Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaches

Beaches

We've been to Aruba many times. It is our favorite island. We were just on a cruise this past week that stopped in Aruba. We took the bus to the beach by the Surf Club where we usually stay What happened to the beach? When we went into the water we sank a few inches into the mucky bottom and the sand that was turned up stank. It was like swimming in a sewer. We were told it was from the storm. How much damage did they have? Will the beach ever be beautiful again? Are all the beaches like this? We spoke to someone else on the boat and he said he went to Palm Beach and the beach was fine. Is it just by the Marriott and Holiday Inn?

Quote Originally Posted by chelseadog View Post
    We've been to Aruba many times. It is our favorite island. We were just on a cruise this past week that stopped in Aruba. We took the bus to the beach by the Surf Club where we usually stay What happened to the beach? When we went into the water we sank a few inches into the mucky bottom and the sand that was turned up stank. It was like swimming in a sewer. We were told it was from the storm. How much damage did they have? Will the beach ever be beautiful again? Are all the beaches like this? We spoke to someone else on the boat and he said he went to Palm Beach and the beach was fine. Is it just by the Marriott and Holiday Inn?
    We just returned 11/08/08 and yes it was smelly and the soot was there.I attended a board meeting and was told that a company called Sea Solutions is going to dredge the bottom of the ocean sometime in Feb.09 to try to get rid of this problem.I am in contact with the resort manager and will keep all informed.Hope this answered your questions.

I, also, will be a little concerned about the beach at the "Ocean" and "Surf Club" of the Marriott. I don't expect to be back there until June of 2009; but, hopefully, the person that said that they will be dredging, got the right info.

FEB. 09!!!
    They have to be kidding??? Xmas and New Year's are busy season, they will be a complete mutiny if they don't get that fixed by then!!!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

damn! i had in my mind of what our first trip to Aruba would look like and now to have to deal with a sewer smell to boot. i do like to be prepared as much as possible so if anyone could just let me know the scoop, who's recently been there, i would be very appreciative.
    Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianmoonlight View Post
    damn! i had in my mind of what our first trip to Aruba would look like and now to have to deal with a sewer smell to boot. i do like to be prepared as much as possible so if anyone could just let me know the scoop, who's recently been there, i would be very appreciative.
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f18/dannyos-trip-report-35254/#post125076

Sat 10/28
    ...Relaxed so much that we slept until 6am the next day. Beach and water at the Surf NOT CLEAN.
    Sun 10/29
    Went for our early morning walk down to the Phoenix. Water and beach from Playa Linda to Phoenix was clean. Holiday Inn and Marriott not ....NOT HAPPY.. .
    Thus 10/30
    The sun is back, went for our walk to the Phoenix had breakfast in room, than off to my meeting. Beach was clear of seaweed but there is a nasty smell. Had a very long meeting and the main concern with all the owners is the conditions on the beach...the new resort manager Scott ext.6662 had allot to say and answered allot of questions. Marriott is paying a company caller SEA SOLUTIONS to clean the bottom of the ocean at the Marriott, they somehow dredge the bottom of the ocean and than dump it out to sea. They think this may solve the smell and clear the bottom of the soot that is there. We all hope this works. It is to take place sometime in Feb. Anyone staying at the Surf feel free to get in touch with Scott 6662 he really does care and will get back to you if you have any problems...

Exactly what happened to this beach? Where did the soot come from? You don't get soot from a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by chelseadog View Post
    Exactly what happened to this beach? Where did the soot come from? You don't get soot from a storm.
    I "think" it comes from decaying seaweed laying on the ocean floor.

Here is a description of the cleaning process which the Marriott will be undertaking in February.
    http://www.aruba.com/news/general-ne...ject-in-aruba/

"Sea Solutions NV Complete First Beach Maintenance Project In Aruba.

Thanks to the island’s government, Moomba Beach Bar, Holiday Inn Sunpress Resort, and Playa Linda Beach Resort a giant project of beach maintenance was just concluded on Aruba’s famed Palm Beach.

The first portion of ocean front to be scoured was the one in front of Moomba Beach, where a stretch of 60 X 50 meters of swimming area was completely restored in three stages, a process which took 25 working days.

Sea Solutions NV with Ulysses Matarozzi spearheaded the project. During the first 10 days Sea Solutions N.V. used a net to remove all plastic, aluminum, seaweed, and waste that doesn’t belongs in a natural sea environment, and to bring it to the surface and bag it ready for delivery to the dump.

In this process approximately 4,000 kilo, in other words four tons of non-organic matter and seaweed emerged from the bottom of the sea.

In the next phase which also lasted 10 days Sea Solutions N.V. used a suction pump to remove approximately 600 cubic yards of mud from the ocean floor. The mud, a natural organic sediment, which serves as a very good nutrient for sea life, was discharge at sea, far away from the intake point and the swimming areas.

In the third phase which lasted for five days Sea Solutions N.V. pumped in 300 cubic yards of clean sand into that same area where the mud was removed forming an unspoiled white coat of sand at the bottom area.

At the end of 25 work days the beach was totally recuperated and ready for visitors and locals who enjoy it, in its pristine state.

As a result of Ulysses efforts a number of charter operators, among them the Jolly Pirates, vowed to switch to serving drinks in an eco-friendly plastic cup which dissolves in sea water and is available here from Aruba Supplies & Distribution.
    Aruba’s adorable kid, can now play on a beach clean, at the Holiday Inn Sunspree and at Moomba Beach.

Ulysses originally started working on Palm Beach when he was hired by the government to install the buoys and ropes designating the swim zones; he later offered his services to the resorts maintaining that swimming area system intact and free of stinging algae and barnacles. While at work, Ulysses started collecting wind-blown plastics, aluminum, and other inorganic waste from the sea floor on a weekly basis, helped by a team of maintenance snorkelers. The rest is history; Ulysses is now performing maintenance work on the beaches full time.

For more information contacts Ulysses Matarozzi, Sea Solutions N.V., seasolutionsaruba@hotmail.com
    Story submitted by Rona Coster"

Aruba since 1979
    i rarely go up to that end.
    once in a while will stop a moombas for a cold drink but rarely am there.

question............the area that is in question
    Is that the area where the fisherman docks once were?

andrea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast