOT get it's gasoline from Venezuela, so those low prices (essentially just pennies per gallon in Venezuela) are irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsuwxman View Post
    As far as Venezuela is concerned, Aruba does NOT get it's gasoline from Venezuela, so those low prices (essentially just pennies per gallon in Venezuela) are irrelevant.
    Does anyone know where it actually comes from?
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

This website http://arubagasoline.com/ has not been updated in years, but had some good information. Not sure if it is still relevant.

As a base for the calculations, the quoted prices of the US Gulf Coast are employed as published in the Platt's Oil gram." DoEA stipulates the current retail fuel prices for the consumers by publishing it every second Wednesday of the month in local newspapers.
    The DoEA calculates the retail prices each month to the adjusted international quoted prices by using a specific structure to determine the prices.
    This "specific structure" is closely guarded from consumers, as we do not know the exact details on how the prices come to be.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by worldtraveler1976 View Post
    It is a $1.20 for 1 Liter of gas....as far as I remember its been like this for years....We use car for 2 weeks, and on the average- for 2 weeks $20-22.....So price on gas has not changed at all( cost me last week , before returning our car, $22)....
    Not true. Last week (and the price is only adjusted once per month by the government) gas was 1.62AFL per liter. This works out to around 88 CENTS US per liter. A far cry from $1.20 that you quoted. Right now gas in Aruba is running about $3.37 US per GALLON. Probably would be cheaper if there were competition, but still a lot cheaper than its been the past few years.

I agree the costs are crazy, but if only $337 its not bad at all- the following has nothing to do with the original question, it just made me think of my FIL, god rest his soul. I remember what he told me when I was buying my first boat years ago, " Jay, if you need to worry about the cost per gallon to run your boat, you can't afford to buy it" I guess that can hold true in Aruba as well. If you can't afford the gas at $3.50 or $8.00 per gallon, on an island that is 19 miles long, you should not be going on vacation.

That being said, they charge what they do because they can I guess. Good ole supply vs demand. Its still annoying though, but nothing that would prevent me from renting a car, unlike the new "booting" fines, lol.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-15-2016 at 06:47 PM.

The price was 1.60 AWG per liter at the Valero in Palm Beach yesterday.

3.79 litters per gallon, 1.60 per litter = 6.06 florins/exchange rate of 1.75 = $3.46 Not as good as the $1.94 I paid today but not nearly as bad as the $6 for 32 oz of water I drank in Aruba because I was very thirsty, lol.

There is also a variation in price between stations and the one's we stopped at also charge a different price depending on if payment is made with cash or credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsuwxman View Post
    If you're referring to Dec. 2015, your calculation is incorrect.

The price I paid when refilling my car on January 8, 2015 was 1.62 AFL per liter. There are 3.78 liters per gallon, so the gallon price is 3.78 x 1.62AFL, which equals 6.12 AFL per gallon. At 1.75 AFL per dollar, this works out to around $3.37 per gallon. This is far cheaper than I've paid in years past, when prices were closer to $8.00 per gallon.

TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Here is a thought for you. You could drive back and forth from one end of the island to the other 20 times for a grand total of 800 miles.
    At a low end of 17 mpg (probably much better than this) you are looking at 47 gallons of gas, @ 3.46 per gallon the total cost of your insane amount of driving would be $162 bucks.

So, who on earth is going to drive 800 miles on vacation in Aruba? Nobody. How about 25% of that and drive 200 miles in the week? Not a chance on gods green earth for us, lol. So lets pretend it was 200 miles you drove, it would only cost you $ 41.50 for the gas for the week.

Aruba since 1979
    i guess it is not a huge issue for tourists

the huge issue imo is for taxi drivers.
    most dont get 17 mpg
    they hasn't been a fare increase in years
    taxi drivers and others that use gas in their businesses pay thru the nose

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Here is a thought for you. You could drive back and forth from one end of the island to the other 20 times for a grand total of 800 miles.
    At a low end of 17 mpg (probably much better than this) you are looking at 47 gallons of gas, @ 3.46 per gallon the total cost of your insane amount of driving would be $162 bucks.

So, who on earth is going to drive 800 miles on vacation in Aruba? Nobody. How about 25% of that and drive 200 miles in the week? Not a chance on gods green earth for us, lol. So lets pretend it was 200 miles you drove, it would only cost you $ 41.50 for the gas for the week.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast