Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bringing alcohol back to the USA?

Bringing alcohol back to the USA?

Hey everybody, I feel like this has been asked a lot, but they way that I've always read it has been people who want to bring alcohol into Aruba from the US.

I'm here for the first time with my parents, and I have some alcohol that I want to take back (for friends, for myself) and I just want to make sure that they aren't going to confiscate it. It will be going in my checked baggage, not my carry-on, and I don't mind paying any duty on it. I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting my money by buying it and then having it thrown out.

What I plan on taking back:

2 bottles of wine
    7 bottles of different beer (my roommate is a big beer drinker, I thought I'd get him different types to try)
    4 bottles of rum (I'm a big rum drinker and this is what I plan on taking back just for me)

If I know that I'm ok to bring it back, I may end up buying a little more...

Again, I don't mind paying duty, I just don't want it all to be thrown out!

I'm sorry if this has been answered, I've searched the forums and the ones that I've read always seem like it's for alcohol being brought INTO Aruba, not INTO the USA.

Thanks!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    There really is no limit. You can bring in as much as you want for personal use. You are allowed either 1 or 2 liters per person, cant remember for sure, duty free. You have to pay duty and taxes on the rest of it. I have heard though that if you try to bring in more than a case, they might consider it as bringing it in commercially. For that they make you get a license.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    There really is no limit. You can bring in as much as you want for personal use. You are allowed either 1 or 2 liters per person, cant remember for sure, duty free. You have to pay duty and taxes on the rest of it. I have heard though that if you try to bring in more than a case, they might consider it as bringing it in commercially. For that they make you get a license.
    Thank you very much! My parents are going to be putting half in their luggage as well, so I'm hoping that they won't think that's too much!

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum dortchy

hope that your liquid refreshement purchases are wrapped very well.

if you claim them on US CUSTOMS form, you will indeed be paying a duty

re the beer........isn't balashi and chill the only 2 that are found only in aruba?

good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Dortchy05 View Post
    Thank you very much! My parents are going to be putting half in their luggage as well, so I'm hoping that they won't think that's too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Dortchy05 View Post
    Hey everybody, I feel like this has been asked a lot, but they way that I've always read it has been people who want to bring alcohol into Aruba from the US.

I'm here for the first time with my parents, and I have some alcohol that I want to take back (for friends, for myself) and I just want to make sure that they aren't going to confiscate it. It will be going in my checked baggage, not my carry-on, and I don't mind paying any duty on it. I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting my money by buying it and then having it thrown out.

What I plan on taking back:

2 bottles of wine
    7 bottles of different beer (my roommate is a big beer drinker, I thought I'd get him different types to try)
    4 bottles of rum (I'm a big rum drinker and this is what I plan on taking back just for me)

If I know that I'm ok to bring it back, I may end up buying a little more...

Again, I don't mind paying duty, I just don't want it all to be thrown out!

I'm sorry if this has been answered, I've searched the forums and the ones that I've read always seem like it's for alcohol being brought INTO Aruba, not INTO the USA.

Thanks!
    You didn't mention your age... assuming you're of legal drinking age? My brother got burned on that when he was returning to Canada - he was eighteen and the legal drinking age is nineteen in Ontario. Bye-bye liquor.

You have amounts that are federally driven in the US that you will not be taxed on; beyond that, they may enforce duty on you if declared. Keep in mind that your parents are entitled to the same limits as well so, if you distribute the booze claim among the three of you, you'll have a lower duty charge.

If you don't declare it and customs finds it, it'll be confiscated and you will most likely be fined.

I usually pack these bubble wrap that I got on a cruise ship to pack on planes...
    Always worked and never had a broken bottle yet. Also wrap the bottle in my beach towels and pack
    in between clothes too.
    Can we each bring back two bottles?

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum dortchy

hope that your liquid refreshement purchases are wrapped very well.

if you claim them on US CUSTOMS form, you will indeed be paying a duty

re the beer........isn't balashi and chill the only 2 that are found only in aruba?

good luck
    We cant get Amstel Bright here, don't know about other places.

Hey everybody!

Thanks for all the replies! I definitely feel a lot better about this now. The lady at the concierge desk had told me that I would only be allowed to bring back one bottle and that it had to be bought at the duty free shop, that's what had me really freaked out!

Just to clarify, I'm 22, so I'm fine on the legal age limit. And as for the beer, I go to school in a decent sized town in Missouri. We don't always have the biggest selection of beer, so I just grabbed a few that I know we don't really have in that town.

I'm also super glad that La Cabana is really close to Super Foods! They have an awesome selection of alcohol! The only thing that's thrown me is that the 3 different times I've gone into the liquor store part, I've had the same girl check me out. Needless to say, I think she thinks I'm an alcoholic!

For your next trip may I suggest "wine diapers". It's a plastic coated bag with a liner. If the bottle breaks, the liner will absorb an entire bottle of wine. I use them but have never had a bottle break to test them. They're reusable.

When are you traveling? I once bought 2 bottles in NY Duty Free to Aruba. When I arrived in Aruba, after going through customs, picking up luggage, I got stopped by customs right at the exit. I though I was fine with 2 liters but I ended up paying $11 for a bottle of rum i paid $15. I was Pssssst!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast