Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I had contacted them prior to you posting but I still haven't heard anything back yet. Maybe I'm confused, but it states I can get a sim card for $10. Is that $10 just for the sim card and you have to pay for a data plan? It doesn't seem logical that I can surf the web, check email, use GPS for $10 for a week unless it's just WIFI. I really need the GPS function for traveling in the remote parts of the island and I doubt there will be a WIFI signal in those parts. Can anyone confirm the sim card thing? I haven't found a clear answer through all my research.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgroi135 View Post
    Check my prior post and I have a link to a company that has Sim's with internet.

Aruba since 1979
    Amarg thank you for your due diligence and suggestions!!
    logan7ms than you too.

is it just me or does it seem that the cell phone companies have us all under their thumbs?
    the phones should all have similar guts.....and should all be made as unlocked AND all coming with simple instructions that even i can understand.
    my bb curve will stay OFF while i am away and we will just use our aruba pay as you go cell phone.

Andrea, my husband just heard on the news that Senator Schumer from NY is working to make it illegal for cell phone companies to sell "locked" cell phones. I hope it passes, that would make it much easier for everyone!

Aruba since 1979
    thanks!
    hope it passes too!!!

I paid for the software to unlock my iphone and was promised it would be fine too. However, the cell phone companies and Apple have a vested interest in keeping us trapped and locked, hence all my phone troubles. I know for some it works just fine, usually if you have an older phone or version of itunes. I unfortunately have a brand new phone and a later version of itunes. The security within their framework is incredible. The first thing I noticed after unlocking my phone was that the internet no longer worked, no pages would open or load despite my paying for an unlimited data plan. When I called my carrier, they told me the phone is automatically set up to work with the latest version of itunes and to detect any tampering. Therefore, I had to update my phone to get it to work again, the catch is, updating it means it's no longer unlocked as the unlocking only works with older versions of itunes. I know this sounds confusing but if you have an iphone you may understand. You know when you plug into your computer everyday and every once in a while it asks you to install latest updates or new version? Well those are designed to stop people from unlocking their phones and then the techie wizards have to work on codes to unlock those new versions. Apple says it's to work out "bugs" in the phone software or operating systems but really it's to stay one step ahead of those of us who enjoy our freedom and like to have the right to use our phones however and whenever we like! It's really not fair IMO.

When I tried to "restore" my phone back to the way it was before jailbreaking/unlocking, the system wouldn't let me. It has to send a report to Apple and they have to approve the restore, well they obviously noticed my phone was changed and everything on my phone disappeared! Anyways, I continue try and work out the bugs with online instructions and the next thing I know, my phone freezes on the apple logo. It was a nightmare.

Before you try to jailbreak or unlock your phone, read instructions very carefully and make sure you don't have the latest version of Iphone software , it will only work with 3.1.3 and earlier.

Also, if you buy a Sim Card to install in your phone, it will give you internet access over WiFi for free. You can actually even use your phone WITHOUT a Sim Card installed and WiFi will work. You don't have to have a data plan for WiFi. My friend has Pay As You Go and doesn't have a data plan on her phone, however at home or when out, if there's WiFi hotspots, she can use the internet. I know people who remove their Sim Cards when traveling and only use WiFi hotspots in order to avoid any roaming charges. That way they know they are using free internet only. If you want to have access all the time regardless of whether you are in a hotspot, they you will need to find a carrier that offers data plans and pay for it. The $10 doesn't get you voice minutes either, only the Sim Card. It's the same as here in Canada where Sim Cards are $20 and I'm sure in the US it's the same thing. The Sim Card actually has value on it's own.

Does this make sense? If you have any more questions, feel free to message me.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for those links!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    david
    i have a verizon bb locked
    can i just go to the verizon store, ask they unlock it or give me the code?
    and while using here in the usa, unlocked, are there any ramifications? i would still have my verizon services with an unlocked phone here in the usa?
    this cell business is confusing.
    Hello Andrea,

The easiest and fastest way is to contact Verizon by phone and tell them that you want to unlock your BB so that you can use a sim card from a different provider while out of the Country. They must provide you with an unlock code. It is very easy and fast.

There are no ramifications of using an unlocked BB phone from Verizon since they have given you the code and it is authorized from them. It does not void the warranty as unlocking the Iphone from Apple would.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    verizon says i do not have a "global" therefore no place for insertion of a SIM card.
    :-(

Can someone explain what a sim card does? I am confused - if i buy a simcard in aruba does it give me access to the same system that i use thru arubafastphones for example/ So i can make calls to the U.S. for less that the 2 dollars a minute that verizon will charge me? Is unlocking the phone what is necessary to use a simcard, but if i dont unlock it i can use it internationally but only thru the verizon network, at their rippofff rates? This is all very confusing.
    Two years ago i was told i needed a simcard and i bought one in the U.S. the guy installed it and as soon as i got off th plane and turned it on, the phone crashed and i couldnt use it.l Once i got home it worked again.
    Last year i put no simcard in, but when i got to Aruba i turned on the phone and switched it to GSM mode, and it worked perfectly (but i paid verizon intl rates)
    So does a simcard allow me to avoid the exorbitant rates and use the aruba system if i buy it there? Does a simcard come loaded with prepaid minutes or something?
    I have a VZ bbry 8830 Worldphone.
    This is all very confusing.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast