Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By katherine

Thread: Big Waves

Big Waves

Bucutti and Manchebo beach cams seem to be showing some big waves today. On the Manchebo cam it appears lots of boys out on boogy boards.

Anyone currently on the island that can comment?
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Aruba since 1979
    katharine posted this earlier in the "my aruba story "section

"Costa Linda 3/30 -4/13
    We are one week into a 2 week stay at Costa Linda. So far we are loving the resort and having a great time. Today is very unusual...huge waves all night and day have washed away a lot of the beach and taken out some palapas, but other than that we have had great weather and mostly calm waters. "

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely View Post
    Bucutti and Manchebo beach cams seem to be showing some big waves today. On the Manchebo cam it appears lots of boys out on boogy boards.

Anyone currently on the island that can comment?

Weather update from Ralph, Kat's husband

Full beautiful moon and off shore storm brought us some very unexpected tides. The waves were beautiful, curling and large swells 5-6 feet that crashed on shore throughout Friday. costa Linda suffered the loss of several front row palapas and the red flag was flying throughout the day and still this morning.

If I can figure this technology out I can post some pictures of the shore erosion and the full moon from Friday at 5:30 am over the sea. Mesmerizing site.

I knew something was up Thursday night when I could hear the surf crashing from our room reminiscent of my days growing up at the jersey shore.
    katherine

Trip #14 in

It was the spring tide effect. Some of the waves down by the tam looked like about 10 ft high. The waves and tide seem to be back to normal today.

technology escapes me

lets see if these uploaded
    pictures of the beach erosion aftermath at CL and the beautiful full moon over the sea at 5:30 am "my time"

Katherine has much better pictures of the crashing surf. I'll try to upload those when i get a chance. these (if they posted) were from my trusty iPad
    Ralph
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Waves-erosion-cl.jpg   Big Waves-full-moon-over-aruba.jpg  

NJ Ralph, for comparison, here's a photo looking @ CL taken March 2009. That year, Bucutti had a ladder leaning against the bank for guests to use to access the beach!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Waves-aruba-2009-099.1.jpg  
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

kowabunga dude!!
    we did see a drop of about 18-inches in the beach front in some areas..but not that extent.

My kids would have loved the ladder in '09
    Ralph

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    At Divi Links that same week we did not see as much of a "dip" on the actual beach; however, there was about a 12" "dip" once you got a few feet into the water that you had to watch out for.