Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Bringing food in luggage

Bringing food in luggage

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    No doubt!! I will reduce the amount of food I bring with us this year and hopefully reduce a whole suitcase which will already save me $50 ($25 each way) and buy things like Peanut Butter, jelly, nuts, mac & cheese there.
    We've brought a lot of stuff to the island for the condo. Here's a trick I use so I am not paying for luggage both ways since there will be empty suitcases going back. I use regular suitcase for about half of what we are bringing and large duffle bags that fold or roll up for the rest. Since a lot of stuff is staying or in your case, being eaten, you can just roll up the duffle and shove it into a regular suitcase so you are only paying for it going in one direction.

Great tip, when I last went down with supplies to donate for the animals we used suitcases that fit inside one another so at the end we could consolidate. Luckily, I use a lot of travel credit cards and one of the benefits is free checked luggage!

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    We've brought a lot of stuff to the island for the condo. Here's a trick I use so I am not paying for luggage both ways since there will be empty suitcases going back. I use regular suitcase for about half of what we are bringing and large duffle bags that fold or roll up for the rest. Since a lot of stuff is staying or in your case, being eaten, you can just roll up the duffle and shove it into a regular suitcase so you are only paying for it going in one direction.

Quote Originally Posted by crdavies View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input, keep the suggestions coming!
    Don't forget about bringing frozen items in your checked baggage. We are bringing smoked pulled pork, smoked brisket, smoked ham and smoked turkey. All frozen and will last at least 36 hours before any threat of thawing. We pack it all in a soft sided cooled and throw it in the suitcase. We make sandwiches for lunch almost every day and even an easy dinner after a busy day.

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    We need to watch what we tell people to bring, meats are not allowed. When we told a friend of ours who works for the government and his dad is an Aruba customs agent that we bring steaks, his jaw almost hit the ground in shock. They are members on this forum. As far as I'm concerned, no meats for me
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Don't forget about bringing frozen items in your checked baggage. We are bringing smoked pulled pork, smoked brisket, smoked ham and smoked turkey. All frozen and will last at least 36 hours before any threat of thawing. We pack it all in a soft sided cooled and throw it in the suitcase. We make sandwiches for lunch almost every day and even an easy dinner after a busy day.

Aruba since 1979
    we bring frozen prepared meals
    as well as cold cuts frozen

my understanding was raw meat not allowed

however we have brought raw steak.

Aruba since 1979
    LTKWM...please ask your friend that is a forum member to please post what is NOT allowed.
    i hve never seen an actual Aruba Customs Listing of what is and is not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaveTheKidsWithMom View Post
    We need to watch what we tell people to bring, meats are not allowed. When we told a friend of ours who works for the government and his dad is an Aruba customs agent that we bring steaks, his jaw almost hit the ground in shock. They are members on this forum. As far as I'm concerned, no meats for me

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    I don't want to stir anything up right now especially with that countdown ticker under my post. Here's a couple of links, it is pretty clear.
    https://www.visitaruba.com/traveling...r-travel-tips/
    https://www.iamovers.org/files/newim...pers/aruba.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    LTKWM...please ask your friend that is a forum member to please post what is NOT allowed.
    i hve never seen an actual Aruba Customs Listing of what is and is not allowed.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    We take carry on since we have a washer/dryer. Since we stay for a month, I get a box, fill it with full size toiletries, coffee, sugar packets, etc. We do get free luggage since we fly first class. Once in Aruba, we get the box from luggage belt, empty it and throw the box away. When we come home, we only have the carry on.

Now anyone who has to retrieve luggage at Newark Airport knows, it is the worst place to retrieve your luggage. Aruba is a breeze to get your luggage, so we have no problem with the box. Usually Homeland in Newark has already opened it, put their sticker on it and in Aruba they see the Homeland sticker and waive us through. I tell anyone who travels with me and we land back in Newark, they can not bring checked luggage. Getting luggage from Newark takes almost as long as the flight (ok, not that long but it is an ordeal).

Aruba since 1979
    here are some threads that have discussions about bringing food.........fresh, frozen or otherwise.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/suitcase-food-shop-aruba-65820/

Prescription drugs and food

Frozen meat

Bring from home or do FULL grocery shopping there?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    the only food i bring are dried cranberries (in an unopened bag), coffee & peanut butter. everything else we buy there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast