Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba Strike

Strike Update April 4, 2008

Fridays' Amigoe states that the public workers are going back on strike. Are there any Arurban locals that could give us an insider's view of that is happening?

Civil servants are going to strike again
    ORANJESTAD – The civil servants associated with the SDA-unions, are going to demonstrate again. The unions have sent a last proposal to the government yesterday afternoon, but the government won’t accept it, says finance-minister Nilo Swaen. The first walk out will be that of the air traffic controllers starting tomorrow at 13:00, and followed by a general strike on Monday from 08:30 on.
    The unions have promised to comply with the verdict of the Judge, who decided yesterday that the civil servants are allowed to go on strike, but with restrictions. The employees working at the airport and in the harbour must inform the government of their actions 24 hours in advance. The unions announced the action of the air traffic controllers in a letter to the government yesterday. The tower will be staffed by just two people tomorrow from 13:00 till 18:00.
    The unions also informed the government about the actions of the other employees that have no restrictions, which starts on Monday from 08:30 on. On Tuesday follows deliberation on another action at the airport, while the personnel of the KIA, police, CEA, IASA, and fire department will also demonstrate on that same day. They will make sure there is minimum staffing though. According to the exception imposed by the judge for the fire department, the stations in San Nicolas and Tanki Flip will continue working as usual. Only the fire department personnel at the airport will walkout on Tuesday between noon and 18:00 on Tuesday.
    Spokesperson Magaly Brito said that the actions will continue till the government agrees with the last proposal of the unions, in which they ask for a salary increase of 170 florins per month per civil servant effective January 1 of this year. They also want an indexation of 10.8 percent spread over three years (2009 up till 2011 inclusive). In addition, they want an increase of the bashi-premium with 1.2 percent. They finally want that also the retired civil servants start receiving the bashi-premium starting next year and also retroactively for 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Oh crap. My trash is not going to get picked up again.

Quote Originally Posted by jlsoucy View Post
    Spokesperson Magaly Brito said that the actions will continue till the government agrees with the last proposal of the unions, in which they ask for a salary increase of 170 florins per month per civil servant effective January 1 of this year.
    170 florins = $94.97
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-05-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Does anyone out there know what impact there is on flights? I don't care if my flight out of Aruba gets cancelled, I just want to get there!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

You can be sure you will land on time or close to it. Do you think they will hold landings back after long flights when most planes won't have much fuel left? It will be departures that will be delayed.

Just don't need any flight cancellations.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Anything new? We fly out of Houston Tx Monday morning. Land in Aruba 12:55. I'm getting very nervous! Took a lot of work to get all the kids placed with family. I am so looking forward to this vacation. Have spent the last 2 weeks driving dh crazy with my planning and packing! He's a last minute type person.

No news was good news, until today! Was just saying to my wife today that I have seen nothing about the strike lately Arriving on Tuesday at 2:50, hope all is well!!

Arriving on a Tuesday should be beneficial. From what I understand, the biggest hurdle for arriving passengers is the that fact that during these "actions" it is common for only one line to be open at Aruban Immigration.

I suppose it could be worse than not being there at all.

Arubalisa,
    What about Monday arrival?? As always - Thank you!!!

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast