Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Atm in aruba

Dom
    Check with your credit card company to see if they have a fee for a foreign transaction in US dollars. Since most places in Aruba charge you in US dollars, there never used to be any extra charges to use the credit card. However, last year, many companies started to charge extra fees (generally 1% to 3%) for any foreign transaction. I checked with all of my credit card companies, and about half of them did charge, but the other half did not. I always use credit cards in Aruba and have never had any problems in over 30 years of doing this.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

I am going to post my "generic" advice once again:

Before traveling with an ATM card, please check with your bank's policies regarding lost and stolen cards. Rules and policies are not necessarily the same as they are with credit cards where you are normally liable for only the first $50 in charges.

http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/debit/debitcards1.htm
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre04.pdf

http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/fitness/archive/2001/ff20010808.htm
    "Debit cards. The rules are similar for debit cards, but there are a few restrictions. For example, your liability under federal law is limited to $50, but only if you notify the issuer within two business days of discovering the card's loss or theft. [this would probably be easy if you travel and access the internet daily to check your account balances.] Your liability could jump to $500 if you put it off. And even this cap is lifted if you wait more than 60 calendar days from the time your bank statement is mailed."

Credit cards are widely accepted all over the island. We used to use our AMEX but now that there is a foreign transaction fee, have a Capital One card we use instead.

Common Foreign Transaction Fees
    "A February 2010 survey of foreign transaction fees conducted by the New York Times revealed a wide range of foreign transaction fees:

Capital One- No Foreign Transaction Fee

American Express - 2 - 3%, depending on member status

Bank of America - 3%

Chase - 3%

Citibank - 3%

HSBC - 3%

Wells Fargo - 3%

Discover Card - 2% - Accepted in China, the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico and certain parts of Europe.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union - Varies depnding on the card product

Capital One remains a powerful exception to the rule. Its bank branches in both the United States and the United Kingdom give it a competitive advantage in America and Europe. Therefore, Capital One charges no foreign transaction fees of any kind. Best of all, Capital One's Web site lets you apply same-day payments from any pre-registered checking account. I used my Capital One MasterCard for most of the expenses on my week-long trip, saving me a few hundred dollars. When some unexpected souvenirs got me close to my credit limit, a quick payment from the Web browser in my hotel's business center allowed me to keep saving money. ..."

Credit Card Costs Are Cut, but Foreign Fee Stays - NYTimes.com

Went to AAA today, and bought Travelers Checks. No charge to members. Problem solved. No way I am paying 3% to American Express in addition to the vig on the Exchange Rate. The restaurants in Aruba are expensive enough. Thanks for the great advice, much appreciated

Atm

How many and which ATM is at the airport?

Where they are exactly?

Thanks!!!

Aruba since 1979
    i think it is an ARUBANK ATM machine and there is one near the NON USA departure terminal.
    and it handles all ATM cards like here in the usa.
    dispenses money in florins or US dollars

Thanks Andrea

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I don't bring much money to Aruba, I always use the ATM's. But for years I never had to pay a fee. Last January I didn't but in April I did.

Arrow Just an FYI

I have seen many news reports on skimming at ATM machines at home.

Here
    on the bottom of the page, is the first mention I have seen of it going on in Aruba.

News reports say to shield the keypad with your hand when you enter your pin code as that is often how they can connect it to your card number. It's amazing that it isn't even secure to use machines at banks. I have had my Visa card skimmed at a Best Buy and at a gas station in NJ in the past year. It is such a common occurance that Chase Visa handles the card cancellation through voice prompt and you never even speak to a live person. i think having your debit card skimmed is more serious as they have access to your bank account.

For security, everyone should familiarize themselves with the use also of card readers. Thieves are now placing devices over the slot of an ATM to obtain your debit card information.
    http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345