Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pratoman View Post
    Can someone explain what a sim card does? I am confused - if i buy a simcard in aruba does it give me access to the same system that i use thru arubafastphones for example/ So i can make calls to the U.S. for less that the 2 dollars a minute that verizon will charge me? Is unlocking the phone what is necessary to use a simcard, but if i dont unlock it i can use it internationally but only thru the verizon network, at their rippofff rates? This is all very confusing.
    Two years ago i was told i needed a simcard and i bought one in the U.S. the guy installed it and as soon as i got off th plane and turned it on, the phone crashed and i couldnt use it.l Once i got home it worked again.
    Last year i put no simcard in, but when i got to Aruba i turned on the phone and switched it to GSM mode, and it worked perfectly (but i paid verizon intl rates)
    So does a simcard allow me to avoid the exorbitant rates and use the aruba system if i buy it there? Does a simcard come loaded with prepaid minutes or something?
    I have a VZ bbry 8830 Worldphone.
    This is all very confusing.
    This pretty much sums it all up. I was confused as well:
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-sim-card.htm

Is WiFi accessible on the island, and how easy is it to find a hot spot? Im able to use my phone (free) via WiFi and bypass the networks, if WiFi isn't hard to find.

I did see that there was wifi all over, but it seems like you need to pay for it. If i remember the network was called "ArubaWifi"
    Decided to take down my timer!

Quote Originally Posted by JRosco View Post
    Is WiFi accessible on the island, and how easy is it to find a hot spot? Im able to use my phone (free) via WiFi and bypass the networks, if WiFi isn't hard to find.
    Here is the list of hotspots though I am not going to guarantee they are "free"

http://www.wifi-aruba.com/hotspots.php

If I recall you are staying at the Divi Village? They have wifi but as of Dec. 2009 it was $50 per week.

According to the hotspots listed, Casa del Mar or Certified would probably be the closest for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    If I recall you are staying at the Divi Village? They have wifi but as of Dec. 2009 it was $50 per week.

According to the hotspots listed, Casa del Mar or Certified would probably be the closest for you.
    Yes, staying at the Divi Vilage....Im surprised they charge that much, thats quite a bit more than many other places I have visited, hopefully I will be able to find a cheaper or free hot spot if I really need connect with reality. lol

Thanks for the list and telling me the which ones would be closest to me!

Just to clear up any misconceptions or confusion iPhone users may have about traveling out of the country; I chatted with an AT&T representative today. I know I have been very confused so I hope this helps:

Michelle Johnson: I will be happy to assist you with your international concerns.
    Michelle Johnson: Which country are you traveling to?
    John Logan: Hi Michelle, I will be traveling to Aruba.
    Michelle Johnson: Would you like to learn about the rates for this country?
    John Logan: I just have a few questions regarding wifi and the sim card.
    Michelle Johnson: Go ahead
    John Logan: I basically need to know if I can turn off data roaming and use the Arubian wifi service for browsing the internet/GPS map without being charged international fees by AT&T?
    John Logan: I have free wifi in my hotel that I am staying in.
    Michelle Johnson: Yes you can turn data roaming and fetch data off and use wifi. You may also place your phone on airplane mode and still use wifi.
    John Logan: my sim card will work for wifi in Aruba?
    Michelle Johnson: Yes
    John Logan: Does data roaming "Off" disable text messages because I don't want those coming in by accident and getting charged for it?
    Michelle Johnson: No it does not disable text, but if you have the phone on airplane mode it will stop calls, text and data and allow you to connect to wifi .
    Michelle Johnson: Data roaming off only stops data ( internet and emails) .
    John Logan: Okay, makes sense. That's all I need then. Thank you so much. Have a great day Michelle!
    Michelle Johnson: You are welcome

Again, I am only interested in internet, not making phone calls. I feel stupid having asked all the questions now because I finally understand it all.
    Last edited by logan7ms; 07-28-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    Next Aruba trip in

logan7ms,

What hotel are you staying at? Knowing of at least one free hot spot is a plus!

Thanks!

logan7ms,

What hotel are you staying at? Knowing of at least one free hot spot is a plus!

Thanks!
    We are staying at the Marriott Surf Club but unfortunately the free guest internet is password protected. You have to login to the Marriott network account before gaining access.
    Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by logan7ms View Post
    We are staying at the Marriott Surf Club but unfortunately the free guest internet is password protected. You have to login to the Marriott network account before gaining access.

lol....yeah that makes sense, I actually don't know why I thought it would just be an open network! I guess I know what hotel I need to make friends at though! lol

lol....yeah that makes sense, I actually don't know why I thought it would just be an open network! I guess I know what hotel I need to make friends at though! lol
    Haha. If I remember correctly, it's pretty encrypted. You have to go to a secure website and fill out your name, room number and I believe it even verifies your location. I think you have to resign in every 24 hours because it is on a timeout system. The only places that I've ever received free internet or WIFI tend to be timeshare rentals. I've never had free service anywhere through all my years of travel.
    Next Aruba trip in

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast