Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ricky59
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: beautiful farewell @ the occidental

beautiful farewell @ the occidental

the occidental hotel has lost 4 employees the last few months, all dear friend's and wonderful people.
    the last passing was a chef employed at the hotel for over 30 years, on the day of his viewing which the employees could not attend due to their work schedule. the hotel arranged for the funeral home and family to bring the hearst to the hotel at lunch time. the driveway of the occidental had employees lined up, on both sides of the driveway with white and blue balloons.
    the general manager, greeted the family, and the workers sang amazing grace. for a final farewell a coworker chef, presented the uniform of his dear friend, and was placed on his casket.
    the tears flowed as i realized, this is why we love and respect these wonderful people.

when asked from others, why would you go to the same place?
    easy, because the people all have one thing that is unique, RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER!!! remind's me of the way america once was.

I had tears in my eyes reading this! What a wonderful, thoughtful tribute to a colleague!

Aruba since 1979
    sad.
    what a wonderful respectful tribute.
    kudos to the occidental management and staff for being compassionate and very respectful.
    but this was in aruba, and for aruba we expect nothing but respect and compassion.

Ricky59
    Thanks for sharing , very well said...so true

Ricky59 who were the other 3 that have passed? Thank you so much for your post.
    Pat

sylvia, the operator, very young 48, always very upbeat and polite, dealing with my many calls.... gloria, in housekeeping, jane dykoff, worked in lunch, host, then inside , due to health issues.. a wonderful lady, always treated my children wonderful.
    jane had not worked for the last 2 years, funny her son played pro ball in my hometown, rochester new york, one day at the ballpark, knew that he was from aruba while talking he stated his mother worked at the allegro, when he told me jane dykoff was his mother!!! i was floored, she was very proud, great mother.

Thank you Ricky59----so sorry to hear all this.
    Pat

My DH and I were being taken back to the Occidental by Stuart (aruba bob) on one of these occassions. When we were pulling in we noticed the blue and white balloons, the employee's, some in chef hats, lining the entrance to the Occidental. We didn't know what was going on, thought that maybe a celebrity chef was coming to visit. Now we know.....and now the memory is even more beautiful. What a wonderful way to show you care.
    Next Aruba trip in

Thanks for posting a very uplifting story about a sad event. That was some send off!

Sean and susan