Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thanks!

Wow great response there, thanks to you all for your help and responses.

I get the feeling i should feel safe and probably wont be approached, just a countdown now!!!

Thanks all!

Druif Beach, Casibari, Guadirikiri Cave, and Boca Catalina
    This is such helpful information, as the safety of Aruba and simply being able to feel comfortable walking around the island was the main reason we chose this island over many other tropical destinations. I can't wait to see for myself that we made the right choice!

Had an interesting evening the other nite....had dinner at Paddock and was approached by a homeless man. he asked for money for food, and just at that moment the chef at the Paddock stuck his head out of the window in the kitchen. He told us don't be afraid, that this was "his territory" and that they feed him often from the restaurant. So, forum members don't be afraid, arubans do take care of their own. We felt sad to begin with, but ok after we walked away. cindyo
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

I had glanced at this thread prior to our vacation, but had not responded because we had never been approached and/or pestered on our previous trips so had nothing to add. We had a funny experience this trip though.

While waiting outside for our table at Wacky Wahoo, a man walking by asked us if he could show us a time share the next day. We politely said, "No thank you."

Well, he had to be a bit flippant by saying, "Well, it's just going to rain tomorrow anyway."

After two days of clouds, only a peep of the sun, and intermittent rain, I didn't want to hear that..lol Thankfully, he wasn't a very good weather predictor as we had gorgeous sunny weather the rest of our vacation. I wish I knew the timeshare company he worked for though, because that really was unnecessary.

However, after several trips to Aruba, that was the one and only time we've had that sort of thing happen. Occasionally, as you're walking past shops (In our experience, primarily jewelry stores), they'll have someone passing out business cards encouraging you stop inside their store, but they're nothing but respectful and in no way rude or overly persistent.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

I was in aruba from april 11th through the 18th (this year). The most thing i was approached about was drugs. Only happaned like 3 times and 2 of the times it was the same guy by the moomba bar. I was asked by a homeless dude for some mula then some lady from the grocery store came out and yelled at him to leave. But whenever i was approached for whatever all i had to say was no thanks and they just walked away. But all in all it didn't faze me one bit.
    Last edited by stopbugging; 04-20-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: had to take out a unnecessary word and add a paranthesis

After reading your post, stopbugging, I asked my 18 yr old son who was on vacation with us and was out and about with four of his friends if anyone offered to sell him drugs. He said that both this year and last year someone near the Holiday Inn beach area asked them if they'd like to buy cocaine. Once they said no, they were left alone thankfully. With all the security in the area, that's pretty brazen.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

In our experience, drugs have been offered for sale on the concrete boardwalk as far back as 2000. From what we could see, security, police and the visibility team has always appeared to look the other way.

yeah i never really saw any cops anywhere. Just hotel security a couple of times. Maybe the people selling drugs are all undercover lol

Thanks to you all for still talking about this, i started this thread and im now back from Aruba. Heres what i found!
    Drugs, offered twice, once opposite the bus station downtown ( was very quiet noone around) said no thanks and that was that, the other time on the beach (bucuti) which suprised me but they just walked along the beach saying, hash crack etc to which again we said no and they carried on walking. Not a problem!

Something that did suprise me (we are from the UK by the way!) while waiting at a bus stop, around 8pm it was dark and the road Very quiet indeed, a pick up pulled up, Aruban lady got out and came up to us didnt speak a word of english and tried to get us into her pickup (driver still in the car!). We kept saying no and she kept walking to the car guestering to get in, after a few minutes of saying no she didnt leave! The horn was honking and we decided at that point to walk the other way and grab a taxi! But she didnt leave untill we were gone!
    Now im sure that there was nothing in that at all, and more than likely a lovely lady offering us a lift, but it did suprise me a little!!!

There are people that have vans that are like buses....dont know if that was one.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast