Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Yes, a lot of hotels do require you to sign in every 24 hours, at least that has been the case when we've been in Niagra Falls and when I was in California last year.Lots of hotels here in Canada do offer free WiFi which is great. It seems that the more "touristy" destinations (sorry I don't think touristy is a word) charge for internet because they can.
    As for the Iphone info, that's exactly what I was told up here in Canada too so I am going to set my phone to airplane mode. I am renting a timeshare and paying for WiFi by buying a weekly card. I already reserved a cell phone for while I'm there but now am not sure if I need it as it's possible to use the internet through my phone to make free calls. However, that's outgoing. Unless the person calling me has one of the apps I have like Skype, then I will be charged roaming charges for accepting their calls right? For example, if I have a babysitter for my DD and she calls me locally on her cell phone and I answer, I'm charged. However, if my mom calls me via Skype and I answer via Skype, I'm not. Therefore, I think I will stick with using my phone and laptop for internet and outgoing calls (keeping my phone on airplane mode) and use the rental phone for all local calls. Is this a good plan?

Aruba since 1979
    sounds like a plan to me!
    touristy is a word!

Quote Originally Posted by amarg View Post
    Yes, a lot of hotels do require you to sign in every 24 hours, at least that has been the case when we've been in Niagra Falls and when I was in California last year.Lots of hotels here in Canada do offer free WiFi which is great. It seems that the more "touristy" destinations (sorry I don't think touristy is a word) charge for internet because they can.
    As for the Iphone info, that's exactly what I was told up here in Canada too so I am going to set my phone to airplane mode. I am renting a timeshare and paying for WiFi by buying a weekly card. I already reserved a cell phone for while I'm there but now am not sure if I need it as it's possible to use the internet through my phone to make free calls. However, that's outgoing. Unless the person calling me has one of the apps I have like Skype, then I will be charged roaming charges for accepting their calls right? For example, if I have a babysitter for my DD and she calls me locally on her cell phone and I answer, I'm charged. However, if my mom calls me via Skype and I answer via Skype, I'm not. Therefore, I think I will stick with using my phone and laptop for internet and outgoing calls (keeping my phone on airplane mode) and use the rental phone for all local calls. Is this a good plan?

Thanks for the phone suggestion Andrea. I emailed them and Trees emailed me back right away and it's all booked. She provided great customer service so far. She also told me they could get me a car with a carseat since Tropic is all booked up.
    Now the only thing is I haven't heard back from Bully and have emailed him and sent him a private message already. I don't want to stalk him so perhaps he is busy? I sent the first message a week ago and the second two days ago.

Aruba since 1979
    check your spam folder
    his name is amador lacle

Already did, just in case. No go. Will be patient and wait a couple of days and try again.

Taxidriver has not been on the forum. Is he in the middle of moving to his new home.

Thanks Lisa! I didn't know that. I will just wait and see if he emails me back then and not send another private message. Also, sorry to hijack this thread.

I emailed Arubafast phones about blackberry service from them, here is the responce that I got from them

"We are no longer at the airport, but we still provide our services and
    deliveries to the Hotels. our Sim card cost you ,$35 included 84 minute
    cal back to the US..and for DATA Activation for 1 week is $15 then you can
    uses BB message"

I emailed him back to see if that includes unlimited Internet. But this would be the same price as the other company that was dicussed here.

I also emailed SETAR and here was their response, didn't really explain much but here it is. The question that I asked about BB Internet and such was not answered. This may have just been a copy paste email response.

"If your phone is unlocked, inserting a SETAR prepaid chip should not be a problem.

Our prepaid sim-cards have a value of $20,- and within the $ 20,- you get a $5,71 calling credit.
    We sell our Sim-cards at our TeleKiosk at the airport and in our stores around the island.

The rate to the USA on a pre-paid phone is Awg 0.52 a minute through the day (see schematic below).
    For example we have a Awg 35.- prepaid card (=US$ 20); the Awg 35.- is approximately 70 minutes worth of calls to the USA during the day and 77 minutes during the evening and weekends.

Setar also offers six different phone cards with denominations of Awg 5,-(20 days), Awg 10,-(30 days), Awg 15,-(30 days), Awg 25,-(45 days), Awg 35,-(60 days) and Awg 50,- (60 days).
    You can buy a prepaid card at most supermarkets, bars and restaurants in Aruba, at the main-office and at all SETAR's Teleshops.
    North America
    ScheduleStandardReduced
    Canada20,520,37
    USA - Alaska20,550,45
    USA - Continental20,550,45
    USA - Hawaii20,550,45
    Schedule:
    1. No Reduction hours
    2. Reduction Daily from Mon - Fri 19:00 - 07:00 and Weekend Fri - Mon 19:00 - 07:00
    3. Reduction Daily from Mon - Fri 16:00 - 05:00 and Weekend Fri - Mon 16:00 - 5:00"
    Decided to take down my timer!

The Surf Club internet is free for guests and is connected through a cable, not wireless. When you sign in the first time after checking in, it allows you to register for the week and provides a personal wireless password for use in the lobbies, pool area, restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnev View Post
    The Surf Club internet is free for guests and is connected through a cable, not wireless. When you sign in the first time after checking in, it allows you to register for the week and provides a personal wireless password for use in the lobbies, pool area, restaurants.
    Sorry, my mistake. That does sound more like it. Thank you for correcting me on this. I travel a lot and small technical details like that kind of start blending together from place to place.
    Next Aruba trip in

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast