Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba Strike

Quote Originally Posted by lou&nay View Post
    It seems like these activities are only a protest and not an actual work stopping strike. Does anyone have any idea how long the workers have been without an agreement they consider suitable?

I sure hope their marches do not turn into actual strikes! That could really shut things down with such a small base of workers on the island. It is one thing to call in replacement workers when you live on the mainland US compared to the relative isolation of a southern Caribbean island.
    Various groups have been having "work stoppages" and "walk outs". Various groups, such as the police department and air traffic control to name two are requesting pay increases, in varying amounts. A couple of number I have read were 2 - 5%.

The short story is that many of these people have not received raises in up to 5+ years and inflation the month of December alone was above 10%.

There have been some reports in English at http://www.amigoe.com/english/ Unfortunately they do not have an archive or I could give you exact details.

The strikes mostly concentrate on governmental jobs, Arubans usually are very passive in nature so even if they strike usually they just bend down their heads and give in to the government, we will see this time if that happens again, I surely o hope not, this actual government needs to go!!. They only work for themselves and their group of family not much has been achieved for the rest of the island. I'am from Aruba but live in DC now but I'am there at least once a month and I keep up on a daily basis everything that goes on on the island. Hotels and other tourist areas are not affected and wont be so life will go on as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson from DC View Post
    I surely o hope not, this actual government needs to go!!.
    Aren't they up for re-election this year??? If not they should be.

Keep us posted!

Hi everyone,

I'm bummed out to hear about the strike...5 years without a raise??

I'd like to stay in the loop, since my parents are heading down to Aruba this Saturday and my husband and I are going on the 29th (YAY!!), but I'm now concerned as to how this will affect our travel plans. No air traffic controllers means no air traffic, right? Not to mention trash pickup, etc.

Now as i realize how selfish that post probably sounded, I'll stop! I plan to keep checking amigoe, but I'll look forward to hearing other updates on this forum!

Thanks...you all are too cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyster007 View Post
    No air traffic controllers means no air traffic, right?
    This is by no means a full, walk out strike. These are brief interuptions in daily activities where the employees walk off the job for a matter of an hour or two.

The airport has been suffering delays, but I not sure that this is even related to the issue. It has been reported that managers are filling in when the employees walk off their jobs. I know someone whose flight departed 1/2 hour late and another 2 hours late.

The strike isn't affecting the tourism life. It's barely affecting the locals. I myself live and work in Aruba. The strikes are only for some government offices. They want a 4% raise.
    The only thing I've noticed is the traffic jam downtown in the afternoon and that my garbage hasn't been picked up in 1 week. Most resorts and restaurants don't use the governments sanitation service, they use Ecotech, an independent recycling company. So the island is still getting cleaned up.

The airport is the same as usual. The delays are not related to the strike. The delays are related to Curacao. Curacao actually regulates the air traffic in Aruba. They give the permission for plaines to land and depart. Allot of people don't actually know this.

The government election is next year. September 2009. The slowest month of tourism on the island.

It doesn't matter where you are in the world, politicians will be politicians. Unfortunately the politicians in Aruba are not different from the rest of the world. I hope the strikes do stop soon.

If you are a tourist coming to the 'One Happy Island' rest assure you will be seeing an 'One Happy Island'. The people who are striking hired deejays to stand along side of the road to give them music as they are striking. So still when the Aruban people strike we party. One happy island indeed!

I can put up with some traffic and inconvenience especialy if it means a better quality of life for others

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaSalsa View Post
    The airport is the same as usual. The delays are not related to the strike. The delays are related to Curacao. Curacao actually regulates the air traffic in Aruba. They give the permission for plaines to land and depart. Allot of people don't actually know this.
    Believe me this has been on going problem. We suffered a delay in our departure on January 3, and another friend suffered an arrival delay January 6 which actually caused her flight to be diverted to Venezuela before the plane ran out of fuel ArubaSalsa, is Curacao's problem more computer related, than a personnel situation?

IMHO, I think the key is to be a little flexible. It took us an extra 45 minutes to get to our hotel in December due to traffic downtown, but that was due to Christmas shoppers.

I absolutely believe you Arubalisa!

The situation in Curacao is a very complexed one. Curacao actually controls a big portion of the Caribbean airspace. Curacao is in charge of all the Netherlands Antilles islands and Aruba. The area Curacao actually covers reaches all the way to the Dominican Republic. Curacao tends to get blamed for the delays we have in Aruba. If there is an airplane in Curacao and in Aruba that have to depart at the same time the traffic controllers will let the one in Curacao leave first, even when you realize that Aruba has much more air traffic. It's political in some way.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    We have been here since Sunday evening.
    We have seen small parts of downtown, where a short section of the road was blocked, with people (on strike) standing having a small party on the side of the road.
    This has caused some delays and detours going through Oranjestad, but nothing major.
    As tourist here, we have not experienced any other changes to normal, and this is even though it's been Flag day and Easter holiday is starting.
    At the hotels, the restaurants, the shops, the notary office, the banks etc. it is almost completely unnoticed.
    So the effect to us and you as a visitor, is so far, well within limits of what is acceptable. It is still paradise here

Carsten

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast