Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

bbry

I have a blackberry 8830 Worldphone and Verizon service. I was told by VZ today that i do not need a sim card. All i need to do is dial *228 to update my software, and I;m good. No unlocking or anything.

I also had to buy an International Data plan so i could get unlimited internet and emails, for $26 for my 12 days down there. Plus they charge $1.99 a minute for calls in and out, plus 50 cents per outgoing text and 5 cents per incoming text.

Anybody can confirm this - especially the lack of need for a sim card?

I also have a BB 8830 Worldphone. Verizon is right; you don't need to unlock the phone to use it in Aruba and pay their high rates. However, if you want to use a different sim card from another cell carrier, you will need to unlock the phone.

Verizon is now required to unlock the phone if you request it. This is a very easy process and all you need to do is enter a code that Verizon will give you. If you want cheaper rates, this is the way to go. Once unlocked, all you need is a sim card for any country that you are traveling.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    I also have a BB 8830 Worldphone. Verizon is right; you don't need to unlock the phone to use it in Aruba and pay their high rates. However, if you want to use a different sim card from another cell carrier, you will need to unlock the phone.

Verizon is now required to unlock the phone if you request it. This is a very easy process and all you need to do is enter a code that Verizon will give you. If you want cheaper rates, this is the way to go. Once unlocked, all you need is a sim card for any country that you are traveling.

Regards,
    Don't understand this - are you saying i should buy a sim card from the Aruba phone co when i get there then i will call from their system with no roaming charges? Frankly i am more concerned with data and email (and text) than i am with calling.

In order to use a sim card in Aruba, your phone must be unlocked by Verizon before your arrival. Once unlocked, you can just purchase a sim card either at the airport or at one of the many Setar stores in Aruba. They have different plans to choose - if you want the internet, they can help.

Here is the link for Setar and some of the plans that they offer. http://www.setar.aw/index.php?option...125&Itemid=303

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    david
    i have a verizon bb locked
    can i just go to the verizon store, ask they unlock it or give me the code?
    and while using here in the usa, unlocked, are there any ramifications? i would still have my verizon services with an unlocked phone here in the usa?
    this cell business is confusing.

I don't have Verizon, I have Sprint and they do not lock their phones. But if you unlock your phone, it will just all the phone to accept the SIM card. Otherwise the phone will not be able to use it. When using the phone in the US, Verizon does not use a SIM, so it should not effect you if it is unlocked. Just take out the Sim and you should be ok.
    Decided to take down my timer!

I don't have a BB but an Iphone and I went and got it unlocked for $35 near my home. a few days ago so I could use a SIM card in Aruba and make my phone a local phone. I used to have an unlocked phone before with no problems. Well this time, it totally screwed it up. Suffice it to say, I have a new Iphone 3GS today and was without service for 2 days which I found very difficult as I am very reliant on my phone. I didn't realize how much until I unlocked it. It seems Apple doesn't want phones unlocked or jailbroken and unlike my old phone where it was no problem to unlock, doing it this time, set off security safeguards that rendered certain applications unusable and the steps I took to resolve it made it worse. It was also difficult at the store as jailbreaking and unlocking a phone make it easy for them to say you must have done something wrong to the phone when you jailbroke it. It's set up a certain way and now "it's been tampered with". In Canada it is illegal to unlock phones according to Apple.
    That being said, my sister in Vancouver has a BB and it's unlocked and she has no problems with it. However, her old BB did have some issues and when she took it in for repair, she was also given a hassle as it was unlocked and the store used that as an excuse to not do a warranty repair. It may be different in the US but I would check first before unlocking. Your phone will likely work just fine back in USA.

I checked with my local cell phone company and the rates are really high when I travel, even with an international plan. I was advised that in order to avoid data charges and roaming charges to set my phone to "airplane mode" in my settings.

Anyways, this led me to do lots of research as I want to make free or cheap calls when traveling and even from home to my long distance contacts. I found some great ways to do this! There's the old standby Skype, not the cheapest but works very well. Then there's these:

First: Truphone - it's like Skype but cheaper and can be downloaded on your home pc, iphone and BB. They have options that allow you to pay local rates wherever you around the world on any sim card mobile (you don't need internet) or use an internet phone and make very cheap or free calls over internet, 3G or Wifi. It's probably the best one I could find and I definitely recommend checking it out.

http://truphone.com/

Second: Fring, I was using this one until recently but now unfortunately, my service provider here in Canada wouldn't allow me to make Skype calls using this service. However, for many of you, especially in the US, it's worth checking out. It lets you have all your contacts on different sites like Facebook. AOL, yahoo, msn, google talk, etc., all in one place and also will download your contacts from your phone so you have access to them easily. The beauty of using this application to make calls is that unlike Skype or Truphone and other free calling systems, the other person doesn't have to have anything downloaded. You just call them. There's also a Fring for visually impaired. You do have to download another softphone provider (called SIP like Skype or Aim and then enter that info into the settings of your phone) and then there's a dial pad on Fring and it gives you the option to dial a regular cell call like usual or a SIP call and that uses the provider you downloaded and entered to make cheap or free calls. There's no fees, no contracts, and very cheap and easy. Mobile to mobile, mobile to PC, PC to mobile all available. I still use all the chat options but just don't call with it.

Third: Jajah. I love this one and plan on trying it asap! It is possible to use your normal or mobile phone to make internet calls. No downloads, no installs, no headset is required to use jajahweb. All that is required is to go to www.jajah.com and register for the service. Once set up to make a call, you dial your number and the long distance number you want to reach. and click CaLL. Jahja calls you and then calls them and connects both of you for free or cheap depending on the call and package. If someone is wanting to call you long distance, you give them a local number that jahjah provides and they dial that and then your extension and voila! You are connected! Isn't that cool? It's really great for anyone without internet or a slow connection too. You can apparently just go to an internet cafe and use jajahweb to call anywhere in the world from your mobile phone. The rates are really low. From Aruba to Canada appears to be 9cents per minute.

Lastly: Voipium is a mobile VoIP service that offers cheap international calls through GSM and VoIP, without necessarily having a data plan (GPRS, 3G etc.) or Wi-Fi connection. If you do have any of the latter, you can make free calls to other users using the same networks. Vopium also offers new users 30 minutes free calls and 30 free SMS for trial.Save up to 90% for international calls. 30 minutes and 30 sms free. Superb call quality. Vopium is a free piece of software, which you download to your mobile phone. It helps you to save money by redirecting your international calls through the cheapest possible routing. Vopium is a mobile VoIP application providing you cheap rates by redirecting your international calls as local calls: When you make an international call, Vopium re-routes your call as a local call to Vopium. You pay Vopium for the cheap international call and your mobile operator for the local call. If you are connected to Vopium WiFi or have a flat rate subscription with your mobile operator you will not pay for any local call.

http://vopium.com/

Obviously I am not an expert so suggest going onto these sites and checking them out for yourself. You can try more than one and see which one works best for you and then delete the others if you want. Also, since they offer free trial periods and give you credits to get started, you can maximize your free talk time this way by using different VOIP providers.
    Oh and for iPhone users there's Icall which is Apple's own recommended VOIP provider and works very well too.

It may be just easier to rent a phone in Aruba. That way you don't need to worry about losing it or getting it water logged at the pool or beach. It can save headache and concern as you will know for sure what you are paying up front with the rental plan you use.

If anyone has more information or wants to correct anything I may be mistaken on, please do. I hope this all makes sense and is helpful for others on this site. Suffice it to say, if you have a phone and/or PC or access to one, you can make free or cheap calls anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by amarg; 07-27-2010 at 05:15 AM.

I am getting the idea that many cell users have been shocked by huge bills when they return from Vacation. Here are some tips to save you money and although it's for iPhone, the tips are relevant to all cell users. The important thing is to be mindful of usage when not in a WiFi hotspot and to make a plan for caling/texting/chatting in advance.

iPhone Tips for International Roamers

When using your service outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands (for either voice or data), international roaming rates apply. Your iPhone provides access to email, Visual Voicemail, Web browsing and other applications that can use a significant amount of data, so remember-international data roaming can get expensive quickly.

How iPhone Users Can Minimize International Data Charges:

Turn Data Roaming "OFF": By default, the setting for international data roaming will be in the "OFF" position.
    To turn data roaming "ON/OFF" tap on Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming
    – Turning "OFF" data roaming blocks email, browsing, visual voicemail and downloads, but it will not block text or picture/video messages.

– When abroad, international roaming rates apply when you send text or picture/video messages.

– To access audible voicemail when data roaming is “OFF”, tap on Phone>Voicemail. International roaming voice rates apply.

Utilize Wi-Fi Instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants to browse the web or check email.

Turn Fetch New Data "OFF": Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.

To turn off the Auto-Check functionality, tap on Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to "OFF" and select option Fetch Manually.

Consider Purchasing an International Data Package: Purchasing an international data package can significantly reduce the cost of using data abroad. AT&T now offers four discount international data packages. The 20 MB package is $24.99 per month, the 50 MB package is $59.99 per month, 100 MB package is $119.99 per month, and the 200 MB package is $199.99 per month. See att.com/worldpackages for details and international roaming rates. To add an international data package, call 1-800-331-0500.
    Reset the Usage Tracker to Zero: When you arrive overseas access the usage tracker in the general settings menu & select reset statistics. This will enable you to track your estimated data usage.

To reset Usage Tracker to Zero tap on Settings>General>Usage>Reset Statistics

I also found this website for iphone users:
    unlockediphone.info

I looked up reviews on this and it seems legit. It allows all iphone version users to unlock, jailbreak and revert back. They claim to have a money back guarantee and free updates. I believe it's $37.99 for the software.

My question to anybody out there who knows; where can I get a sim card in Aruba that has internet (data plan) capabilities and how much does it cost? I have no use for making phone calls via my iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by logan7ms View Post
    I also found this website for iphone users:
    unlockediphone.info

I looked up reviews on this and it seems legit. It allows all iphone version users to unlock, jailbreak and revert back. They claim to have a money back guarantee and free updates. I believe it's $37.99 for the software.

My question to anybody out there who knows; where can I get a sim card in Aruba that has internet (data plan) capabilities and how much does it cost? I have no use for making phone calls via my iphone.
    Check my prior post and I have a link to a company that has Sim's with internet.
    Decided to take down my timer!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast