Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Boat Capsized, Shark Attack off Aruba Coast

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    unfortunately there are sharks in the waters, its where they live. as long as they stay the heck off the shoreline. besides, I always make sure when I'm in the water, there are people out further than me. if a shark comes in, they have to go through them first. anyway, I know this is off topic for this post but I miss Aruba..

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    The Coast Guard posted about this rescue operation and included 7 pictures on their FB:
    (please scroll down to post dated 20 December):

https://www.facebook.com/kwcarib/?fref=photo

Look at the 3rd photo. Am I seeing things or is that a shark in the water near the anchor chain?

Looks like a shark to me!

​Here is the Fox news story

Shark kills ship's captain during Coast Guard rescue near Aruba

Published December 22, 2015

A Venezuelan man was attacked by a shark moments before the Dutch Caribbean Coast Guard tried to reach him and his crew during a daring rescue operation Saturday after their boat capsized in the waters off Aruba.

Dutch Caribbean Coast Guard spokesman Roderick Gouverneur told The Associated Press that the shark attacked the man as he was clinging to a rescue buoy and a member of the Coast Guard suspended from a helicopter was trying to rescue him. He said the man – who was identified by local media as 58-year-old ship captain Adrian Esteban Rafael, according to the IB Times -- died Saturday on the way to the hospital.
    Two other men perished when they sank with the vessel, the Doņa Matilde.

A man who identified himself as a Dutch Caribbean Coast Guard officer posted on his Twitter account pictures purportedly showing the rescue.
    Four crew members who survived by holding on to a refrigerator and pallet were hospitalized in Aruba for dehydration and were still recovering Tuesday.
    The men were traveling from Bonaire to Aruba to sell whiskey when their boat capsized after it was hit by a wave, Gouverneur said.
    Venezuelans often travel on boats laden with goods to sell throughout the Dutch Caribbean islands.

Aruba since 1979
    Boat Capsized, Shark Attack off Aruba Coast-12390830_919132284834589_6111856547202878326_n.jpgwell it certainly is not shamu or flipper
    thanks retagger

100% looks like a shark...its why I don't swim in the Ocean all that much. If I can see, I am okay...but I prefer staying on land, lol.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    Look at the 3rd photo. Am I seeing things or is that a shark in the water near the anchor chain?
    Yes, this is a shark.

In Papiamento it's called "tribon". You can see in the comments and in Diario where they were talking about it.

Amazing animals. Quite generous of them to let us swim in their home, as long as we respect boundaries
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    the story that i have heard from Aruba residents is that the "shark" in the photo is indeed a dolphin.

what "if" it was a dolphin in the photo?
    what "if" a dolphin (s) were instrumental in protecting those that were rescued?

http://www.dolphins-world.com/dolphins-rescuing-humans/

the boat captain was bit and bled out as he was rescued.
    so tragic, just a couple of seconds between life and death.

CK1, i know that you love research. I also know it is Christmas and an incredibly busy time.
    If you have the time and or the inclination, maybe you can find something on the web about if dolphins were involved with this horrible sea accident .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast