Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member Jeff of Rochester's Avatar

Avoiding Scams- Redweek?

i am going to let this run here for a few days b4 i move it to the TIMESHARE category.
    andrea

Hello,

I am thinking about cancelling my reservation with the Stellaris and I am currently considering renting a “condo” at the Surf club using Redweek. How can I avoid scams? What will the finical transaction look like? Is this a good choice since I have four people in my family?
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 11-22-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Next Aruba trip in Jefe of Rochester

Aruba since 1979
    ahh the million dollar dilemma scams!

a quandry for owners and renters alike.

renters should get references of the owner.
    renters and owners must keep communications open
    make a contract that specifies the resort, whether the unit is guaranteed , if the price is non refundable or not.
    make sure the owner is really the owner or club member....some timeshare owners are really not owners, but "club owners......such as marriott properties, lacabana/Bluegreen.

i encourage all owners to give the renters a few references.

most owners require payment in full, usually non refundable by credit card, or bank check/cashier's check.

as always, let the buyer beware.
    communication and honesty should abound.
    andrea

andrea
    make sure the owner puts the reservation in renter's name.

Junior Member Jeff of Rochester's Avatar
    Do you think I am getting in over my head for my first visit?
    Next Aruba trip in Jefe of Rochester

Aruba since 1979
    no not at all over your head
    putting a family in a hotel room is tight

it is nice to have a condo for breakfasts, lunches, space to move around..............!!!

we here will gladly help you manuever thru the process

private msg me as you begin to make your plans and i will give you a hand .

andrea

Alto Vista Chapel, Renaissance Island, Arashi Beach

Thumbs up Renting a Timeshare from an Owner

Hi Jeff,

We are close to you (Buffalo) and would like to tell you that the people renting their timeshares in Aruba have been very honest in our experience. Just ask them for their phone number and talk with them! Most people just cannot use their week and are looking to cover the HOA expenses.

Once you rent a timeshare, you will never go back to a hotel room, because of the spaciousness! Renting from an owner also saves you $$$. Just a kitchen and a refrigerator can save a ton. Look on the website, these units are fabulous.

We rented 9 years ago, and now own two weeks.

Best of luck in Aruba,
    Sue

Next Aruba trip in

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Is the "condo" that you are considering at the Surf Club a 3 bedroom, 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom unit with separate full kitchen. Or is it a 1 bedroom "lockoff" unit. The lockoff units are larger than a hotel room at the Stellaris Resort but it does not have a full kitchen. Lockoffs have a king bed, pull-out sofa bed, and small kitchen area in the room (small refrig & sink, microwave, amd coffee maker).

Hey Jeff, I have rented twice on Redweek and this trip coming in Jan I rented from Mynetworkresort.com.. I always get the renters phone # and chat with them, email back and forth..after sending the deposit only...I get the paperwork sign it and send back with check you can then check your reservation on the Marriott website..I think most people on these sights are on the up and up of course there are bad apples around you just need to be aware ask them for references if they have rented before. And definately check with the marriott to make sure they are owners

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

I rented twice on Redweek with no problems. We signed a rental agreement and I sent them a certified cheque. I also did speak with them personally first. I did call the Marriott and ensured that the person did in fact own there and that they were able to rent it out. Worked out no problems.

In addition, I rented my unit a few years back from this website. I spoke with the person, we exchanged photocopies of our driver's licence so we could verify each other and then made a payment schedule. No problems at all.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    i looked into redweek.com
    (i have some timeshare to rent so i followed thru this morning and signed up)

redweek charges $14.99 annual membership fee
    redweek charges $25. per rental listing

so, my opinion is that since an owner would be paying $25 per listing then, i would wager that the rental is not a scam.

andrea

I have been using Redweek for the past 5 years and have never had a problem. I've rented from the same owner for the past few years.
    You really have to make sure you're getting what is stated. I've seen some people post a 1 bedroom unit at the Ocean Club and it's only been a studio. Make sure you read the description and that it includes a full kitchen - not kichenette.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast