Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It all really sucks. We were on the Island when it happened and had just came up on the accident right after the police got there. Its very sad. I know every country does things differently its too bad that she will probably never get anything from it.

Aruba since 1979
    yup sad indeed
    a civil action against the alleged drunk driver is very rare/almost non existent in aruban law.
    i do not know of canadian benefits (like the usa version of social security benefits) for the spouse and children, but from what i have read on this topic by others, the death benefits are very slim.

this unfortunate family has to deal with the death, the injury to the mom, no life insurance benefit, the prospect of losing their home due to the financial concerns.

in the blink of an eye, so much tragedy. :-(

You know, I keep thinking about all of this...what happened that day, and wondering why...how...when...
    The situation is so crazy...the cracks Christine has fallen through regarding this is incredible...as Tom was killed by a drunk driver...strike one...the fact that he was killed in Aruba, and not Canada...strike two...the fact that there are so many legal hoops to jump through, and as Andrea so beautifully put it in regards to the legal systems in Aruba, strike three...his life insurance due to the fact he was a test pilot...strike four...and the fact that the boys...the amazing wonderful kind boys...they no longer have Tom to show them how to kick the ball in soccer, they no longer have Tom taking them to the different museums in the Ontario area...they no longer have Tom as their daddy...that is by far the biggest strike of them all...
    The saddest part of all of this, is it will take money for Christine to really be able to be able to think of the future with her boys in tow...and with all of these strikes in front of her...how can that be?? This is when the kindness of all of us help her...one dollar here, 100 dollars there...this is what will help her and her boys...
    She is so scared, and I don't blame her...this is a sad thing to admit...but I have found myself playing the lottery, in the hopes that I can win, and give her the majority of it for the boys...this is sad but true...

Thank you so much for donating if you already have to the website, and if you cannot, please, just send it via email to others who can pass it to others...let us show her she will not be alone in this...

Thanks all, with love...

The actual biggest strike of all in this whole thing is it being under dutch law. The guy that killed him will be walking on the streets one day. Its terrible.

Hello all!

It has been a while since I have posted...and so much has happened!
    Firstly, I just want to thank you amazing people who have visited the normanfamily.ca website and donated...thank you from the bottom of everyone's heart for your kindness, and donations! Even if you cannot donate, or even if you can, please get the word out there to others about the website, about Christine and her boys...they so need our help still! And again, you are amazingly kind people...thank you for keeping the flame alive!

Good news about Christine! She went to see her surgeon this morning, and it looks like she will be allowed to sit at a 90 degree angle again! This will be the first time for a long time this is able to be the case! She is also allowed to use a walker to get about, and her boys are so excited about this!
    She is possibly even able to go home for a day this weekend...however, this will be very hard for her...as she obviously not been home since the whole thing...she still will not look at a picture of Tom yet, so going home to a house full of him will be very hard...so please, whether you are religious or not...please pray for her to give her the strength for this...

Well, I thought you might be interested in the latest, and I will also be posting this info on her website...but just know that your kindness, your words, prayers, and support had made an incredible impact on her recovery...

Thanks all! Keep the flame of support going! Tell all about the website!

Melissa

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Thanks so much Melissa for the update. Please keep us informed in the future. My prayers are with the family.

Thank you for the update. They are in my thoughts every day.

This is so sad to have happened on the Happy Island or anywhere for that matter.
    My thoughts and prayers are with this fellow Canadian family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12