Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Automated Passport Control - New Kiosks at Aruba Airport in U.S. Customs

Aruba since 1979
    In between 1st security and 2 nd security screening passengers had checked luggage in their possession even for just a short while to go thru customs.
    During that time it is "possible" that a contraband item was obtained from that luggage and will be tried to be brought onboard .
    So because of that breach the 2nd is required.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    as Andrea said, I can see why they have the two security because of picking up your luggage inbetween. if this was not the case, then I agree one would be in order but not the way it is now. What i think they should do is put in check in kiosks to print boarding passes for those that don't need to wait in line to check luggage. since they are at every single airport, people are familiar with them, they go up, slide the credit card in and passport (if necessary) and boom, your boarding pass. that would eliminate alot of time. quite personally, i don't think it takes that much time showing that paper to the aruban authorities. that first step to me is the quickest step of the whole process. the line looks long but they move that really fast. also, aruba security is fast. its the US Custom line that takes the longest and the check in when you arrive at the airline counter. those are the two problems at the airport. I hate to say it but its not a problem on Aruba's side, its a problem on our side.

It is what it is. Get there three hours early, chill, and go with the flow. That's what I do.

After a few visits I got used to it. It is still better than facing customs after a long flight back to the US.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    If they really want to speed up departure, why don't they eliminate one of the security checks?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    In between 1st security and 2 nd security screening passengers had checked luggage in their possession even for just a short while to go thru customs.
    During that time it is "possible" that a contraband item was obtained from that luggage and will be tried to be brought onboard .
    If there was only one security check that served the purposes of both countries, there would be no need to pick up your luggage. You'd check it in at the ariline counter and it would go through a joint baggage check and on to the plane. Meanwhile you go through the TSA checkpoint and wait for take-off.

Aruba since 1979
    if they did that andy, how could they deal with US CUSTOMS and passengers needing their bags with them in the event they were searched?
    should US Customs be moved to an area right after Aruba Immigration?
    how would duty free shopping then work?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    If there was only one security check that served the purposes of both countries, there would be no need to pick up your luggage. You'd check it in at the ariline counter and it would go through a joint baggage check and on to the plane. Meanwhile you go through the TSA checkpoint and wait for take-off.

I don't know all the requirements, but I'd make one baggage check work for Aruba and USA. Bags would be scanned/checked as they are in any airport, behind the scenes. If there is an issue, it would be handled the same as in Boston, New York, etc.. Carry-ons could be handled as they are now.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    So make the ONLY security check AFTER you do your luggage. Still don't see the problem.

Aruba since 1979

tnt-k9

Junior MemberJoin DateJul 2012Posts9

Here is my opinion of what’s going on and why…
    First you check your bags and they are screened by the Aruba airport security for items or materials that may pose a threat to the aircraft and passengers in flight.
    Then you proceed through to the Aruba Immigration who process you out of the country. Your next step is the Aruba version of TSA. They may mirror TSA security procedures but are not “ordained” by US TSA or the FAA. They are also screening passengers who are not bound for the US.
    You go through the food court and duty free area which is NOT considered a sterile area by US TSA.
    You reclaim your bags in preparation to clear US CBP. You must have your bags with you to clear US CBP in case they want to inspect your stuff. They are looking for persons who may not be allowed into the US, may cause a threat in the US, or people who are in possession of contraband, undeclared or commercial merchandise.
    Beyond the US CBP desk, US TSA has control. They mandate the security procedures. They routinely inspect and train the contract security company who perform the secondary screenings.
    The process is the same for every international flight into the US. If you were to enter the US from a foreign port and have a connecting flight. You would have to reclaim your bag. Go through the whole Customs process and then drop your bag off and continue on to your connecting flight.
    It is just compressed in Aruba since the borders are under the same roof and do not span an ocean.
    There are some airports overseas that have a “bypass” system. They take your picture with your bag when initially checking in and if CBP wants to check you out they can tie the luggage to you based on the photo. There are rumors that it may happen in Aruba but it cost $$$$$.

Aruba since 1979
    the above posting is from TNT K9
    he is experienced in airport security and here is a post from a thread of this past summer

tnt-k9

Junior MemberJoin DateJul 2012Posts9

Here is my opinion of what’s going on and why…
    First you check your bags and they are screened by the Aruba airport security for items or materials that may pose a threat to the aircraft and passengers in flight.
    Then you proceed through to the Aruba Immigration who process you out of the country. Your next step is the Aruba version of TSA. They may mirror TSA security procedures but are not “ordained” by US TSA or the FAA. They are also screening passengers who are not bound for the US.
    You go through the food court and duty free area which is NOT considered a sterile area by US TSA.
    You reclaim your bags in preparation to clear US CBP. You must have your bags with you to clear US CBP in case they want to inspect your stuff. They are looking for persons who may not be allowed into the US, may cause a threat in the US, or people who are in possession of contraband, undeclared or commercial merchandise.
    Beyond the US CBP desk, US TSA has control. They mandate the security procedures. They routinely inspect and train the contract security company who perform the secondary screenings.
    The process is the same for every international flight into the US. If you were to enter the US from a foreign port and have a connecting flight. You would have to reclaim your bag. Go through the whole Customs process and then drop your bag off and continue on to your connecting flight.
    It is just compressed in Aruba since the borders are under the same roof and do not span an ocean.
    There are some airports overseas that have a “bypass” system. They take your picture with your bag when initially checking in and if CBP wants to check you out they can tie the luggage to you based on the photo. There are rumors that it may happen in Aruba but it cost $$$$$.

Thank you for the detailed explanation of how thing currently work.

In Aruba, there is a dedicated terminal building for USA departures. Everyone is going to the US. It seems to me that Aruban and US security personnel have overlapping interests. They both want to ensure the plane and passengers are safe. Perhaps there is a non-security related reason for the duplication.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast