Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Aruba prepaid sim card options

Aruba since 1979
    have we beaten this subject to death yet?
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    have we beaten this subject to death yet?
    Almost

I am onsite and just wanted to provide some fresh info.

So I arrived Saturday afternoon and found the setar and Digicell booths. They are immediately outside the luggage pickup area just before you step outside. Both weren't busy. I decided t go with Setar. Cost of the sim kit was $20 and it includes $10 credit. Data is for Blackberry only. You cannot get it for iPhones or android devices. They do have a 3G network, so. Stand corrected on that from my last post.

I got 2 SIM and one is used in my iPhone 4. I had no problems cutting it to make it fit.

SMS to Canada was 30 cents and calls were closer to $0.50 cents. I don't know Tyne exact pricing but it seems to be more than Digicel but still much less than Rogers at $3 a min.

Ok, going back to the nice sunshine.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks enjoy
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

prepaid sim for internet

I have a 3g/hsdpa modem (unlocked) that's currently configured with my netbook and tmobile sim card. I was hoping to bring it along and get a 3g data only sim for my time there but can't figure out from the Setar or Digicel sites whether that's an option. I know they have postpaid 3g available and charge a monthly rate with a gb limit but they all talk about 2 year contracts (I'm there a week). Anybody given anything like this a try?

All I know is that Postpaid is for residents/locals, so you won't even be able to buy a Postpaid subscription. You should e-mail or phone both Setarnet and Digicel, and ask them.

Thanks for the info about the postpaid. I tried both Setar and Digicel and didn't get much other than a generic response. I think I'll just plan on using wifi and not spend a day trying to get 3g working.

hi boqueesha (nice name by the way)
    yes you can use a local pre-paid card but it has some obstacles to it as it applies to modems.
    - In most cases you have to take the modem apart to get to the existing card
    - If that isn't the case then you are Ok but ...... you would be putting in a SIM that is for talking and the data usage can be different.
    - Your plan "B" is actually the cheaper and easiest one.

Enjoy and relax.

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Wifi can be costly . Your best option is to get the sim for your unlocked phone and tether it to all your devices. Thats what I do anyways and the contracts here for pre paid and data do not have contracts you can cancel anytime.

Oh and Setar is more reliable than Digicel I have both.

Pre-paid GSM/3G SIM

Hello there!

Im arriving in Aruba by the end of this week and I'd like to know some information about pre-paid SIM cards for unlocked GSM/3G phones.

I've made a small research over the several (lol!) mobile operators that provide services in Aruba, Digicel and Setar. Based on the information provide on each website, it is possible to buy a pre-paid GSM card and perform voice calls and 3G data connections.

Does anyone made this kind of deal? Does it work? How about the coverage all over the island? Where can I buy a pre-paid SIM? Is it really subscription-free?

Here´s Setar information:

"Prepaid gives you a lot of benefits:

You can use it at your own convenience;
    You can communicate 24 hours a day 7 days a week locally or internationally;
    You do not need a subscription;
    You can control your expenditure

Data plans:
    1: 250 MB @ Afl. 5 (valid 1 day)
    2: 500 MB @ Afl. 18 (valid 1 week)
    3: 1 GB @ Afl. 32 (valid 2 weeks)
    4: 2 GB @ Afl. 49 (valid 1 month)"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast