Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba Strike

Aruba Strike

Has anyone heard about the public employee strike. I guess it caused havoc this weekend and the traffic couldn't move so the tourists that had to catch a flight walked to the airport pulling their luggage.

Druif Beach, Downtown, our condo at Divi Golf and Beach resort, the pool there, Smokey Joes BBQ, Salt and Pepper, Mi Dushi Bagels, El Gaucho, Pizza Bob's...everything!
    I did a search on that and didn't find any info at all on it. Also, here is a link to an Aruba newspaper just for information on happenings in Aruba.

http://www.arubatoday.com/index.php?...book&book_id=3

Hope that isn't true about the strike, and if so, hope it ends soon!

There have been reports on Amigoe's website
    http://www.amigoe.com/english/

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    i just read the article...what is cao? I couldn't understand anything in that article....anyone got any idea??? cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    i just read the article...what is cao? I couldn't understand anything in that article....anyone got any idea??? cindy
    Amigoe has news from each of the ABC islands. This is the article that is relevant:

Unions reject proposal government again

On Saturday afternoon, these was a long queue of cars
    on the main road between San Nicolas and Oranjestad, after striking public employees held the intersection near the airport occupied for one hour.

ORANJESTAD – The public employees’ unions have rejected a proposal of the government again last Saturday. Around 13:00 on Saturday they conducted a protest march from the Simar-building in Sabana Blanco to the airport and back, which caused a traffic jam on the main road for quiet some time.

Several tourists that had to catch a plane, decided to walk to the airport while dragging their luggage behind them. A spokesperson of the government, Manolo Giel informed the unions on Saturday that there is a new proposal from the government. Giel didn’t know what the content of the proposal is, but he said that the government has suggested laying down the earlier proposed committee via a ministerial disposition. But the unions have rejected this suggestion also. The actions continued on Sunday with a rally that with 120 cars went all over Aruba, even through the country roads.

Aruba since 1979
    boy would i be $issed if i had a flight to catch and this disrupted my travel plans.

that being said, when unions end up having to do something drastic like this to make folks aware of an issue, you can bet that it is serious in nature.

i would be interested in hearing 1st hand tourist reports of the congestion nightmare at the rotary and their airport trek recounts.

this is so unfortunate.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by chs4 View Post
    Amigoe has news from each of the ABC islands. This is the article that is relevant:

CindyO

I believe cao stands for "collective agreement" that is the actual document between the union and employer.

Yes, it's a headache

I live in Savaneta and the strike has been a real pain. Trash collection stopped for several days and we did see the union caravan driving through Noord. Luckily, we were going in the other direction! I didn't actually see the mess at the airport, but heard about it later on the local news. I feel for the locals who haven't had a pay increase in far too long. Oduber must have raised a ton of dough with the 3% BBO, and yet there's no money for raises. Hmmmmmm ...

Hurting the tourists may get attention but not in a positive manner. People only get angry and their sympathies do not go to the strikers!!

BY THE WAY: Aruba today....see previous posts!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

It seems like these activities are only a protest and not an actual work stopping strike. Does anyone have any idea how long the workers have been without an agreement they consider suitable?

I sure hope their marches do not turn into actual strikes! That could really shut things down with such a small base of workers on the island. It is one thing to call in replacement workers when you live on the mainland US compared to the relative isolation of a southern Caribbean island.
    Aruba History:
    Lou: Visited on a cruise in 2005
    Lou&Nay: Will visit on our honeymoon 9/2008

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast