Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Aruban's Celebrate Holy Week.....camping!!

You would have to be invited by the campers. No one can stop you from being on the beach itself but the people who camp have permits. This year they're flying flags at almost each camping area which I assume is so that guests will know where their hosts are. Just a guess but I didn't notice it last year.

Arrow Celebrate Easter Sunday and Easter Monday

Celebrate Easter Sunday and Easter Monday together with 90,000 friends on the magical island of Aruba.

During Semana Santa (Holy Week), the tranquil ivory stretches of undisturbed beach that ring around Aruba are peppered with tents and campsites of all shapes and sizes. For generations, Arubans have packed up their families and bare necessities for their annual camping vacation at Easter time. Some have very humble accommodations, happy only with a roof of canvas over their heads. Others produce state-of-the-art tents including sanitary facilities and generators. Days are spent socializing, enjoying beach games, swimming, playing dominos and enjoying some quality time with friends and family. It's a favorite time for children who find this experience very exciting and great fun. In true Aruban style, there is always plenty to eat and drink, though barbecues are no longer permitted. Some prefer to go home to sleep in their own beds and return early the next morning.

Popular campsites run from Arashi Beach near the California Lighthouse on the north coast all the way down to Baby Beach in San Nicolas, and include spots in between such as Eagle Beach and Boca Catalina. Every family organizes their own accommodations and begins to pitch their tents and claim their spots a few days in advance. Tourists will be surprised to see so much activity and traffic in quiet sandy areas usually occupied only by visiting sunbathers and the odd sea turtle, lizard, gull and pelican.

Aruba since 1979
    thank you jojo (a member of the community forum and marketing person @ the ATA) for giving us a first hand summation...........jojo is a lifelong Aruban!

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Celebrate Easter Sunday and Easter Monday together with 90,000 friends on the magical island of Aruba.

During Semana Santa (Holy Week), the tranquil ivory stretches of undisturbed beach that ring around Aruba are peppered with tents and campsites of all shapes and sizes. For generations, Arubans have packed up their families and bare necessities for their annual camping vacation at Easter time. Some have very humble accommodations, happy only with a roof of canvas over their heads. Others produce state-of-the-art tents including sanitary facilities and generators. Days are spent socializing, enjoying beach games, swimming, playing dominos and enjoying some quality time with friends and family. It's a favorite time for children who find this experience very exciting and great fun. In true Aruban style, there is always plenty to eat and drink, though barbecues are no longer permitted. Some prefer to go home to sleep in their own beds and return early the next morning.

Popular campsites run from Arashi Beach near the California Lighthouse on the north coast all the way down to Baby Beach in San Nicolas, and include spots in between such as Eagle Beach and Boca Catalina. Every family organizes their own accommodations and begins to pitch their tents and claim their spots a few days in advance. Tourists will be surprised to see so much activity and traffic in quiet sandy areas usually occupied only by visiting sunbathers and the odd sea turtle, lizard, gull and pelican.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i have no idea if it is strictly an "aruban thing", i am sure you would not be kicked out, but this is "their family holiday time".
    Ah,I wouldn't want to intrude on quality family time.That is precious to say the least.

Aruba since 1979

Holy Week and Camping tradition

Holy week begins tomorrow (april 17)
    the following was written by our forum member jojo, an aruban.

it was posted last year and now i am posting it for this season

I was on the island last year at this same time and I saw all of the tents set up all over Eagle Beach. The island people are family people and what better way to spend time with the family. Great tradition!!!!!!!!

SOME INSIGHT ON THIS

In fact many years ago, the beaches were a disaster when the locals (I am one of them) left. However with time and strong education and monitoring of this week-end, we have become more educated on how to camp and walk away with leaving a clean environment. Some responsibility fell to the government (garbage pick-up, water and medical assistance on the ready) however the largest part of this turn around is due to the higher sense of obligation to the environment and the simple fact that this kind of camping has narrowed itself in available space, while the numbers of those wanting to attend has grown.
    The biggest problem always has been and will continue to be Alcohol mixed with sun, sand or ocean.
    I am making a short story on this event and will have it in my stories section soon. I hope you enjoy it.

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Aruba since 1979
    thanks we look forward to the snippet!

Charles, please take pictures if you can. It would be really interesting to see. We were in Bermuda during the annual "Cup" match (cricket game) between the island clubs and the whole island shuts down and the locals all camp out. It was an amzing sight-but it wasn't on the beach like this event is.

Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Baby Beach
    I go back to the early 90s when it was not regualted by the Goverment and everyone got very creative, from Cardboard shelters
    to who knows what ......now its much better and clean too....but still lots of fun....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12