Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Boat Capsized, Shark Attack off Aruba Coast

Accidents happen when alcohol is involved

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I'm relieved the shark attack wasn't actually IN Aruba. I'd be worried, stumbling out of Yemanja after one too many Retoxes, that a great white might be lurking around the corner.

"Candy-Gram!!"

One of the best quotes ever!

My condolences to their families.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Amigoe has more detailed info. The boat "Doņa Matilda" sunk 30 miles off the shore of Aruba. The four surviving crew members were found close to the drillship "Pacicic Meltem" five miles southwest of Aruba. One of the men was seriously injured by being bitten by sharks. He died shortly after in the helicopter.

Here is the Google translation:

Sunken boat will not be recovered

Monday, December 21, 2015 14:10

ORANJESTAD - The "Doņa Matilda was en route from Bonaire to Aruba when a large wave sank the boat. That ended the lives of three passengers. Four were injured and hospitalized. The boat will not be recovered.

By our reporter

Leanne van Spronsen

The survivors stated that they were on board with seven members of the Doņa Matilda, who left Thursday from Bonaire. Friday afternoon when a large wave hit the boat, it sank immediately at about thirty miles from the Aruban coast. Two crew members were unable to get off the boat and disappeared with the boat to the seabed. Based on the statements of the survivors it is certain that these two men drowned and are probably still in the boat. However, the Coast Guard is not looking for the Doņa Matilda. Roderick Governor, Caribbean Coastguard spokesman: "At the place where the boat is sunk, it is extremely deep. The two men were drowned and it is almost impossible to recover the boat and the bodies in that place. "

The deceased crew member was transferred to the Venezuelan consulate. "We are looking into this case, contact the consulate and acting anything further away." All seven crew had Venezuelan nationality. The boat was transporting liquor, such as whiskey.

Drowning

On Friday the Rescue and Coordination Centre (RCC) of the Caribbean Coastguard was notified that Doņa Matilda left on Thursday from Bonaire for Aruba, but never arrived. The Coast Guard patrol aircraft, the Dash-8, was deployed immediately, but found nothing. Saturday afternoon, a report from the drillship "Pacific Meltem 'that they had taken a drowning person on board and that three people clinging to the anchor chain of the ship. This ship is regularly anchored in the waters of Aruba. A fourth drowning man was drifting behind the ship. This was five miles southwest of Aruba.

Rescue Mission

Then a rescue operation was started, Coast Guard, Marine Police and the Coast Station Aruba Ports Authority worked closely. The Coast Guard sent the 'Panther' straight towards the ship and the helicopter headed for this place. First was the victim, who was drifting behind the Pacific Meltem, removed from the water by a helicopter-rescuer. This man was seriously injured by being bitten by sharks. He would be brought by helicopter to the airport and from there by ambulance to the hospital. Police closed the L. G. Smith Boulevard therefore, so that the ambulance would have free passage. However, the injured died in the helicopter.

Parched

Panther took the other three crew members from the water, clinging to a pallet and a refrigerator. They were exhausted and dehydrated and transported urgently to hospital as soon as the Panther had built in the Port of Bay Horse. Panther again turned back to the drilling vessel to catch the last drowning there disembark and transfer to ambulance personnel. "These four people create the circumstances doing," Roderick late Governor, spokesman Caribbean Coastguard know.

Thursday, Coast Guard rescued even though five passengers with whom it worked out a lot better. They were aboard the 'Doņa Martina' from Venezuela and were at the height of the refinery problems with the engine. A police boat dragged them to the port of Barcadera.

http://www.amigoe.com/aruba/219657-g...-niet-geborgen

Aruba since 1979
    omgosh it took 9 hours, but i finally get it.
    "candy gram"
    i swam a bit this morning and the whole time i was thinking.....about ...what did he mean by "candy gram"?

lights are on, nobody's home.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I'm relieved the shark attack wasn't actually IN Aruba. I'd be worried, stumbling out of Yemanja after one too many Retoxes, that a great white might be lurking around the corner.

"Candy-Gram!!"

I still don't get it! So don't feel bad Andrea!

Aruba since 1979
    Saturday Night Live (Land shark skit.......Plumber, telegram, candygram)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I still don't get it! So don't feel bad Andrea!

Guess this is where I admit that I have never seen Saturday Night Live! Sad, I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Guess this is where I admit that I have never seen Saturday Night Live! Sad, I know!
    <<OFF TOPIC>> Peg... Forty-one yeas of SNL in ten minutes!

http://youtu.be/uShCUp2QYGs

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Fox news had a story about the shark attack in Aruba.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    The shark attack happened just five miles off the shore of Aruba, where the drill ship "Pacific Melhem" is anchored.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast