Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Beach umbrellas as "projectiles"

Aruba since 1979
    i do not think that this has a chance of surviving the aruba tradewinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We bought this thing called a cool cabana. One reviewer even mentions plans to try it in Aruba. It would be easy to travel but I still don't think I would test it against the trade winds. I will stick to umbrella rentals and palapas
    http://www.cool-cabanas.com/

Good we are going to do a long weekend there later this year so we can use the one we bought for Myrtle but can't use there. That was a beach research fail on my part.
    PM me when you know when you'll be here, would love to get together.

We bought this thing called a cool cabana. One reviewer even mentions plans to try it in Aruba. It would be easy to travel but I still don't think I would test it against the trade winds. I will stick to umbrella rentals and palapas
    http://www.cool-cabanas.com/
    Tracey, how easy/difficult is the cool-cabana to put up and take down? I looked on the website and watched the video. The girl seemed to have an easy time putting it up, but I laughed when they showed her breaking it down, but not putting it in the bag. I need something for Emerald Isle in Sept., and I don't want an umbrella. I also like the pockets incorporated into the cabana.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions... To get to and from the beach, we need to go up stairs across the dunes and back down the stairs. Our kids (the pack mules) won't be with us, so I'm looking for some type of beach wagon/cart. We can rent umbrellas and chairs, but most of them seem to be the wooden kind, which I believe are heavy. Any suggestions?

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Stacy, some of the cottages at Emerald Isle have beach carts for their guests to use, but you probably won't find that out until you get there. You could call the realty office that you are using, but I'm not sure that they will have that information. We have a beach cart that we bought at Costco a few years ago. It is metal, like a shopping cart, and collapses. We use big, sturdy, umbrellas that we have bought in the beach stores, like the store, Wings. There are plenty of these stores along the beach road. The smaller ones tear apart in the wind. We also have several anchors like the ones that were posted on here, but not the tables. The anchors work well, as long as you have them fairly deep in the sand. We have had one or two go sailing down the beach when there has been a huge gust of wind, but usually, they work very well. There are several rental companies that will come and set up umbrellas and chairs for you daily, but I've only seen the wooden chairs. Some people put up the tent like huts, and leave them up for the week. We tried that once, and it got pretty ripped up the very first night, so we haven't used that again. We'll be in Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Tracey, how easy/difficult is the cool-cabana to put up and take down? I looked on the website and watched the video. The girl seemed to have an easy time putting it up, but I laughed when they showed her breaking it down, but not putting it in the bag. I need something for Emerald Isle in Sept., and I don't want an umbrella. I also like the pockets incorporated into the cabana.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions... To get to and from the beach, we need to go up stairs across the dunes and back down the stairs. Our kids (the pack mules) won't be with us, so I'm looking for some type of beach wagon/cart. We can rent umbrellas and chairs, but most of them seem to be the wooden kind, which I believe are heavy. Any suggestions?
    It is pretty easy to put up and take down, but we did it inside our house with no wind..lol. I see one problem being that sand is going to be everywhere. Those pockets that hold the sides down get tucked inside the canopy to fold it back up to get it back in the bag. So the next time you go to set it up, I can only imagine it will be a sand shower. It wasn't too bad getting it back in the bag once you figure it out, but we did have to try twice.
    It also is a little on the short side. Pay attention in the video to how close the girl is to the top when sitting in the chair. At 5'3" I had to duck to get under the side but then I could stand up. I will have to let you know how it goes once we actually use it outside. The plus side of it is that it is so light and comes in that convenient carry bag. We used to have the EZ up tent canopy like Walt mentioned, but it just became a hassle lugging it around to us, so when we broke it we decided not to replace it. It broke due to user error - long story, lots of beers involved...lol. Those EZ up canopies really are the best as far as shade coverage if you don't mind hauling it around.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12