Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    Amy,

Don't give up the ship! I mean island. You can always come here to Savaneta where there are a couple of small beaches and sometimes not another soul all day. On the weekend local people are there but the rest of them time very few and far between.

Just bring you own cooler.

Have cooler, will travel!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

BEEN GOING SINCE 1973 , TALK ABOUT CHANGES
    I STILL LOVE ARUBA!
    aruba lover 99

45 th trip coming soon

Yes I agree, change is good.....my point being that since tourism is up on this paradise island, why have the grass and weeds been allowed to grow along the roadways, along with the amount of trash giving it a "beat up" look ? Why have some of the dollars that flow into Aruba not been used to paint the public traffic circles and keep those beautiful fountains working ? Take the money and run ? I was just expecting AT LEAST the same quality of roadways/public areas, not a decline. As for Palm Beach, WoW it seems like thats where the "CLEAN UP" dollars are being spent. We do love going to Aruba and always will visit, it is just hard to think of buying a property there for our winter retreat that is all. Maybe if we purchase a property in the Palm Beach area ? Point being, on our first trip, we loved the atmosphere of downtown Orjenstead ! Beam me up Scotty !!

Dom
    Talk about changes. On my first trip in 1970 most people had never even heard of Aruba, and there were less than 2,000 hotel rooms available on the entire island. The biggest hotel was the Holiday Inn, and it was only 1 single building. I stayed in the low rise area, and at that time there were no timeshares and the only low rise hotel was the Divi Divi (and possibly the Manchebo, but I do not remember). Things have certainly changed since then, but unfortunately not for the better. Although I do not particularly like the changes, it has not deterred me from returning each year for 2 weeks.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Next up on the soapbox? That would be me. This topic comes up every so often.

I've been going to Aruba, on and off, since 1980 and yes there have been a lot of changes. More buildings, more traffic congestion, probably a bit more crime(let's keep it in perspective) and the biggest surprise of all; a local government that doesn't have the money to fix the roads, cut the grass, paint the traffic circles every year, pick up the garbage as often as it maybe should, etc, etc. Doesn't this sound like home, wherever you live in Canada and the US?

We'd love Aruba to be as we first discovered it, but as I've said so often on similar-type threads and as someone else hinted here already, it is not for Canadians or Americans or anyone else to insist that Aruba remain stuck in a time warp so that we can enjoy its quaint, Dutch-Caribbean charm once or twice a year.

All the things that make Aruba my favourite island (Maui is a close second); the people, the weather, the beaches, great restaurant choices are still there.

Now for some perspective. It's -40 Celsius here(that's also -40 F) right now. I'll take a over-crowded beach in Aruba anytime!!

Maybe that's why our 6:30am departure for Aruba (via MSP & MIA) this Friday can't come fast enough.

Glenn

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Glenn, lucky you...just think you will soon be outa that cold ! Here in RI its hit a 5 yr low, 10 degrees....poor kids going to school freezing their tails off.
    Make sure you send us a post if you get a minute...cindyo

We have been going now for 12 years and have noticed changes yearly,,,some good and some not so good....However, I would die without my yearly fix to my most favorite place on earth !!!!!!
    Progress is something we can not change and so must just live with it.
    I try to focus on the people that are so welcoming,,(unless you are driving, then they pass you at the speed of light...) and the island that has so much to offer in the way of "Soul-rejuvenation".........
    so, that was my 2 cents...........
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

EAGLE & PALM BEACH ORANJESTAD PADDOCK - MADAME JEANETTE SOLE MARE KUKKO KUNUKOO
    I have been reading this board for some time and was finally prompted to join when I read this thread. My first trip was in January 1983, and have since returned 12 times. Definitely have
    noticed a drop in the infrastucture upkeep. A simple road crew that could trim flora & fauna, weed sidewalks and paint,paint, paint, would not be that expensive. It would go a long way especially with first impressions.
    Does any one remember the large metal grated areas in front of the hotels that were there to stop the goats? Progress has definitely changed the island but I still look there first before any travel plans are made. Not too many places where I would take a bike ride with kids through the city and interior sections and not be overly concenrned.

Now, I am really tempted to reminise (sp) with Teamaruba. I certainly do remember the metal grated areas in front of the hotels to stop the goats. Was it really that long ago??? In any event, even with all the various comments about lack of upkeep by the local authorities; my vote still goes to return and return... because of the extremely friendly people; nice restaurants; weather; and, this forum of many friends.
    Last edited by Edronenburg; 01-16-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Gotta jump on the bandwagon as well.
    Our first trip to Aruba was about 12 years ago - a truly amazing vacation, for my wife, 2 small kids and I.
    A few years later, just my wife and I - again, a lazy, week long stay in paradise.
    Last year, we managed to get everyone's schedule together, and all four went.
    As far as I'm concerned, Aruba can't be beat for a holiday to relive, every day, when things aren't going well.
    But, I also have seen the changes, and agree that they are not necessarily for the best. We spent a day at Baby Beach, and couldn't believe the amount of litter on the beach, and under the trees. Who, in their right mind would deface such a beautiful area? But to answer that question, all you have to do is look to our own roads here in Canada, where almost daily I see some idiot open their window and throw out their bag of fast food containers or empty coffee cup.
    Don't know if these "people" weren't taught right from the beginning, or maybe they missed the line when brains and common sense were being handed out, but they are everywhere, including Aruba.
    However, this won't stop me from trying to get there every chance that I can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast