Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You right Mark, and this one that just happens right now i hear is a rental car involve.

If you visit www.24ora.com you will see the pictures of the accident.

I wonder if it would help if the rental car companies gave out a printed page showing the traffic signage and what it means, since it is so different to that of North America. This could be a laminated page that the renter would give back at the end of the rental period.

Aquaman

Sopranos Piano Bar, Café 080, Costa Linda
    According to the "thermometer" in front of the Noord police station (showing the number of highway fatalities in Aruba by year), there were 10 in 2009 and 20 in 2008. That is a great improvement, even if they haven't added the 2 new ones yet.

What is most odd is that these accidents are usually attributed to speeding, not DUI. My best guess is that they ALL involve alcohol.

abj
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    from julia renfro's facebook (she is the editor of aruba today and a member of this forum)

There have been 2 fatal accidents in the last 24 hours and a 3rd earlier in the week all results of speeding. The question is on an island just 5 miles wide, why would you need to speed? You'll get there to fast!

not sure why need to speed but man there are some maniacs on the road there..

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    I wonder if it would help if the rental car companies gave out a printed page showing the traffic signage and what it means, since it is so different to that of North America. This could be a laminated page that the renter would give back at the end of the rental period.

Aquaman
    That's a great idea. Maybe such a page could be posted somewhere permanently in the vehicle so that there's no chance of it getting lost.

abj
    I wonder if it would help if the rental car companies gave out a printed page showing the traffic signage and what it means, since it is so different to that of North America.
    there was a page somewhere that we had with all that stuff on it. not sure if it came with the rental or was in one of the welcome to aruba books we had. bottom line thoug his if you drive like a sane person you won't have any problems..

Last edited by abj; 12-02-2009 at 12:31 PM.

I do not now what is going on in Aruba but another fatal accident this morning. It was a hit and run but thank god somebody follow the car and stop the driver. She was drunk.

Further to my earlier post, here is some helpful info on traffic signs from the Costa Linda Site. Maybe some forum members would like to print it off and take it with them. Check it out at:

http://www.costalinda-aruba.com/traffic-signs.asp

This is exactly why we never rent a car. Taxi and bus services are safe and the drivers are sober. We can have drinks with dinner and not worry. We don't have to learn the signs or habits of other drivers. We usually enjoy our conversations with the cab drivers and never worry about filling the tank, getting our car broken into or if we have the correct insurance.
    I know many people need to have a car on Aruba, but these ststs just highlight the risks.
    Walt
    "Vacation is what you make of it, take from it and what you leave behind."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast