Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba Strike

Just flew out of Aruba yesterday

Hi all,

My husband and I left Aruba on that American Airlines flight coming from New York. All is still functioning at the airport...just very slowly. Those flights were diverted to Curacao because they were running low on fuel from having to circle the airport waiting for clearance to land due to the understaffed air traffic controllers. They landed in Curacao, refuled, and came back to Aruba. The plane was promptly cleaned out and we departed about an hour and a half later than expected.

It seems as though it's still busienss as usual in Aruba...sunny skies, friendly folks, lovely beaches...and all the locals assure us that the government and the judge will not allow anything to happen that would hurt their most important economic engine - tourism. So...while you may possibly be an hour or so late getting in, you'll probably still arrive to enjoy your Aruba vacation!

Banned

Public Workers took over the Parlament Building today......

I have been following the situation in Aruba with the manifestation, today public workers stormed in the Parlaiment Building and took over the Building demanding certain Ministers to sit down with them and to come with the solution for this problem but they are no where to be found in the Building. Which is adjusment in their salaries because of the cost of live is getting real expensive for the people in Aruba. Like to hear from others that flew to and out of Aruba this week in particular this past Monday and Tuesday and also this Friday, Saturday and Sunday coming which where they are organizing another manifestation at the airport again. I'm also interested in hearing if there were any problems with luggage pick up on arrival at the airport. I am leaving next Monday I hope they have a cooling off period then.
    Even though I am all in favor for their manifestation against the Goverment that has been promising the public workers raises since 2002 and has not delivered. I just hope it does not effect anybody that has planned their trip for Aruba. Because the Goverment do not want law suits from airlines that have to reemburs money to folks that had to cancel their trips to Aruba not to mention hotels in Aruba that would have cancelations also. Will post more updates as they come available......

This is my first post here. I posted years ago - I think when we first started going to Aruba, back in the late 90's (when you didn't have to register). Anyhoo, my friend and I are off to Aruba this coming Saturday.

I'm so concerned by what I'm reading here about the strike.

I know it's usually a slow process once you're there, but I want to get there without a lot of hoopla and drama. (I know that's what we all want). I will keep my eye on this post and hope all goes ok.

Beach of ABC/CDM, Alto Vista Chapel, Natural Bridge area,
    We flew back from Aruba last Saturday. Luckily, we were already inside the airport prior to their demonstration. They marched through the airport while (what appeared to be) banging on drums and hollering in a very loud voice - typical demonstration. We were an hour late in our departure and friends of ours were three hours late in their departure (different airlines). I do not know if this was coincidental or had to do with workers.

When we arrived on 3/15, the strikers were demonstrating and blocked the airport for taxi arrivals. Many seniors were left with their luggage in front of the airport as the only way to obtain a taxi was to walk out to the main road. When we arrived, we circled the airport a couple of times - something we have never done before in over 20 visits. There was speculation that the air controllers were tring to show their power (this was also told to passeners on a flight the next day by a pilot). There had been a problem with acquiring certain dairy products (milk, cheese, eggs) a couple of weeks previous according to friends of ours. At one point, the strikers had also blocked the road through the downtown area. I visited the Aruba Tourist Assn. and tried to obtain current information so as not to pass on misinformation. They were not real informative - guess they didn't want to give any anti-Aruba info to tourists. I was able to obtain information from non governmental employees in high positions and they stated that it was possible that there could be a shortage in grocery foods, blockage of streets; however, the strikers were required to give 48 hours notice prior to striking.

I noted that many individuals on their first trip to Aruba were extremely upset over the marches and the possibility of having further problems. I understand the workers problems; however, their marching/striking should be aimed at the governmental buildings/government - not at tourists who keep them in jobs. They do not need to hurt the aura of Aruba.

Airport is coping with consequences of the strikes
    Last Update: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 http://www.amigoe.com/english/

The airport fire fighters started their actions immediately after the verdict of the judge.

ORANJESTAD – The airport of Aruba has missed four flights yesterday due to actions of the fire brigade. Two Continental flights diverted to Bonaire and Curacao. Also an American flight diverted to Curacao and one of US Airways to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Aruba Airport Authority (AAA) has not decided yet whether she will appeal the decision of the judge to allow actions. However, spokesperson Hendrik Croes van AAA indicated that AAA will most probably not appeal.

The judge decided yesterday that collective actions of the fire fighters’ union Sinba are allowed, unless AAA and the government are informed 24 hours in advance of the actions. They must be at work two full days in a row after one day of strike; three full days after two days of strike; and four full days after three days of strike.

When the actions continue or resumed, the union must always consider this schedule.

The unions have not announced actions for today, not tomorrow. Airline companies won’t have to divert to other airports today. The airport could not guarantee a minimum staffing of the fire brigade during the strike hours noon till 18:00. The Aviation Administration has therefore decided to inform all the companies that were coming to Aruba of this. That’s when the three airline companies decided to divert.

The diversion of the 4 flights was an inconvenience for the passengers, mostly tourists, because it was not until they were in the aircraft that they heard that the aircraft received a different destination, without hotel reservation. The diversion of the aircrafts had also consequences for the hotel- and the entire tourism sector.

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) is in Aruba Currently for a safety audit of the airport. This has nothing to do with the strikes, but it is a sad concurrence of circumstances. Representatives of AAA and ICAO deliberated this morning and the details whether to continue with the audit was not clear when this paper went to press. This audit is part of the ICAO inspections of all the airports of the Kingdom.

Government in court of appeals against public employees' Unions
    Last Update: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 http://www.amigoe.com/english/

The unions were very pleased with the Judge’s decision in the lawsuit against the fire brigade yesterday.

ORANJESTAD – The government is going to appeal yesterday’s verdict in the lawsuit against the fire fighters, union Sinba. An appeal is also lodged against the verdict of April 3 in the lawsuit against Seppa, SADA, Simar, and SPA.

Lawyer Anthony Ruiz that represents the government said that they have requested an emergency appeal. He expects the Joint Court to take up the case next week already. The government is clearly not pleased with the verdict of yesterday that the fire fighters may take part in the strike and collective actions. The government and Aruba Airport Authority (AAA) demanded a strike- and actions ban on penalty of a 500.000 florin fine imposed on each hour or part of the hour that is not worked.

The judge dismissed both claims. The announced action of the fire brigade is aimed at holding up all the work for arriving- and departing traffic at the airport, said the judge, and that was justified in the verdict of April 3. He says that no new facts and circumstances were brought forward that can make him judge differently. “That the consequences can be that the airport must close during the actions, is a situation that was already taken into account and considered acceptable in the verdict of April 3.” So, the judge acknowledged the right to strike of the fire brigade, but continue with the restrictions in the verdict of April 3. The strike or actions of the fire fighters at the airport must be organized in such way that they are immediately available in case of calamities and can also give assistance.

Hi... just looking for a local update... we fly out Sunday morning.

I flew out yesterday morning without incident on American to Miami. Left right on time.

We came home from Aruba yesterday. Made it from AA check-in thru arrival at gate (including duty free shopping) in one hour. Plane left on time. We experienced no delays. While out and about did not see evidence of a strike.
    Nancy K

Next Aruba trip in

Hey there folks.

The lovely lady and I flew in from Oranjestad last night, and other than a wee bit of rain, it would seem that everything is as normal as can be in paradise. The gov't "slowdowns" don't seem to be having a major effect on anything except the gov't. The general public just goes on day by day doing as they do, and in true Aruban style, nothing changes. A little bit of wandering around the streets to perhaps stall the traffic a bit, but in reality, traffic is traffic and it's going to go slow no matter where you are.

I'd like to thank everyone who came out to my workshop/clinic at the Tamarijn, and especially like to thank the wonderful folks at the resort. They are the best!!!
    Frances, Karin, Isa, Imelda, Roland and his lovely wife Renata, Lesly, Alicia & Freddy at the timeshare booth....
    jeez, I could go on all day.
    We miss you all already and we just got home.

I do have one query of some folks though....

Everyone keeps going on about how Renaissance Mall is keeping the shops open until 10:00 pm.
    I guess they set the time differently there, because it would seem to me that when you walk through the mall at 6:30 or 7:00 pm, and you can't get in the doors of the shops, you would have to assume that the stores are closed. And yes, before you ask, we did go back to double check.

Ahh, Aruba time. Gotta love it. And indeed we do.

Okay, 51 more weeks. The countdown started last night when we got the first blast of Canadian cold air.

Enjoy the sun everyone, send our love to Aruba.

be well, brightest of blessings

Mr. Ratt
    www.heyoka-healing.com
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast