Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Aruba prepaid sim card options

If you have the World Edition of the BB with Verizon that has a simm card, just ask Verizon to "Unlock" it for you. It only takes a few minutes. I had Verizon unlock two BB World Editions and had no issues.

Once it is unlocked, remove the Verizon simm card and insert the new one for Aruba. Your phone should automatically search for a cell provider. Pick the one that you purchased the simm card from and you will than have service. Or, just bring your unlocked phone to either cell provider at the airport, and they can assist you.

Regards

Anyone thinking of using your own phone: you need to ensure it is GSM and that it's either tri or Quad band. Aruba uses GSM 900/1800 Mhz (North America uses 850/1900). And like many have already mentioned, the phone has to be SIM unlocked so that it can take other provider's SIM cards.

However, it is different for Canadians. If you unlock your phone you will void your warranty so check with your individual provider. Also, as I said before any of the newer phones from Bell have a different shape SIM card which makes it impossible to unlock and use with another provider.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Is there a difference between UNLOCKING a phone and OPENING a phone?
    They make entirely different phones for the Canadian and U.S. markets?
    Wouldn't it vary by carrier?

Might be the same thing just different terminology, not sure.

What was interesting though was when we arrived in Philadelphia our "Aruba" cell phone worked perfectly as it worked through AT &T. So for our few hours in the US we still had access to the data on the phone.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Yes, north American GSM frequencies are different than those used in Europe or Aruba. This is why I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this not to be surprised once they pop in their new SIM that they just get "no Signal". Most new phones these days (except really cheap ones) are quad band now.
    Then there's CDMA and all those 3G frequencies, but I don't even want to go there

Randi, as far as I know, just the Iphone 4 uses the newer "Micro sim" cards. It's the same, except smaller. You can just cut it. (as a matter a fact, I have a cutter, which I will take with me to make it fit my factory unlocked iPhone 4. It's got nothing to do with Bell. All iPhone 4s (and iPads with GSM) use the newer format SIM.
    Last edited by wysiwyg; 01-21-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I am the person to help you!!!!
    I just went through all of this in December and I am also from Canada.
    For years we rented a phone and this year I decided to finally give this up and it was the best decision I ever made.

First, I purchased an inexpensive "unlocked" BB from home and took it to Aruba. At the airport I went to Digicel and paid $35 for a SIM card to activate the phone and provide me with a telephone number. It also gave me about 84 minutes of talk time. I really can't figure out how they charge for local vs. long distance minutes but it is very reasonable. To get another digicel phone card it is $14 for one hour of talk time. These cards are readily available and very simple to add on. However, the best part is the data!! We were in Aruba for three weeks so I purchased one month of unlimited data for $25. One week is $10 and two weeks is around $15 and then it jumps to one month. I also easily added my email account to the phone and it was amazing. This compared to paying $50 for 10 mg of data from my Canadian carrier and you need to take it for one month.
    Now, the reason for the purchasing of the unlocked BB is that if you unlock your own BB, then you void your warranty. I bought a refurbished Rogers BB from a company. Bell Canada's older BB's do not have SIM cards in them and the newer BB have a different shape SIM card so they won't work. The unlocked BB can work the same way if you travel anywhere in the Caribbean or Europe.
    I will be going to Aruba in February and have in the past purchased a SIM card from fastphones. I will this time be trying Digicel. When you indicated $35.00 for a SIM card did you mean 35.00 Florins as I was under the impression that you could obtain a SIM card for $20.00 USD and this included 84 minutes of talk time. Could you explain more on how the data plan works. I will be using an Iphone 4 purchased in Canada and as such it is not tied o any particular supplier such as Rogers or Fido.

Quote Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
    I will be going to Aruba in February and have in the past purchased a SIM card from fastphones. I will this time be trying Digicel. When you indicated $35.00 for a SIM card did you mean 35.00 Florins as I was under the impression that you could obtain a SIM card for $20.00 USD and this included 84 minutes of talk time. Could you explain more on how the data plan works. I will be using an Iphone 4 purchased in Canada and as such it is not tied o any particular supplier such as Rogers or Fido.
    Digicel is in the same location as Fastphones used to be. Digicel is the actual provider of long distance and internet. The $35 US actually gets you a SIM card with an Aruba phone number with talk time attached to it (approx 84 minutes). Then you can purchase additional minutes as needed.
    As for the data, it was amazing and easy to use. At the same time that we purchased a sim card we paid for the data. Cost is $10 for a week, $20 for two weeks and $29 for one month. We received email, used BBM and it was all unlimited. If you sent a text it came off your talk minutes. Compared to the Canadian plan which was $50 for the month for only 10 MG of data only! That did not include any international talk time, roaming fees etc. in the above $50.
    We found with the unlimited data that was the way we did most of our communication with "home" and our actual "talking" was more local (which also allowed anyone in Aruba like restaurants, golf course, etc to phone us back).

Thanks for the response. I was looking at the Digicel web site and it indicates that the "Sim only pack" is 35 Florins. Is it possible that this only includes the Sim card and no minutes. I have sent them a number of emails but they never respond. The data plan sounds very interesting. Does this include using the internet without being in a free WIFI zone?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
    Thanks for the response. I was looking at the Digicel web site and it indicates that the "Sim only pack" is 35 Florins. Is it possible that this only includes the Sim card and no minutes. I have sent them a number of emails but they never respond. The data plan sounds very interesting. Does this include using the internet without being in a free WIFI zone?
    Thanks
    This is from an email I got from a Digicel employee. Both Digicel and Setar will never respond so don't bother! I know it says $20 below but that isn't the case if you need a phone number. I don't actually understand what the difference was but I needed to pay $35 so I could get the phone number.

When I arrive at the airport I will need:

To purchase a SIM Card.... what is the cost?A SIM loaded with 35 Guilders will cost 35 Guilders (US $ 20.00). You will be able to buy credit vouchers in denominations of 5-10-15-25 and 50 Guilders (1 US $ is 1.75 Guilders)

How many minutes come with the original SIM card?Local Minutes would be around 55 to 60 Minutes depending on the time of day and whether you are calling to our network or another provider.

Will they assign me a Aruba telephone number there?Yes, you will receive an Aruba Number 74X-XXXX. If you plan to come back every year it is best to have your Airtime extended before you leave the island to guarantee that you will have the same number every year.

I only want BB so if I buy the data to use for BBM how many MG's come with the it? You will be able to but the Data by the week (Us $ 10.00), 2-Weeks (US 20.00) and Full month (US $ 28.50)

I heard that at the airport they only accept cash, is that correct? If so, I need to know the costs as I will have to ensure that I have the right amount of cash as I am coming from Canada and will need US funds.They do accept Credit Cards (Approximate cost are shown above)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast