Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Best Beach Bar For Your First Drink

On my 4th visit my flight actually arrived late afternoon, which allowed my friend and I to have a drink by the poolside bar of La Cabana. The bartender immediately recognized my accent as being from one of the English speaking Caribbean islands, on account that his mother was originally from Anguilla. All my other arrivals have always been early evening or late night. Will aim for an early arrival on my next visit.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Am I the only one who has to be fully unpacked before completely relaxing and feeling like vacation is official? I love having a Bright while I unpack but until everything is hung up, stored in drawers, etc. and I have changed clothes from "travel wear" to beach attire I cannot fully relax with that first REAL vacation drink at the beach bar.

I also like to hit the grocery store on the way to the hotel, too, and just get it all out of the way so that when I wake up the next morning we can have breakfast and mimosas on the balcony and not worry about having anything "to do" except relax.
    I'm the same way... we go from the airport to the house, I drop The Spouse off to unpack and open up the manse and then I speed off to Ling's to buy supplies (i.e. limes) and breakfast stuff so we're not completely empty for the next day. Typically, we'll head up to Tierra Del Sol for dinner on the first night and I begin to relax after that first vodka hits.

Am I the only one who has to be fully unpacked before completely relaxing and feeling like vacation is official? I love having a Bright while I unpack but until everything is hung up, stored in drawers, etc. and I have changed clothes from "travel wear" to beach attire I cannot fully relax with that first REAL vacation drink at the beach bar.

I also like to hit the grocery store on the way to the hotel, too, and just get it all out of the way so that when I wake up the next morning we can have breakfast and mimosas on the balcony and not worry about having anything "to do" except relax.
    We are the exact opposite. We have beach attire in our carryon and if our room is not ready, we dont even think twice about it. We drop our bags with the bellman and hit the beach bars. If our room is ready we just drop off our stuff and head out immediately. I do the unpacking and our grocery store trip on our first full day as long as we aren't moving right away. This year we may not unpack till the 2nd day. We check in on Saturday and have a room change Sunday. Sunday will be a beach and football day so I really don't expect to get settled in until Monday morning. When I know we have a move I pack strategically, so that everything we need to be comfortable the first day or 2 is easily accessible.

I never move/change hotels on beach vacations. We did it a few times in the past when we used to spend one week on Palm Beach and one week on Eagle Beach which we used to love because it was like two different vacations. Now that we just stay on Eagle Beach there is NO moving involved - too much of a time killer for me when I can be doing other things that are much more fun. LOL!! We travel a lot so the "travel" part is all about efficiency and the best use of your time. Time is very valuable to us. I follow Rick Steves' (travel guru) philosophy: "Treat vacation time like money - don't waste it!"
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

We travel a lot so the "travel" part is all about efficiency and the best use of your time. Time is very valuable to us. I follow Rick Steves' (travel guru) philosophy: "Treat vacation time like money - don't waste it!"
    Which is why I'm surprised that you take time (aka waste money) to unpack. I drop my bag and hit the ground running. I don't sleep until I must and then collapse when I need to until I wake up and start all over. I grab things out of my suitcase as I need them (about 1/4 end up never leaving) and throw the dirties in a corner until the last minute when I need to scoop everything up and run like a bat out of hell to the airport. I usually sleep well on the plane ride back.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Rescuer View Post
    Which is why I'm surprised that you take time (aka waste money) to unpack. I drop my bag and hit the ground running. I don't sleep until I must and then collapse when I need to until I wake up and start all over. I grab things out of my suitcase as I need them (about 1/4 end up never leaving) and throw the dirties in a corner until the last minute when I need to scoop everything up and run like a bat out of hell to the airport. I usually sleep well on the plane ride back.
    LOL! I have nice clothes for going out at night and like to hang those up right away to get any wrinkles out. We usually stay in Aruba for 12-14 days so I like to keep everything organized for easy packing on the return. I have done the last minute "scoop it all up and throw it into the suitcase" early on in our travels (vacation not business) and it didn't suit me for the types of clothes I pack - all a big mess upon arrival back home. I have the unpacking down to a science and can be unpacked in less than 10 minutes while still having a few sips of Amstel Bright left.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I never move/change hotels on beach vacations. We did it a few times in the past when we used to spend one week on Palm Beach and one week on Eagle Beach which we used to love because it was like two different vacations. Now that we just stay on Eagle Beach there is NO moving involved - too much of a time killer for me when I can be doing other things that are much more fun. LOL!! We travel a lot so the "travel" part is all about efficiency and the best use of your time. Time is very valuable to us. I follow Rick Steves' (travel guru) philosophy: "Treat vacation time like money - don't waste it!"
    Until we tried it a couple years ago, I probably we have agreed with you about moving. It makes it easier that I am comfortable without unpacking. Even our nicer clothes, nothing a quick iron cant fix while Jon is in the shower and I'm waiting anyway, but we are mostly casual. Playa Linda also has the room change down to a science and they make it easy. Changing rooms gives us an opportunity to stay longer on our travel budget and to experience different places and different beaches for more than just a day trip. And to keep with the topic, it's like having that first day drink a couple different times. It gives us the chance to immerse ourselves in a different area without the commitment or risk of missing out on an area we know we like. Drop the bags and head out to find that first drink again. Without the change we never would have found the Manchito!
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 08-09-2017 at 10:49 AM.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I enjoy that first drink either as I'm checking in or immediately from the beach bar at the hotel. This is the first trip during which we are getting our rental car at the airport upon arrival. DH said something funny to me, "When we check in, they probably won't have our room ready. Since we'll already have the car, we can go to Super Foods and get groceries." I gave him the "are you kidding me" look. I will have a drink in hand from the closest beach bar, and I will be planted in the sand before he can get the car unlocked.

That being said (and don't want to veer off topic) but, does anyone know how late Super Foods is open? I will willingly go for groceries after the sun sets.

Hoping for a 30th anniversary trip to our favorite place.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post

That being said (and don't want to veer off topic) but, does anyone know how late Super Foods is open? I will willingly go for groceries after the sun sets.
    8pm except on Sundays they close at 6pm.

8pm except on Sundays they close at 6pm.
    ​Thanks Amy!

Hoping for a 30th anniversary trip to our favorite place.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast