Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba Strike

Hi Megan - we have friends and family on the island right now and the island is exactly the way it should be. The strike is by government workers and isn't affecting the tourists at all.

We're leaving for Aruba Monday morning. Hopefully, I'll have only good news to report, but as when we get an Internet connection I'll let you know how it goes.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

The Beach, the ocean, the sun, the breeze and something refreshing to sip!
    Corona, good luck, i hope everything goes well w/ your travels and have a GREAT time! Can't wait to hear back from you!
    Have FUn....

Thanks Corinne!!!

We're keeping our fingers crossed.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Just left Friday!

Hello, my husband and I just left Aruba on Friday and experienced no problems whatsoever due to the strike. The only way we were aware of it at all was that on the way from the airport after first arriving, our taxi driver explained that he was taking us an alternate route due to the striking going on downtown. We later saw a TV report about it, but truly did not have any problems. Hope this helps!
    Lori and Scott.......JUST MARRIED IN ARUBA!
    March 17, 2008

Druif Beach, Downtown, our condo at Divi Golf and Beach resort, the pool there, Smokey Joes BBQ, Salt and Pepper, Mi Dushi Bagels, El Gaucho, Pizza Bob's...everything!
    Thanks for that update, we leave in less than 5 weeks and I've been wondering how things will go. Honestly, as long as I get there... it's Aruba! I think I can deal with it better there than I would at home! But still glad to hear you didn't encounter any problems!

Congrats on getting married! Good day to do it as well!

The Beach, the ocean, the sun, the breeze and something refreshing to sip!
    Corona is probably en route and hopefully will have no problems either. I can see their "happy to be going on Vaca. glow" while I drink my coffee.

I checked Spirits arrival time for this past Sat. and they were only delayed from Ft Lauderdale/Miami for like 11 mins. That's good news.
    I can live w/ that. 11 Days!

As much as I can't wait to get to Aruba on Sunday, the thought of a delay coming home gives me anxiety. Once I've come to the realization that our vacation is over and it's time to come home to the kids, I want to get home on time. I hope someone checks in here again with any news.

Apparently the union and government were supposed to come up with a solution by noon today, or else the situation was going to court, per the Greater New York area Aruba Tourism Authority...I called today. They have not heard anything from the local Authority on Aruba yet as to what the outcome was. I guess no news is good news so far?

My parents are down there right now, and they said that the locals are saying that there's no way the judge will let the unions put anyone's safety in danger or shut down the airport. Of course, no guarantees, but I do hope that a workable solution is found soon that's satisfying for all involved!

From Aruba Today - today:

Unions: No longer minimum staffing
    Yesterday, a large group of public employees on strike unexpectedly joined the parade in honour of the Day of the Flag and National Anthem. The protest march went quietly, but a number of bystanders didn’t appreciate the action.

ORANJESTAD – The public employees’ unions are no longer going to stick to their word before the judge last Friday. They are no longer going to guarantee the minimum staffing of vital government services like police, fire brigade, immigration, and air traffic control.
    The deadline for the government to come with a ‘serious’ proposal was moved from Tuesday evening to 09:00 today. The civil servants were incited to gather in front of Julianaschool at 10:00. The union was going to tell them how to intensify the actions. However, the attendance was low at 10:30; about 60 people.
    The government had another proposal on Saturday, in which she indicated for the first time that she wants to talk about indexation. The proposal included a ministerial disposition of Premier Nelson Oduber, in which a Study Group Legal Position improvement is formally set up.
    This study group must no later than April 8, submit a proposal with ‘the issue of indexation or compensation for cost of living within the financial means of the government’. The premier’s reason for setting up this study group is that the National Ordinance Material Civil Service Right (LMA) requires this. In conformity with this law, the improvement of the legal position of the civil service must be done in the Central Committee for organized deliberation.
    From the disposition it appears that the government acknowledges the right to strike of the public employees. She also observes that ‘in this deliberation process, the basic assumptions of the unions and the government are flatly opposed’. The government furthermore wants to know what the unions think of the legal position improvements, before submitting a definite proposal’.
    The unions indicated soon after on Saturday that they won’t accept that proposal either. A huge protest march was organized yesterday during the parade in the honour of the Day of the Flag and National Anthem. Some bystanders didn’t appreciate this and were very angry. “This is disrespectful! This is our day; how dare they”, said an older woman. Premier Oduber said that now that the strike has indurate, its consequences are for the union. He called on everybody that suffers damages as a result of the strike, to take this to court. According to Tourism-minister Edison Briesen, some airline companies have already indicated that they have suffered damage. But before he goes public with this, he wants to wait for the report of the Aviation Administration.
    According to spokesperson Hendrik Croes of Aruba Airport Authority (AAA), management has decided that in case the air traffic controllers walk out, they will redirect aircrafts with destination Aruba to the airports of Curacao and Bonaire. “Despite the minimum staffing, the airport is at this moment not troubled by the strikes. Only problem is that everybody that is present, must work extra hard.”
    Other media reported yesterday that the minimum staffing does lead to obvious problems. Because of that, two aircrafts arrived later than was scheduled. Croes contradicts that: “The reason was that yesterday, the airport of Curacao didn’t give clearance for departure when the aircrafts wanted to go.”
    Nobody of the government was available this morning for comments on the announcement of the union to no longer guarantee minimum staffing.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast