Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Bringing Dog To Aruba for Vacation

Aruba since 1979
    holy cow YES FLEAS!!
    please make certain that your dog is protected well against fleas.
    are ticks an issue there?

I have seen both flea & tick prevention discussed on Aruba vet & rescue websites so I would think both could be an issue and would suggest serious prevention & inspection of a dog every day.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

First of all thank you to everyone for this information! I have just logged in after a couple of days and am shocked by all of the feedback!

We are getting married at the Hyatt and will be there for an extended period of time, we also hope to own property in Aruba so figuring out a way to get our dog there was a must. Yes, the Hyatt is dog friendly. I've also heard great things about the Ritz, also pet friendly. Pup will be flying in cabin (first class actually!) and is a well tempered dog, so the plane I'm not so worried about, just hoping for a nice smooth flight!

Aquaman, thank you for all of your useful info, I am so sorry you had to go through that.
    I have been in touch with the Aruban Authority about bringing my dog over the last year or so. They did advise me to get a pre approval by sending my paperwork PRIOR to our arrival. So I am aware of everything I need and that this rule is now in affect! It actually makes me a little more at ease knowing I will get this preapproval letter before we leave the states after hearing of your story...the more ducks I can have in a row before leaving the better!

I suppose some people have easier experiences than others, I know a women down there right now with 2 small dogs, she basically walks right through customs without a peep and her dogs are on the beach at the Hyatt as we speak!

I've read about the fleas and ticks, not only do we have her normal flea prevention medicine but I have thought of having her wear a flea collar while their also.

If anyone else has any info, feel free to post!

You may want to look into homeopathic repellents also - just so you don't overdose her on chemicals. Garlic & peppermint oil both work really well in my experience - but obviously do your research as to dosages for her size.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    You may want to look into homeopathic repellents also - just so you don't overdose her on chemicals. Garlic & peppermint oil both work really well in my experience - but obviously do your research as to dosages for her size.
    Thanks Jacki,
    I'm always up for a more natural approach. The ticks this season up here in the northeast have us all freaking out this year, they are SO bad!

I'm in Jersey - I and 2 of my dogs have/had lyme disease. I'm a little insane over the ticks....

Aruba since 1979
    genuine aruba tick from AQUAMAN via andreaBringing Dog To Aruba for Vacation-img_0318.jpg

Aquaman- I thought of a question maybe you could answer?
    Has getting back into the states ever been a problem for you? Any additional paperwork that needs to be done for that? I've looked on the USDA website and it's not very clear, any feedback would be appreciated! I've reached out to the Vet in Aruba that handles the paperwork in the meantime to make sure there are no new rules I need to be aware of.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    genuine aruba tick from AQUAMAN via andreaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	5953
    Thanks Andrea. I could not upload myself. It has been a day of on again off again and low voltage electrical issues here on the Island.

Yes ticks are very very prevalent here While there are no deer here, and Lyme disease is no. Existent, those ticks can give some nasty bites/infections.

For dogs the best best prevention is a topical treatment. We apply once a month and have had no issues with our dog.....a King Charles Cavalier. My sister in law brought her dog down and it ended up with ticks the 1st day.

My advice to CR DAVIES is to start a month or so ahead. Also, while your dog may be placid, I caution you to be careful about some of those Aruba hounds. I had a personal experience where two of the beach dogs turned real nasty when I was walking our little guy one morning.

Enjoy your trip. Luck First Class dog you have
    A novel set in Aruba "Journey of Betrayals" available now on Amazon or at certain bookstores in Aruba
    "The sequel "Journey to Unknown Consequences" available this November, 2017
    John the (aquaman) www.homeaway.com/3507664 or www.homeaway.com/3903317

Quote Originally Posted by crdavies View Post
    Aquaman- I thought of a question maybe you could answer?
    Has getting back into the states ever been a problem for you? Any additional paperwork that needs to be done for that? I've looked on the USDA website and it's not very clear, any feedback would be appreciated! I've reached out to the Vet in Aruba that handles the paperwork in the meantime to make sure there are no new rules I need to be aware of.
    Thanks!
    i am frm Canada so not sure I can give an accurate answer as we generally fly direct to Canada. However, when we needed to fly through the US we had no issues on our return. On occasion the airline e checkin folks asked to see the Vet paperwork for Rabies, Parvo virus etc. Other than that, no issue
    A novel set in Aruba "Journey of Betrayals" available now on Amazon or at certain bookstores in Aruba
    "The sequel "Journey to Unknown Consequences" available this November, 2017
    John the (aquaman) www.homeaway.com/3507664 or www.homeaway.com/3903317

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast