Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: ARUBA......Remember WHEN?

i remember going to Aruba for our honeymoon in 1976. Stayed at the Americana, now the Occidental Allegro. i think there were only a few hi rise - the Americana, the Concord (now the Westin) and i dont even remember what else. Also had dinner at Talk of the Town, had to wear a sportcoat or they wouldnt let me in. Now i dont even bring long pants with me.

Senior Member aruba here I come's Avatar
    And flying air Aruba out of Newark........

Aruba since 1979
    and not so long ago.........flying non stop on AA out of boston.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Flying Eastern Airlines from Miami to Aruba in 1980. At the time I believe Eastern was the only American carrier flying to Aruba.

As for Canadians like me; back in 1980 telling someone here I was going to or had been to Aruba usually elicited a polite "Oh yes", accompanied by a blank stare. Even my travel agent way back then had no idea where I was asking him to send me.

Ah yes, I remember the flights on Eastern from Miami to Aruba. I think it was 1981 for the Lago Reunion when we boarded the plane in Miami and one of the ladies in the group got so excited and hugged the pilot as she entered the cabin. Come to find out it was her son that arranged to change his schedule to fly the plane to Aruba and surprise her. Many of the Lago group knew him and were so excited for her. That was the second of my many trips back to "The Rock." My family left Aruba in 1944 and my first trip back was 1977 when so many memories returned as we landed. The door opened, the steps were lowered and the first thing we felt was the wind as we made our way down to the ground and into the small Customs room. After many Lago Reunions, I decided it was time to buy a time share and the rest is history. And now my children and 3 grandsons have come to love "The Rock" almost as much as I do. June cannot come fast enough as I return to spend another 3 weeks enjoying the sun, wind, sand, beach and watching 21 glorious sun sets sipping many glasses of wine with family and friends. And since the Lago Reunion will be held June 16-23, 2012, look forward to visiting and renewing acquaintenances during many activities. Just does not get any better for me.

I recall sitting on a large stone next to my friend Denchie. We looked out at the ocean and wondered what was happening. It made no sense to us. Large monstrous belching engines dug out and carried massive mouth-fulls of sand and small stones it had dug from the sea. To one side a large machine went back and forth on large flat steel wheels and in the process leaving the crunchy sand and stones flat. We walked over much closer one day and looked at this. One of the workers walked by and one of (can't remember who) asked him what was going on. He said "Land-Fill" and walked off. Didn't make sense that you would fill the ocean with land but then????????. Several years later, a park with a white marble statue of the queen was finally build - to be followed with the construction of a small shopping mall. It was confusing.

I feel sure you know where my memory is. Go there and look back and live the memory with me.

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Charles, when I visit the area in June, I will close my eyes and try and see what you did so many years ago. And I usually visit that small mall, shopping at a store that use to be Fannie's on the main street. Can't remember the name and don't even know if they are still there. But I remember the original Fannie's located on the street right behind the refinery. Mom and Fannie became friends and she would always call Mom when she received new items. I inherited the teakwood cedar chest, coffee table, nest of tables and grass linen table cloths, including 8 bridge sets, all from Hong Kong. Playing bridge was very big in the Colony and I can remember Mom having at least 4 tables everytime the ladies came over.

FYI, the Lago Reunion will be held at the Westin from June 16 -23, 2012. We arrive on June 9 and will be at Playa Linda for 3 glorious weeks, returing to Houston, TX on June 30. Looking forward to feeling that wind, digging my toes in the sand, swiming in the beautiful Caribbean, and watching the first of many sun sets while sipping a few glasses wine with family and friends. Just does not get any better. I don't know if you will be at your airport location, but if u r, will stop by and say hello.

Dolores Williams Grissom (Lago 1935-1944)

Remember when we flew "Air Aruba"?

You could get a chair/spot on the beach before all the cruise ships started to arrive.

I know the aruba economy needs them. But, when there are two or more large ships in port the beaches are invaded by some before 9:00 am. They arrive on Eagle Beach by the bus loads.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Aruba since 1979
    if this is something you want to pursue, please start a new thread in the "general".

my question ebb is.... are the cruise passengers using the beach furniture that is provided by your resort (is your resort renting out lounges palapas?)
    again, please begin new thread if we want to have a discussion on that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Beach Boy View Post
    You could get a chair/spot on the beach before all the cruise ships started to arrive.

I know the aruba economy needs them. But, when there are two or more large ships in port the beaches are invaded by some before 9:00 am. They arrive on Eagle Beach by the bus loads.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast