Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Beach Maintenance Project on Palm Beach

Hello Everyone,

I just read that La Playa, the Holiday Inn, and the Moomba Beach Club had the swimming areas in front of their beaches cleaned by Sea Solution NV and that this maintenace project was completed at the end of January 2008. I was curious if the Marriott properties had plans to continue the maintenance project down in front of their resorts. Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Thanks.

Cool More information please.

Do you know what the purpose of the project is/what the maintenance project will do to the swimming areas/why the maintenance project was undertaken in the first place (i.e. what does Sea Solution NV do?)?

My understanding is that a dock was moved from in front of the Marriott Surf Club a year or so ago. When the dock was moved, a lot of mud and silt was stirred up where the dock was. Consequently, there have been many complaints about the ocean bottom being muddy and not very clear. (gushy when you walk in the water) There is much discussion of this on the other bulletin boards. This service reportedly cleaned as much unorganic matter from the water as possible with nets. Also, tons of seaweed were cleaned out. Reportedly, much of the mud was dredged and taken out to sea and new sand was put down. It is supposed to be very natural and clean.

More information available here.

Also, the current issue of Island Temptations (free to read/download) is a "green" issue with articles which focus on some of the eco-friendly projects in Aruba. The "Fragile as a Sandcastle" article that begins on p.24 is a really good read, and talks more about Sea Solutions' efforts.