Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Big ole empty building

Big ole empty building

When we were at the Sail In on Friday we couldn't help but notice the huge, empty blue complex at the harbor. It seems like a waste of prime space. Does anyone know the story? What was it, why it's empty, anything?

Aruba since 1979
    the building that backs right up to the cruise port?
    i have heard many stories ranging from occupancy permit denials... to financial woes of the developers.
    my understanding it was to have been retail and condo residences.

it is an eyesore and a detriment to the very pretty look of the downtown.
    Quote Originally Posted by glewis View Post
    When we were at the Sail In on Friday we couldn't help but notice the huge, empty blue complex at the harbor. It seems like a waste of prime space. Does anyone know the story? What was it, why it's empty, anything?
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 05-05-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    is this the building of which you write?

Big ole empty building-503cf22412852.preview-620.jpg

That looks like it, Andrea. I have a pic, but its in my camera at home. I thought it was blue, but I've been wrong before! I figured you'd know the story. Thanks for the info. Just north of there they are demolishing what looks to have been warehouses, probably to replace with something more modern, so maybe the powers that be are working on modernizing the waterfront area.
    I miss it all already, it's been rainy and in the 40s-50s here in Colorado since we got back. Even the 20-30 mph "cooling trade winds" are looking good!

Aruba since 1979
    those buildings that they are demolishing are all part of the revitalization and rebirth of the cruise port of aruba.
    to the best of my knowledge,that whole area of old buildings (which many call the duty free zone) will be demolished and then revitalized.

the container ship port is in the process of being relocated to the barcadera area...south of the airport by a few miles.
    the project is huge and it is progressing.

however, i don't know the completion dates on these projects.

That looks like it, Andrea. I have a pic, but its in my camera at home. I thought it was blue, but I've been wrong before! I figured you'd know the story. Thanks for the info. Just north of there they are demolishing what looks to have been warehouses, probably to replace with something more modern, so maybe the powers that be are working on modernizing the waterfront area.
    I miss it all already, it's been rainy and in the 40s-50s here in Colorado since we got back. Even the 20-30 mph "cooling trade winds" are looking good!

Aruba since 1979
    here is a FB page and there are photos and a small blurb about the new container/commercial port at baracadera.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2605351&type=1

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    Walking by this building really creeps me out. There is no one down that alley across from the old location of the bar Natalie was taken from. The alley is eerie because it's deathly quiet and when the wind goes through the doors with holes in them it makes a ghostly howling sound. Truly creepy experience last time I was there!

Aruba since 1979
    yes the buidling has blue panels on it

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    There was a lot of controversy about the building before it was built. Most Arubans did not want to spoil the downtown area with it but I guess the politicians took a few favors and let them build it. It destroyed the viability of the buildings across from it. Now they don't know what to do with it. Maybe Charles could enlighten us on the building.

Eagle Beach to relax / Malmok, Boca Catalina & Arashi for snorkeling / Carte Blanche, Zeerovers, Sopranos Piano Bar, Kuku Kanuku & The Pata Pata Bar / The weekend flee market.
    I believe there was a restaurant there a few years ago, Gambero Rosso that we stumbled upon and we had a great meal there. A couple of years later we went to go back and it was closed.
    9th trip to Aruba in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast