Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    So US Congress passed a law last week that jailbreaking phones is now legal in the US. It is still against the law in Canada although it's expected that Canadian law makers will follow suit quite soon.

The catch? Apple states that jailbreaking your iPhone voids its warranty. The warranty is good for one year unless you buy an extended warranty at time of purchase for additional time.

Although Apple has never prosecuted anyone for jailbreaking, it does use software upgrades to disable jailbroken phones, and the new U.S. rules won’t stop that. (Nor Canadian ruling as this is what happened to me and I had to buy a new phone after my jailbroken phone stopped working). That means jailbreakers still run the risk of voiding their warranty as I stated earlier.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris insisted Monday that jailbreaking can make an iPhone unstable and unreliable.

“Apple’s goal has always been to ensure that our customers have a great experience with their iPhone, and we know that jailbreaking can severely degrade the experience,” she said.

There is also a new software release which enables users to unlock the iPhone 4 and also Iphone 3G and 3GS which were updated to version 4 (previously unlockable). The funny part of this story is that there has been some young people apparently going around to different Apple stores in the US and jailbreaking and unlocking display iPhones. Now that I think is hilarious!

OK, we are so not into cell phones and blackberries. Do I understand that we can buy a "track phone" unlocked ) in MA. maybe Walmart, that will accept a Simm card and then contact Arubafastphones.com to meet up with us and pay $20 for the card and then buy air time?

Arriving in Aruba 9/4, need to decide, which way to go. Need to have contact both ways as a family member is having an operation 9/8. Any ideas? Looking forward to your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by murphmom View Post
    OK, we are so not into cell phones and blackberries. Do I understand that we can buy a "track phone" unlocked ) in MA. maybe Walmart, that will accept a Simm card and then contact Arubafastphones.com to meet up with us and pay $20 for the card and then buy air time?
    I would weigh the option of just renting a cell phone in Aruba vs. having to purchase a Tracphone http://www.tracfone.com/ and then switching SIM cards, if they are even enabled for that. That is of course if you were only to use the Tracphone for your Aruba trip.

I think that renting a phone from arubadiscount rentals or such is a better deal than buying a phone.

Thanks for your advice, hubby is still on the fence and wants to buy a phone in Aruba, too much angst going into Aruba trip. But that's what guys do. I'd like to keep it simple and just chill out. 24 days and counting!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by murphmom View Post
    hubby is still on the fence and wants to buy a phone in Aruba
    www.aruba.com/forum/f7/can-someone-help-me-digicel-46791/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567