Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Assisting the family of victim of ATV accident

There is another post on the forum dealing with this issue (April 16, 2010 Sad Day in Aruba) This pertains to the tragic loss of life of the husband and father of a young family due to an accident involving a allegedly drunk driver and the tourists who rented an ATV while in port on a cruise.

I am posting a new thread as a website has been established in an effort to assist this family. The website contains a link to Paypal for all those who have requested the ability to donate this way. Please visit the site at www.normanfamily.ca There you will see details on the accident and family

aquaman

I think you should include the website address for the newspaper article that was done on this family so people know this is a real story. This should also be included in this wonderful story on the Norman family. As one can appreciate, some people may think it is a scam but if they see that a real newspaper article was done that will add legitimacy to the situation.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Thank you, Aquaman, for starting this thread. I was in Aruba that day, and a close friend travelling with us saw the horrific aftermath. Those who read this thread need to know that this is all, unfortunately, true. As I named the thread I started that day "Sad Day in Aruba".
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

The Norman Family

Thank you both Randi and Rob O. You are of course correct Randi that this could appear to be a scam. It is not. Here is the post that was placed on other Forums with the press articles.

On April 16th, 2010 at approx 9:00am, Tom and Christine Norman of St Thomas, Ontario, Canada, who were visiting Aruba on a cruise ship were picking up an ATV. What happened next is tragic. An allegedly drunk driver hit them head on, killing 41yr old Tom and severely injuring his wife Christine, the mother of 3 little boys aged 2, 4 and 6.
    Christine was air-ambulanced back to Canada and today is still hospitalized. Her husband was a pilot for a small airline and due to the nature of his work was limited in the amount of insurance he could obtain.
    Given what has happened and their financial circumstances, Christine has not only lost her husband and the boys a father, but they are now facing the loss of the home and a very uncertain future. It appears that since this accident happened outside of Canada, they will not qualify for any form of assistance from the Canadian Govt.
    There has been local press on this incident here in Canada. See the links below:

http://www.stthomastimesjournal.com/Art ... ?e=2565315

http://stthomastimesjournal.com/Article ... I%20AGENCY

http://www.educationforthedrivingmasses ... f-tom.html

Rob O, the word "horrific" would not do this situation justice.

I f anyone doubts the authenticity of this matter please PM me.

I know from personal experience that there are many good and caring folks on this forum, so lets see what we can do to help this family.

Aquaman

Hi all,

I am a close friend of Christine Norman, and I have been frequenting the sites to let people know that this was one of the saddest days I have ever had...
    I have known Christine for almost 20 years, and Tom, for almost as long...
    Christine's family is beyond devastated...Tom's family is beyond words...the crazy amount of circumstances that are causing Christine even more strain...as the insurance for Tom, and the prospect of not getting anything from the aftermath of the accident...well, as her brother says "She is financially destroyed".
    Tom was one of the best men...he lived for his boys, and his love for Christine was something to envy. He bought her the cruise to Aruba 3 years ago for Valentine's day, and the card said inside "I love you, I love our boys, I love our life together"
    This was still sitting on the coffee table when Christine's family came to take care of the boys after everything...
    Christine is one of those people that you can just stay and laugh and talk to for hours...her sarcasm and fantastic humor is what I love about her...even in the most difficult situations, she stays strong...she has got to be one of the most amazing women I have ever met...and her love for Tom...
    She still cannot see a picture of him, or talk to his identical brother...it is just too hard, and it will make her realize that he is not around anymore.

If you would like to post a comment on the norman family website, in about a few weeks to a month, she will have a laptop handy, as they will allow her to have a laptop...and any words of encouragement will be appreciated!
    Please show her she is not alone in this battle...she will be in the hospital for at least another 3-4 months, and she desperately needs out help. Her boys need our help!
    Don't let her fight all of this on her own! The drunk driver made her lose everything...it is up to us to show her the kindness of the human spirit...
    Thanks all! Write me if you have any questions...

I am donating for sure! This is horriffic! When my daughter was 6 months old her father was killed in a motorcycle accident. I know all about the tragedy that the family is having to face. The only thing is I didnt have the financial burden that they have.

My heart goes out to this family. I know it will be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel for Christine. There will be light one day and I pray that it shines through for them all. It took a while for my light, but it did shine :-)

Beterschap (get well soon in Papiamento) to Christine and her family!!!

Aruba since 1979
    dushi i am sorry to hear of the loss
    tragic
    your words are very kind and helpful
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by DushiHeidi View Post
    I am donating for sure! This is horriffic! When my daughter was 6 months old her father was killed in a motorcycle accident. I know all about the tragedy that the family is having to face. The only thing is I didnt have the financial burden that they have.

My heart goes out to this family. I know it will be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel for Christine. There will be light one day and I pray that it shines through for them all. It took a while for my light, but it did shine :-)

Beterschap (get well soon in Papiamento) to Christine and her family!!!

I can not even begin to imagine how she is doing, at least she has her boys to keep her comfort and her husband is there in spirit looking after her....donating money, even though she desperately needs it does not seem to be enough...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Wouldn't the guy that hit them have insurance on his truck, and wouldn't the insurance company pay something to her??

Long answer to your short question...

Quote Originally Posted by luvsun View Post
    Wouldn't the guy that hit them have insurance on his truck, and wouldn't the insurance company pay something to her??
    Hello Luvsun,

If it were only that simple...I wish that were the case, however, Christine and Tome are/were Canadian citizens, and the incident happened in Aruba. This has caused many legal issues just in that regard alone.

From what I have been told from different sources, there is little chance for Christine and her boys to attain monies for the loss of Tom and their future together. Even if someday they do find legally they can get something, the bureaucracy of dealing with 2 different countries, and 2 completely different legal systems, it will take literally many years until she would be able to receive anything from all of this.

So that is why it is so important this fund, as this will help Christine, and it will be able to help her when she gets out of the hospital...for crazy things such as mortgage payments, food, bills for life in general, as well as education fund for the boys, as that is so important. as well, if anyone has 3 boys...that is going to be a real challenge to keep them fed in their teenage years

The whole situation is so strange...Tom did not have abundant insurance because of his job. They did not have a lot of savings, as all their disposable income went to lessons and such for their 3 boys, Christine worked part time due to the boy's school schedules, and that way it was less cost for daycare (her boys are 2,4, and 6), So not as much income from that...
    Possibly some day monies might come in from the insurance, but even then, that will be possibly in so many years, that the overall damage financially will have been done.
    As for Christine's future...no one knows that either, as she is still in the hospital, and for at least another 3 months...so in that sense, even the monies from her part time job, that is not coming in, and will she be able to work after, and at what capacity...no one knows that either...

God bless the fact that she and Tom have a wonderful family, and they are helping her through all of this...but even then, they are not rich enough to help pay for mortgage payments while she is in the hospital, pay the taxes, the utilities, the car payments, all of these things we grumble about in our daily lives. they are devastating to Christine and her family right now.

As her brother said to me when all of this first happened..."She is financially destroyed"

All of this, plus grieving the loss of her wonderful husband, and her truly best friend...I know right now, she has a lot of family around her, but at the same time without Tom, she is also feeling so alone...
    The enormity of it all still boggles my mind sometimes...what she will have to deal with, how she will be able to deal with it...having to help her boys with all of this...to this day, she still feels to guilty that it was not her that told her boys that their dad was dead...she is still even grieving that fact, and the fact that she could not go to Tom's funeral...

Sorry...getting off topic here...anyways, that is the LONG answer to your question...and I hope it has somewhat answered it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast