Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba Strike

Patch - that's my worry, too! We leave on the 29th. I called our airline, and they are unaware of it as of right now. They said they would give a voucher for our tickets that could be used within one year of the date of purchase. Doesn't help us much, since we're staying with family that have a timeshare next week.

I hope that any kind Aruba locals on this board can help keep us posted as to how the strike is going...? Amigoe.com has a new article on it, but it's in Dutch only. Tried to translate on Babel Fish, but it doesn't make much sense.

Arubalisa, I'm sure, is right in saying the government knows what they're doing and how bad it could be for their economy if air travel came to a halt, but of course, as she said there can be no guarantees right now.

So, any Aruba locals, we'll call on you for your insight whenever you can offer it!! And we hope to SEE you next week!

Aruba Strike

We leave on the 29th too.. out of Boston... might check with our travel agent.. but just wondered what others were thinking...makes one a tad leary.. Don't ya think???

The Beach, the ocean, the sun, the breeze and something refreshing to sip!
    I would feel leary too and still feel that way leaving april 5th. I'm hoping for the best for everyone and i'm looking forward to hearing what the weekend brings.

Strike

We got caught up in the strike. We had no problem getting to or through the airport but we sat on the runway for over 1.5 hours waiting for departure. It appeared there was one plane departing per hour. It was not horrible. We were on American direct to JFK, but got a text message from people on Continental direct to Laguardia who were also sitting on the runway for over 1.5 hours. The pilot indicated it was no fault of AA and there was nothing he could do, just wait it out. I'm sure the strikers are still demonstrating/protesting at the airport. The government has not given the contracted raises to workers according to the taxi driver.

I'm going in 5+ weeks (4/30) & hope its settled by then.

If this is an Aruba strike, but the Air traffic is controlled
    by Curacao, why is there any delay taking off ?

I fugured the delays would be everything except that.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEP502 View Post
    I'm going in 5+ weeks (4/30) & hope its settled by then.

If this is an Aruba strike, but the Air traffic is controlled
    by Curacao, why is there any delay taking off ?

I fugured the delays would be everything except that.
    A local Aruban has stated it this way....

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaSalsa View Post
    The situation in Curacao is a very complexed one. Curacao actually controls a big portion of the Caribbean airspace. Curacao is in charge of all the Netherlands Antilles islands and Aruba. The area Curacao actually covers reaches all the way to the Dominican Republic. Curacao tends to get blamed for the delays we have in Aruba. If there is an airplane in Curacao and in Aruba that have to depart at the same time the traffic controllers will let the one in Curacao leave first, even when you realize that Aruba has much more air traffic. It's political in some way.

I saw Arubasalsa's post above earlier.

But from that, you infer that the ATC delays on takeoffs
    would be there already, independent of the strike ?

We have had delays at the airport several times over the past twenty years and none of them had to do with a strike. A few years ago we got stuck at the airport because of a power outage in the noirtheast. Last August we sat on the tarmac because of Hurricane Dean here in the states and we were not allowed to leave until a clear route could be established to get back to the states. Don't let a slow down at the airport stop your trip as this slow down won't effect your trip in any way once you are on the island. Go and enjoy!

Thanks everyone, but...

Hi all,
    While it is really cool that you're all giving us consolation from your past experiences of delays and what not, those are all quite a bit different from what could happen should a strike occur! No air traffic controllers means no air traffic, not just delays. So, that's what we're all on the edge of our seats about. Not to mention the state that the island would be in without their police or fire workers...

Like I mentioned earlier, it will be nice to hear from folks on the island who are in the loop and can let us know how negotiations are going and whether it looks like there will be a walk-out...and if there is a walk-out, what the plan is to minimize the impact of it.

But, that's probably the stressed-out, non-islandized (yet) Type-A Amiercan in me talking. Still worried, and hoping to get some good updates here.

Smile

Last Sunday my friend was flying home from Aruba. They sat on the plane for 2 hours. Then they miised their flight in Charlett. They said it would be Monday before they could get them home. He had to be at work Monday so they rented a car a drove 12 hours to get home. It was also their honeymoon.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast