Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba Strike

That article was actually written last Thursday and originally found on Amigoe.com. Since then, there was a temporary stop put to the strike until a deal was reached with a deadline of Tuesday (today) noon.
    Unions: No longer minimum staffing

Oops! I need new glasses.

No settlement yet public employees and government
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008
    During a meeting in the union building of the Seppa in Hato yesterday afternoon, more than 100 public employees listened to the results of the special committee about the labour conflict.

ORANJESTAD – Despite the special committee that was set up through the judge last week, the public employees and the government didn’t get closer to one another on the labour conflict. The ultimatum that both parties agreed upon in the courtroom in Wayaca lapsed yesterday at noon, without success.

According to union leader Magaly Bito, this is reason for new actions. On behalf of the protesting public employees, she gives the government till Monday to come with a ‘better proposal’ than was offered during the negotiations. “We will go on strike again on Tuesday if the government does not come with an agreement on the indexation of the salaries”, said Brito during a meeting in the Seppa union building yesterday that was attended by more than 100 members.

It seems that since the special committee was established, the government and the unions are further apart than ever. Instead of Easter Monday as was agreed in court, the parties met on Good Friday already. During that meeting, the government proposed right away to pay the public employees 65 florins [$36.60] per month in compensations. Brito, who represents the unions in the committee, rejected that immediately. The deliberation continued on Saturday and on Sunday. All viewpoints were finally discussed on Monday, but yesterday it appeared that the parties didn’t make much progress. The unions were talking about their rights and the government was talking about what is financially feasible, considering the budget and the financial deficit. If the government goes for the demands of the unions, it will have to go at the expense of the entire Aruban economy, says Finance-minister Nilo Swaen.

Based on the report of the committee conversations, the judge will make a decision, but he can also send the parties back to the negotiation table.

CORRECT FIGURES
    The unions and the government disagree mainly about the correct interpretation of the figures. According to the public employees, the government manipulates the figures. The government first wanted to pay 950 florins [$534.98] compensation per year, which is 80 florins [$45.05] per month, but now they are talking about 65 florins per month. According to calculations, 65 florins per month would mean 14 million florins on the budget of the government. There was nobody available at Bureau Information or the ministry of Finance that could give more information on this.

Thanks Arubalisa, great stuff! I hope it all works out for everyone!

Sopranos Piano Bar, Café 080, Costa Linda
    As of yesterday, 3/29/08, public workers are at the table with the government, and have agreed to a "cooling off period" during which services have started up again. In the past few days, I've seen more police presence. As far as I know, the schools are still not in session.

We just returned from a wonderful week in Aruba, and experienced no unusual difficulties (other than the normal spring break madhouse). Our flight landed a half hour late last Monday due to a late start from Charlotte. We had no problems catching a cab to the hotel. The lines at the airport for our Saturday departure were horrible, but no different than the last time we traveled to Aruba over spring break with a Saturday departure. We did sit on the plane for a little under a half an hour before takeoff, but the pilot explained that there was some construction on the runway, so the flights were taking off a little slower than usual. Now, this doesn't even compare to the long delay we had in Atlanta (all 'nother story). Anyway, we had an absolutely fabulous time in Aruba. We can't wait to book our next trip!
    Last edited by corona; 03-31-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

The Beach, the ocean, the sun, the breeze and something refreshing to sip!
    Welcome back! So glad to hear you had a great time w/ no problems.

Are you going to post a trip report cause I'm looking forward to reading it?

Well, have a good day...we are on our countdown...only 5 days...

Thanks corinne.

Well, today it's mid 40s and rainy at home, and I'm longing for the warm sand and beautiful skies in Aruba!! (my trip report would read: laying on the beach, laying beside the pool now, hot tub break, okay it's back to the beach, yay - Happy Hour!, shower and dinner). ~ LOL

Have a WONDERFUL time in Aruba, corinne!!!! (Five more days? I'm so jealous. I can't wait to go back).
    Next Aruba trip in

Wecome Back - That Sounds Like What My Trip Report Would Read!! Countdown Is 10 Days To Aruba!!

Joanie A

Have a fabulous time too, Joanie! (no need to tell you that, I'm sure..)
    Next Aruba trip in

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast