Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By aquaman
  • 1 Post By WaltVB

Thread: Bugger Off

Bugger Off

At least that is what I would like to tell the bugs. I have been here on the Island with my (better) half since September. In 8 years I have never experienced mozzys and no-see-ems like this year. They come out a lot earlier at around 3:00pm and get a lot worse at dusk. Never before have we experienced such a large population of flies and other creepy crawlies at the Villas as we have this year. I have the properties fumigated and that helps but the mozzys are fast small and seem to bite while flying by. ( I gues they learned a lot from politicians and the taxman)

Don't let this turn you off coming to Aruba. There is plenty of bug spray to be had in the stores.

J

You must have sweet blood. I always read about people getting bit at resorts etc, when I get there, no bites. A few months back I read about people complaining about mosquitoes at the Tamarijn. I did not see (or feel) anything.

You know, next time I go I will get eaten alive now...

Aruba since 1979
    oh no!

i have heard few complaints so far in the past few months.

i remember once it was very bad with mozzys a few years ago in december......so bad we had to leave an outdoor restaurant.
    our legs were a bitten mess.

we sometimes remember to bring bug spray.
    we should always remember to bring it.

fabric softener sheets rubbed on helps keep the bugs away, but experience has told me a bug spraywith deet works the best.

good luck john
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    At least that is what I would like to tell the bugs. I have been here on the Island with my (better) half since September. In 8 years I have never experienced mozzys and no-see-ems like this year. They come out a lot earlier at around 3:00pm and get a lot worse at dusk. Never before have we experienced such a large population of flies and other creepy crawlies at the Villas as we have this year. I have the properties fumigated and that helps but the mozzys are fast small and seem to bite while flying by. ( I gues they learned a lot from politicians and the taxman)

Don't let this turn you off coming to Aruba. There is plenty of bug spray to be had in the stores.

J

Once at MJ outdoor there were mosquitos but I had sprayed myself with deet. i had shorts on so i took precaution. There is this bug spray that I purchased on Ebay that works great! It has a vanilla scent. Its calld Bugg Spray insect reppelent which contains 25% deet and with the added vanilla scent is supposed to keep the mosquitos, no seem up and other criters away. One time in Puerto Rico the mosquitos where all over my cousins on top of her head and she kept scratching her arms, legs etc. I was sitting next to her and they didn't bite me. Someone commented, why they were not around me and only her. I started laughing and said to myself, wow this stuff really works!

There is only one time that a bug issue in Aruba sticks in my memory - it was late August and we were at La Trattoria having dinner on the terrace and without warning there were tons of little buggers everywhere. It went from swatting a few bugs to leaving our food on the table and calling it a night in a matter of minutes. The staff asked if we wanted to move inside when they first became a little pesky, we declined thinking it wasn't a big deal. We should have understood their warning. There was a table next to us who was very loudly complaining and demanding their entire check be comped. It was a little over-the-top. I seem to remember there being a storm out to sea or some reason for it being that bad.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

We've only encountered bad bugs once and that was on Renn Island later in the day. Right now I would gladly take a few or even several bug bites just to be somewhere warm...

I suspect it is a result of the rains. We are still getting small daily showers and they are certainly plentiful after those sprinkles. Not as bad as Curacao though. Coming through the airport and while waiting for the connecting flight back to Aruba, they were swarming around ankles and legs. I commented to my wife that they actually looked like little black clouds of smoke.

I just hope that the mozzys here are not carrying any nasty viruses. It is interesting that the Aruban Govt has been fogging the St Nicolaas area.

It is the rain. Brings the bugs and frogs out. The wet season is always the worst for bugs. The summer season is always bad with the excessive dust. I think I still have dust on some of my things here. The Arubans are very cautious of Dengue. That is the big threat with the mosquitoes. Besides that I hope you are enjoying your home. Best thing we ever did was screen in our back porch. Eating at night outside bring tons of flies!

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.realfarmacy.com/attracts-mosquitoes-repel/

i came across this article today. click above link