Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba Strike

Howdy,

I was there last week, there was a huge congregation of workers fairly well organized at the large dirt area by the Valero, by the Harbor. I mean there was quite a group, and the Aruba TV was there as well. I have been told that they are striking pertaining to the utility workers and no contract for many years. We drove through it and there were no problems.
    I left on Tuesday and I had a Taxi pick us up, we went the back way to the airport no problem whatsoever. He said that the downtown was full, due to the massive amount of people walking in protest.

That is my report.

Oh no!

I'm definitely getting a little worried now! Here's the latest news from Amigoe.com. Any words of consolation or wisdom?? I don't want to miss out on Aruba this year!!

Unions: No longer minimum staffing
    Yesterday, a large group of public employees on strike unexpectedly joined the parade in honour of the Day of the Flag and National Anthem. The protest march went quietly, but a number of bystanders didn’t appreciate the action.[/font]
    ORANJESTAD – The public employees’ unions are no longer going to stick to their word before the judge last Friday. They are no longer going to guarantee the minimum staffing of vital government services like police, fire brigade, immigration, and air traffic control.[/
    The deadline for the government to come with a ‘serious’ proposal was moved from Tuesday evening to 09:00 today. The civil servants were incited to gather in front of Julianaschool at 10:00. The union was going to tell them how to intensify the actions. However, the attendance was low at 10:30; about 60 people.
    The government had another proposal on Saturday, in which she indicated for the first time that she wants to talk about indexation. The proposal included a ministerial disposition of Premier Nelson Oduber, in which a Study Group Legal Position improvement is formally set up.
    This study group must no later than April 8, submit a proposal with ‘the issue of indexation or compensation for cost of living within the financial means of the government’. The premier’s reason for setting up this study group is that the National Ordinance Material Civil Service Right (LMA) requires this. In conformity with this law, the improvement of the legal position of the civil service must be done in the Central Committee for organized deliberation. [/font]
    From the disposition it appears that the government acknowledges the right to strike of the public employees. She also observes that ‘in this deliberation process, the basic assumptions of the unions and the government are flatly opposed’. The government furthermore wants to know what the unions think of the legal position improvements, before submitting a definite proposal’. [/font]
    The unions indicated soon after on Saturday that they won’t accept that proposal either. A huge protest march was organized yesterday during the parade in the honour of the Day of the Flag and National Anthem. Some bystanders didn’t appreciate this and were very angry. “This is disrespectful! This is our day; how dare they”, said an older woman. Premier Oduber said that now that the strike has indurate, its consequences are for the union. He called on everybody that suffers damages as a result of the strike, to take this to court. According to Tourism-minister Edison Briesen, some airline companies have already indicated that they have suffered damage. But before he goes public with this, he wants to wait for the report of the Aviation Administration. [/font]
    According to spokesperson Hendrik Croes of Aruba Airport Authority (AAA), management has decided that in case the air traffic controllers walk out, they will redirect aircrafts with destination Aruba to the airports of Curacao and Bonaire. “Despite the minimum staffing, the airport is at this moment not troubled by the strikes. Only problem is that everybody that is present, must work extra hard.”[/font]
    Other media reported yesterday that the minimum staffing does lead to obvious problems. Because of that, two aircrafts arrived later than was scheduled. Croes contradicts that: “The reason was that yesterday, the airport of Curacao didn’t give clearance for departure when the aircrafts wanted to go.”
    Nobody of the government was available this morning for comments on the announcement of the union to no longer guarantee minimum staffing.

So, "flights directed to Curacao and Bonaire"? But my hotel and my heart is in Aruba!

I'm very worried about this too. Does anyone have uptodate news about the strike and the air traffic controller situation? We're leaving for Aruba Monday.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaSalsa View Post
    The strike isn't affecting the tourism life. It's barely affecting the locals. I myself live and work in Aruba. The strikes are only for some government offices. They want a 4% raise.
    The only thing I've noticed is the traffic jam downtown in the afternoon and that my garbage hasn't been picked up in 1 week. Most resorts and restaurants don't use the governments sanitation service, they use Ecotech, an independent recycling company. So the island is still getting cleaned up.

The airport is the same as usual. The delays are not related to the strike. The delays are related to Curacao. Curacao actually regulates the air traffic in Aruba. They give the permission for plaines to land and depart. Allot of people don't actually know this.

The government election is next year. September 2009. The slowest month of tourism on the island.

It doesn't matter where you are in the world, politicians will be politicians. Unfortunately the politicians in Aruba are not different from the rest of the world. I hope the strikes do stop soon.

If you are a tourist coming to the 'One Happy Island' rest assure you will be seeing an 'One Happy Island'. The people who are striking hired deejays to stand along side of the road to give them music as they are striking. So still when the Aruban people strike we party. One happy island indeed!

ArubaSalsa is on the island, I would take this observation for what it is worth.

Like I said in a prior post, we suffered problems due to Curacao Air Traffic Controllers way back in January. This is a separate situation and ongoing. My friend whose flight was diverted to Venezuela a few days later still arrived the same day, just much later.

I am sorry if this is not much consolation, there are no guarantees, just know that the Aruban government is VERY aware of the value of tourism to their island, even more so during Easter week.

The Beach, the ocean, the sun, the breeze and something refreshing to sip!

Question

So are you saying that when you fly into Aruba, they might make you land somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by corinne17 View Post
    So are you saying that when you fly into Aruba, they might make you land somewhere else?
    My friend's flight was diverted to Venezuela to pick up more fuel. Curacao Air Traffic Control would not allow their Delta flight from Atlanta to land in Aruba. The pilot did not want to run out of fuel, so went to Venezuela, picked up more fuel and then flew back to Aruba.

By then Curacao Air Traffic Control allowed them to land. This happened on January 6. Had nothing whatsoever to do with island works stoppages. My point originally was that on the day we departed, January 3, we were told that it was computer troubles for Air Traffic Control in Curacao.

The situation in Curacao is a very complexed one. Curacao actually controls a big portion of the Caribbean airspace. Curacao is in charge of all the Netherlands Antilles islands and Aruba. The area Curacao actually covers reaches all the way to the Dominican Republic. Curacao tends to get blamed for the delays we have in Aruba. If there is an airplane in Curacao and in Aruba that have to depart at the same time the traffic controllers will let the one in Curacao leave first, even when you realize that Aruba has much more air traffic. It's political in some way.

Thanks for condensing all that info into a couple of posts ArubaLisa. That's such a help. Hopefully, we'll get more encouraging news from those traveling this weekend.

I know one thing, you might catch me walking to town from the airport w/ suitcase in tow, but I definitely won't be making a trip back to the airport that way. I'm much more motivated to get to my hotel than to leave it.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Could be Ugly!!!

Aruba Strike

Wondering if anyone is cancelling their plans to go to Aruba after hearing of the troubles that seem to be going on there??? We are due to leave in a week and wonder if it will be okay!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    Wondering if anyone is cancelling their plans to go to Aruba after hearing of the troubles that seem to be going on there??? We are due to leave in a week and wonder if it will be okay!!!!

We are due to leave on wed. 3-26 and are still planning to do so unless the brides cold gets worse

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast