Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aruba Pups

Aruba since 1979
    about 18 months ago ARA brought some USA vets to aruba and there was a great response.

paul and i would be very willing to donate one of our time share units to house the vets and techs.

i wrote to the tufts veterinary school and hope to get a reply.

there is also a veterinary school in the caribbean.....anyone know the name?

it would be wonderful if we had an airline connection to transport 4, for a week it would be great if we could get some restaurant gift certificates as well to feed these folks.

please folks, think hard at what you could offer and suggestions on how we could possibly pull this together.

even some of us that have RN experience could be utilized.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Any chance to get something set up with some vets to come down and do some clinics? If a hotel would donate a few rooms for a few days, I'm sure we could round up a few vets to donate their time. At that point it's just a matter of getting an airline to donate a couple seats for the publicity/write off.

I would think that with travel being down, there would be a few airlines and hotels that would be able to donate seats and rooms without it impacting their bottom line. Plus the tax write off would be better than the last minute sales would generate.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    there is also a veterinary school in the caribbean.....anyone know the name? andrea
    St. George's University Grenada
    http://www.sgu.edu/svm/

Here is also a page with links to many other Veterinary schools
    http://www.hoosierkitties.com/medical/vetcoll.htm
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 05-29-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks lisa

Aruba since 1979

FROM cheryl re: the fundraiser

Cheryl

Feel free to private message me. I am going to Aruba July 23 and have spoken with Roy Mezas (president of ARA) about helping Animal Rights Aruba with their Flea Market. I can transport small items but if anyone else is going down between now and July 5rd, it would be great if you could also transport some items. The easiest for me is costume jewelry, scarfs, CDs, DVDs. Checks can be made out directly to ARA and I am happy to deliver them. PM and I will give you my home address. The Flea Market is being held in fr4ont of the Havana Club across the street from the Talk of the Town Hotel - there will be food and music and there is a great little beach right there also so anyone in Aruba during that time is welcome to come join us.
    In regard to the vet program for a spay/neuter clinic - we did this about 2 years ago and it was very successful. We brought 2 US vets and 8 vet techs for 4 days - they spayed and neutered about 65 dogs and cats. I am working on them again and we will see what we can do. Andrea has been generous in donating her timeshare and I have two houses there that can also accomodate them along with my neighbors who donated not only their houses but a couple of cars for transportation also, last time. Bucuti hosted a wonderful dinner on the day of arrival, Jolly Pirates gave the vets and techs a wonderful sunset cruise, Moombas donated a meal and so did Tango. They also got a free submarine ride - many people were quite generous. The Aruba Bulletin/Message Boards donated enough cash to pay for the flights and all medical supplies.
    ARA and all the precious animals of Aruba need our help. If we enjoy the Island, I feel this is our small way of giving something back. Not only does it benefit the animals but the humans, as well, because animal overpopulation can be a public health issue.
    Many people tell me that they help the animals in the US and that is wonderful but a little extra to help in Aruba if you love the Island is just another way of saying thank you for the blessing of being able to go on vacation and enjoy that part of the world. JMHO...Cheryl

When we took the vets to Aruba a few years ago, the planning took a full year. The fund raising was one aspect and we also worked in cooperation with ARA and the Contreras Veterinary Clinic. We also had to get permission from the government to do the "work" there and from customs to bring in the meds and supplies. The group that went (vets and vet techs) worked together prior to the trip so they had a great routine and the Vet clinic in Aruba was very accomodating letting us use their OR, anesthesia machine, and blood testing equipment (all animals had to be checked prior to surgery cause you cannot operate on an anemic animal).ARA was responsible for getting the animals for the program but we also contacted people regarding having their animals spayed and neutered.
    After this Flea market fund raiser is over, I will talk with Roy (president of ARA) and determine the best way to do something similar again. Another thought is to raise funds and pay the local vets there to do a special clinic for a week where they could spay and neuter animals for "free" (or at our expense). I know several of the vets there and could certainly work out something like that but we would need to raise money to accomplish this.
    I will keep you all informed....Cheryl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12