Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba Strike

Mr Ratt

When they made announcements, they refered to you as Michael. I'm assuming that is your first name, but did not want to ask " hey, are you Mr. Ratt" Did speak with you once about the difference between the high rise and the Tam ( night and day) down by the bunker bar. I must say I thought you might have been in a band( not that that is a bad thing). Oh well, have a good year, and if I see you next year, I'll say hi!

Lawyer Land: ‘Judge’s verdict unacceptable’
    Last Update: Monday, April 14, 2008
    http://www.amigoe.com/english/
    Public employees on strike have blocked the main road to the airport again last Saturday morning. With this action they want to add force to their demands on salary indexation again.

ORANJESTAD – Lawyer Anthony Ruiz refers to the verdict of last Friday I the lawsuit against fire fighters’ union Sinba as ‘unbelievable and unacceptable’. “The judge has twisted his own words in the verdict of April 3 and that of his colleague in the verdict of April 8.”

After the verdict last Friday, Ruiz, who represents the Land, immediately lodged an appeal against this verdict, even before it was put on paper. “This is unacceptable.” The appeal comes up in court tomorrow afternoon and also the verdict of last Friday will most probably come up. The lawyer is pleased with the fast handling. “It proofs that the Court is taking the case seriously, because the procedure is usually not so fast.” The ‘unannounced’ actions of the fire fighters on Friday had almost caused the airport to close. “That’s what Buckley (lawyer Lisette Buckley that represents AAA, red.) tried to explain. Thanks to the duty officer that immediately called reserve personnel that immediately answered, the airport could remain open. And the judge now says that because of that, the problem was not so serious; that the problem was not serious because the duty officer has anticipated the actions. Unbelievable.”

The judge decided in the verdict of April 8 that despite understaffing, the fire fighters are allowed to go on strike. The actions are connected to the same conditions in the verdict of April 3 for air traffic controllers, customs, police, immigration, and KIA. The fire fighter had to inform the government of their actions 24 hours in advance, but they didn’t. But the judge now says that this was not necessary, because the unions have already informed of the actions per letter. “He forgets that Sinba was part of the defence in the first lawsuit.” Ruiz says that the judge indicated that the actions do not need to be announced every time, because it is an unbroken action. “But the verdict of April 3 states that each action must be announced in advanced and not after a cooling-off period. The judge said Friday that he didn’t mean it like that, but also the opposite party has understood it like that.” He refers to the actions of the air traffic controllers that were announced in advanced every time.

The actions of the fire fighters didn’t have much influence on the airport. Even Sinba admitted that the results of the actions were not what they have expected. Management members and fire fighter that do not take part in the strike took over the work. So they organized a protest march from the fire station to the airport and back. It was just the traffic that was hindered for some time. Actions are also planned for today.

Greetings, and yes indeed, that was me.
    Actually, I get people coming up to me and saying,
    "Are you Mr. Ratt?" all the time, so it wouldn't have been a problem.
    They actually know me as that as well, and good guess, yes, a musician. That's how they know me first.
    The place brings out changes in people, sometimes not so big, sometimes really big.

Well, 362 days to go....

grin and bear it. At least it's wonderfully warm in the sun here.
    Let's see how long I can maintain this healthy, warm glow.

be well all, enjoy the island when you get there
    If you go to the Tamarijn, send 'em all my love

Mr. Ratt
    www.heyoka-healing.com
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

American Airlines wants to cancel flights

American Airlines wants to cancel flights
    Last Update: Tuesday, April 15, 2008

ORANJESTAD -- American Airlines has threatened to cancel all her flight for this coming weekend. That’s what the American airline company has told Tourism-minister Edison Briesen, says Prime Minister Nelson Oduber (MEP).

Management of American Airlines told Briesen in an e-mail that the company is concerned about the ‘unstable situation’ in Aruba. The company also requests a guarantee that the airplanes can land without any problems this coming weekend. “If we cannot give them this guarantee, they will cancel the flights, and that is a very serious matter”, said Oduber.

Airport director Peter Steinmetz indicated yesterday that he regrets the fact that the public employees’ actions are concentrating on the airport. “I regret the fact that they are trying to interfere with the landing and taking off of airplanes. I am not saying that the actions aren’t rightful, but we are not really a party in this matter and we are only trying to drive the economic engine of Aruba.” Steinmetz also confirms that there was a bomb alert last Saturday, which turned out to be false alarm. An investigation on who did it is still going.

Again no agreement on indexation
    Last Update: Tuesday, April 15, 2008
    Hundreds of public employees were in front of the Government Building, waiting patiently for the result of the negotiations between government and the unions.

ORANJESTAD –The demonstrating public employees’ unions (SDA) still met with the government yesterday to negotiate. Both parties seemed to have gotten closer to each other after the government came with a new offer of an extra 110 million florins spread over three years. But the unions still rejected this offer after six hours of negotiations, and both parties are in an impasse again.

When this paper went to press this morning, the public employees gathered again at the Juliana School to protest. The government said that she does no longer know what to do. After weeks of heavy criticism back and forth, yesterday’s euphoria of serious negotiations between both parties, seemed of short duration. Even though the unions have first rejected the government’s invitation, they still appeared at the Government’s office around noon. “They didn’t want to go at first; they wanted to come to the parliament building. The unions have approached me asking whether the government has already reacted on the letter of the parliamentary party-leaders. I told them that it would be better for them to show their goodwill and go talk with the government and confront her with the letter:, said Rudy Lampe (RED).

Prime Minister Nelson Oduber and the ministers Nilo Swan, Edison Briesen, and Booshi Wever presented the unions with a ‘new serious offer’ yesterday. The government has offered to pay effective January 1, 2008 a monthly amount of 100 florins for the loss of buying power. That is 15 florins more than the last offer. The government is also willing to pay 2 percent extra during the coming 3 years and increase the bashi premium from 500 to 884 florins. There are some conditions for the 6 percent indexation, like adjustment of the pension scheme, so no pension is build over the part of the salary that the AOV covers. The government also wants the unions to cooperate in performing a core task analysis and performance orientation of the public service.

The unions didn’t accept that and they have eased their demands. Instead of 170 florins extra per month, they asked 125; for the next three years they asked 3.3 percent, 0.3 percent less. But the government couldn’t agree with that. “That is irresponsible. We will land in the same situation as in Curacao.”

According to Minister Swaen, the negotiations didn’t go very smooth. “This is mainly because the union leaders are spreading bad information. From the figures of the union it appeared yesterday that they told their members that they are asking an extra 170 florin per month, but that’s not true. They are asking for 140 florins. We are actually very close to each other. But it is very difficult to sell this to your members that already assumed 170 florins and even 230 in the beginning.”

Wow, not good if this happens. It will have lingering effects...

I hope they something done as soon as possible.

It appears as though the airport was not of concern earlier and is now a big concern.

We leave in 2/1/2 weeks. Do you think this will effect our arrival? If American cancels flights, what does AA do to make up for this, does this back up flights or is trip cancelled all together? Is there a dead line for negotiations? Also, if flight leaves and is re-routed to other aiport, do they provide accomodations or are you stuck at airport until they can get you into Aruba? We are only in Aruba for 4 nights, I would hate to be cut short because of all of this. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm wondering if we should cancel our trip for May - We leave out of Chicago Sat May 10 - We are flying US Airways. Any suggestions as to what to do? This would be our 3rd trip and I'm so excited but w/ the airlines wanting to cancel flights I'm not sure we would make it there and lose out.

We are leaving on American tomorrow morning. Do you think we will be all set. I noticed they were talking about this weekend.
    Anyone know??
    Thanks so much...getting nervous

Aruba since 1979
    i am beginning to be nervous.
    we travel to aruba on the 23rd a wednesday and home on the 3rd a saturday
    i guess we just keep reading the amigoe and hoping that the dispute settles
    andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmelly View Post
    We are leaving on American tomorrow morning. Do you think we will be all set. I noticed they were talking about this weekend.
    Anyone know??
    Thanks so much...getting nervous
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-16-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast