Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Beaches Public ..as are Palapas/Shade Huts/Chickees

Aruba since 1979

Beaches Public ..as are Palapas/Shade Huts/Chickees

this was sent to me by a friend on island and translated to English

From the Diario

Does not apply to Renaissance Island Beaches and Depalm Island as those are provately owned.

Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 14:18
    ORANGE CITY - Security guards who chase guests at a beach palapa or beach bed away because they do not stay in a hotel, are acting illegally. "The beach is public and, like the palapas, accessible to everyone," said the judge this morning.
    Beach Guests who are not staying in a hotel are on a regular based turned away by security guards at the hotels. Without any legal basis or authority to do so, as it is stated in the judgment read by the court today. "They are unfairly summed when they sit or lie on the beach." The beach loungers may be rented, but the palapas and beach are owned by the public.

Accessible to everyone
    All the beaches of Aruba are in fact public. The beaches are not only for guests of hotels, but for everyone. So also for cruise tourists who once 'their' ship docks in Aruba, go in large numbers ashore to enjoy the delights of the island, so reads the judge this morning in his statement.
    Anchored
    "Whoever constructs an anchored structure on the beach like a palapas, does not acquire any ownership or usage rights", as the court notes the hotel proper. Aruba’s public is the owner of such building. Here everyone can, including local people and tourists who do not stay at hotels, use it. It is therefore not possible to hold a palapa by means of a towel without you actually using it at that moment."
    This is the article for people who read Dutch:
    http://www.amigoe.com/…/196713-strandgasten-regelmatig-onte…

Strandgasten regelmatig onterecht weggestuurd
    headline 1
    AMIGOE.COM|BY ADMINISTRATOR

Good to know. Thanks for posting. I'm surprised the hotels would want even a whiff of controversy around this law... ESPECIALLY given they're all built on lease-land which can be revoked by the government.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    wow, that is one powerful opinion by a judge to the hotels. we go to arashi so its not an issue but does that mean that people can't reserve palapas at the hotels any more? more of a whoever wants to use it?

I suppose the Ritz and Bucuti are at an advantage because they use umbrellas and can simply remove the umbrella from anyone under the umbrella and not a guest at the resort?

Why would anyone be so darn stupid as to pay $600+ a night at say the Radisson during Christmas? Even more so since 28%+ of that is taxes paid to the government.

Rent a studio inland for $75 bucks a night and use the facilities at a resort.

I think there should be signs posted at the cruise terminal so that cruise passengers are well aware that they can share palapas equally with hotel guests instead of paying to rent umbrellas.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 11-27-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    respectfully.....if people want to spend and can afford to spend that kind of $$ at any resort over the holidays, then imo, good luck to them.

how folks spend their own $ is none of my concern, nor is how i spend my money is anyone else's concern.

in May, we are staying at Bananas and will buy some sand chairs and possibly park ourselves under a palapa at Eagle Beach or Arashi.

Palm Beach, in particular the Radisson area is way too jam packed for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I suppose the Ritz and Bucuti are at an advantage because they use umbrellas and can simply remove the umbrella from anyone under the umbrella and not a guest at the resort?

Why would anyone be so darn stupid as to pay $600+ a night at say the Radisson during Christmas? Even more so since 28%+ of that is taxes paid to the government.

Rent a studio inland for $75 bucks a night and use the facilities at a resort.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 11-27-2014 at 02:53 PM.

I'm already packing a pup tent in my wheelie luggage... look out Eagle: HERE WE COME!!!

WINK! WINK! WINK!
    Last edited by act1966; 11-28-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I'm already packing a pup tent in my wheelie luggage... look out Eagle: HERE WE COME!!!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    we are buying sun loungers, too, when we get there. we are going to try that island asia store on the way from the airport. last year i tried certified and they didn't have them. super foods only had the regular beach chairs. our condo only has regular sand chairs that don't go back. we usually rent on the beach but we figured buying them may turn out to be cheaper, we'll leave them there and hope they are there next year. on arashi they are $5 per chair for the day but since we will be there like 17 days, we figured it may be cheaper. if not, we'll rent. less than one day to go, can NOT wait. all packed.

Well this will be interesting to see how this evolves! Will the hotels fight this ruling?

If the hotel maintains the Palapas and rents it out on a daily basis, what will happen if some "random" comes and starts using it? I can just see the fighting now!!!! Seriously, many of the hotels/timeshares do rent palapas as a way of trying to keep some order and this is just going to make things crazy. At the hotels, they own the chairs so people can't just take them and use them. I can't see how that wouldn't change? People could always come and use the beach but not the chairs UNLESS they rented them so how does this change? The courts can't just say you have to give away your chairs for free to non customers?
    Some of the Palapas are on the hotels actual property so I will assume that these would be considered private, it would be the palapas that are on the area of the beach that sits in front of the big chess-like marker.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Ok, so you stand in line for 20 minutes to have one for the next day and then you put your towel down, go into the water and come back and there are people sitting in your chairs? There has to be a better way!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast