Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Beach umbrellas as "projectiles"

  1. #1
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,945

    Beach umbrellas as "projectiles"

    here is a horrible story of a person killed at the beach in virginia.
    umbrella related.

    please, when on the beach in aruba, take into consideration the winds/breezes.
    if you have a beach umbrella that is not securely attached, it would be very bad.
    http://www.wcvb.com/news/windblown-b...ginia/39975236

    ya, i know, taking on a reputation as "debbie downer", but want to make those, especially newbies who have never experienced aruba's trade winds , aware.

  2. #2
    Senior Member hatteras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    here is a horrible story of a person killed at the beach in virginia.
    umbrella related.

    please, when on the beach in aruba, take into consideration the winds/breezes.
    if you have a beach umbrella that is not securely attached, it would be very bad.
    http://www.wcvb.com/news/windblown-b...ginia/39975236

    ya, i know, taking on a reputation as "debbie downer", but want to make those, especially newbies who have never experienced aruba's trade winds , aware.

    Yes, this was a crazy accident. The lady that was killed didn't live very far from me. It's not unusual to see umbrellas flying down the beach. I've chased mine down at our local beaches more than once. Of course, the wind in Aruba is usually much stronger than it is here in Va. They can easily become air borne.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,503
    Saw this article this morning, so sad. I hadn't even considered posting here but I'm glad you did. We have been discussing beach shade for our upcoming vacation (not Aruba) and two things come to mind.
    1. This is why palapas are necessary and will always be a hot topic.
    2. Commercial umbrellas that are available for rent are always a better option than do it yourself ones. A good commercial grade umbrella can cost in the $200 range. To me it's worth the rental cost unless you live on the beach or get more than 2-3 weeks a year to be there.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  4. #4
    Senior Member purpleangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    61
    Posts
    772
    I saw this article, too. So sad! I go to the CT shore frequently. I have a regular beach umbrella and invested in one of these. It is very easy to use, and holds up to the wind very well! Best $20 I ever spent.
    https://www.sand-anchor.com/?leadsou...bEqBoCDY7w_wcB

  5. #5
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,503
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    I saw this article, too. So sad! I go to the CT shore frequently. I have a regular beach umbrella and invested in one of these. It is very easy to use, and holds up to the wind very well! Best $20 I ever spent.
    https://www.sand-anchor.com/?leadsou...bEqBoCDY7w_wcB
    I think you are my husband's new best friend. I love the idea of combining the anchor and the table. Great tip, thank you.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 06-09-2016 at 06:43 PM.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  6. #6
    Senior Member WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Scott's Brats, Iguana Joes, Surf Club
    Posts
    2,759
    Been using sand anchors and tables for years at VB. This was just a horrible accident that may or may not have been preventable. I just hope the city, in a knee jerk reaction, doesn't ban umbrellas on the beach like everything else that is currently outlawed. Our BJ's has the anchors and tables, Walmart has the anchors too.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,503
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Been using sand anchors and tables for years at VB. This was just a horrible accident that may or may not have been preventable. I just hope the city, in a knee jerk reaction, doesn't ban umbrellas on the beach like everything else that is currently outlawed. Our BJ's has the anchors and tables, Walmart has the anchors too.
    Off topic, sorry, but Walt - does VB still allow the canopy style shade? We are going just south of Myrtle and they only allow specific size round umbrellas unless you have a baby.

    At least if my umbrella has a table I can pretend it's a palapa in Aruba and not Myrtle
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  8. #8
    Senior Member WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Scott's Brats, Iguana Joes, Surf Club
    Posts
    2,759
    Hi Tracey, if you mean something like a sport-brella they are still allowed as far as I know. We use an E-Z up type canopy for shade and they are allowed.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,503
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Hi Tracey, if you mean something like a sport-brella they are still allowed as far as I know. We use an E-Z up type canopy for shade and they are allowed.
    Good we are going to do a long weekend there later this year so we can use the one we bought for Myrtle but can't use there. That was a beach research fail on my part.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  10. #10
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,503
    We bought this thing called a cool cabana. One reviewer even mentions plans to try it in Aruba. It would be easy to travel but I still don't think I would test it against the trade winds. I will stick to umbrella rentals and palapas
    http://www.cool-cabanas.com/
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO