Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Food to Aruba

We always bring food with us. I freeze everything and put it in a cooler. I check the cooler as luggage. Fortunately, we are preferred members on US Air so we can check 2 bags each for free. You cannot take dry ice, but the blue ice paks work great! I hope the rules haven't changed becuase I plan on doing it again in January for our next trip.

I met someone who got caught bringing in something they weren't supposed to and they got a very stern warning!

IMO, if this is a new rule, I wouldn't take the chance of going against the rules. As stated, the grocery stores carry all kinds of meat and poultry, many from the US. For the extra few dollars, it may not be worth the risk of getting in trouble with the customs people. Risk of being caught may be small but what are the consequences??
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Bringing meat to Aruba

I don't know if this is a new rule or not, but they are enforcing their rules. Read the thread about Buster's. I know it's a building permit issue, but this gov't seems to take a dislike to dismisssing their rules. The supermarkets in Aruba sell quality goods and the prices are not that much higher. I stopped bringing anything other than coffee when the Hickory Farms summer sausage I brought from home was not in my luggage upon arrival (14 yrs ago).
    crosby

Bringing meat to Aruba

My friends and I have been bringing frozen food in a soft pack cooler on wheels for a long time and have never had a problem. We did it last year and it was fine. I own week 4 in January and we rent week 5. I hope that the rules have not changed. I would hate to get to the airport and have all the food taken awY from us. Is there anyway that we can find out if it is still ok?

Knitwit

Aruba since 1979
    i will ask the folks at the ATA to send me the list of rules PDF.
    since it is friday night, i do not expect a response til monday.

Eagle Beach and love venturing out throughout the whole island
    I have brought my own meats for several years now...i usually fly on a direct flight so the 4 1/2 hours in airplane cargo hold doesn't hurt a thing the meat is still frozen...
    we are there for 3 weeks and eating out and grocery shopping each week can get costly but trust me we do grocery shop....I love a lot of Aruba items I can't get in the states..no new rules that I am aware of...arubadebbi

Smile

I am in Aruba for my 25th time and I think this is where the confussion is. You can bring frozen meat and stuff into Aruba but the US will not let you bring anything back to the States. I even bring a cooler on wheels onto the plane full of frozen meat when I go because I stay for 9 weeks when I go in the summer and winter. You just cannot have frozen water or ice or dry ice in cooler. It must just all be like frozen meat. Even if you freeze water in bottles, they take it out. Hope this helps. Kent
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Aruba since 1979
    here is the reply i got from one of the nice folks at the ATA office
    Hi Andrea,

Sorry for the delay in reply but it took a while to gather this info.

According to someone we spoke with at the Customs office, it is ok to bring a small cooler with a frozen meats or dinners. Small quantities are ok as long as they do not try to sneak in the whole cow J

Hope this helps clear thins a bit. Anything else just let me know!

Have a great day!

You have me a little nervous now. I'm guilty of the first and last on the prohibited list. Oh well I'll just take my chances. ...only kidding...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    here is the reply i got from one of the nice folks at the ATA office
    Hi Andrea,

Sorry for the delay in reply but it took a while to gather this info.

According to someone we spoke with at the Customs office, it is ok to bring a small cooler with a frozen meats or dinners. Small quantities are ok as long as they do not try to sneak in the whole cow J

Hope this helps clear thins a bit. Anything else just let me know!

Have a great day!
    I wonder what they consider a "small cooler"?
    Six pack size or suitcase size?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast