Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Buying points for travel

Buying points for travel

Has anyone bought points to help pay for their hotel travel expense? I have 2 free nights at the ritz with a certificate thru my CC, and I will have enough points for 2 free nights at the Marriott with a little left over. So my question, has anyone purchased points to add to their balance? I can add the points cheaper than I could book the room for to make a free 5 night trip. Any experience? I am assuming its a pretty quick transaction, like entering your credit card, lol.

I have traveled for years but never got a cc with benefits or a hotel rewards card to build points- what a waste, but I am learning anyway.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    We've rented DP points from Marriott members
    not sure if this is the points you are referring to.
    Huge difference between reward points and DP points

Reward points...I get 1 point for each dollar spent on regular purchases and 5x on ritz or purchases. 45k points is a free night at the Marriott in Aruba and 60k points is worth a free night at the Ritz...does that clarify better? Travel awards are brand new to me like I said, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Reward points...I get 1 point for each dollar spent on regular purchases and 5x on ritz or purchases. 45k points is a free night at the Marriott in Aruba and 60k points is worth a free night at the Ritz...does that clarify better? Travel awards are brand new to me like I said, lol.
    It really depends on what they're charging you for the extra points and how many you need. Then just look at that dollar amount and decide if it's worth it to you (compared to regular hotel rates that you normally pay.)

Many years ago we purchased extra Delta frequent flyer miles to top off our account for business class seats to Europe and the price we paid for the extra miles compared to the cost of a seat ($4000) was more than worth it. Luckily, we haven't had to buy extra miles for several years now (our ff miles are 700,000+) but I would do it again in a heartbeat if it made sense as far as rates vs. amount paid/needed for extra points or miles.

Hope that makes sense anyway. Once you start using hotel points/frequent flyer miles, etc. you will learn the ins and the outs and how to get the most bang for your miles/points. I always make sure our miles are going toward something I would normally not pay for (i.e. business class to Europe.)
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Thanks guys. You can buy up to 50k points for something like $300, but I don't need that many points for another free night so my cost will be much less. Buying the points would be much less than my room cost.

I just did a quick scan of their Rewards Program for purchasing points. The prices look decent enough if you only need a few. Just be aware that once you hit "buy/submit" there's no turning back. They'll probably have those points in your account within 24 hours.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Thanks Amy, that was the extra piece I was missing. I wish I purchased 50k points on Dec 31 and another 50k on jan 1, using points over NYE to book rooms would be much less expensive for me than paying cash. The room cost with points does not seem to spike over Xmas/NYE when compared to the crazy jumps in the cost for a room. The thinks we learn even as we are "older"

I was short about 100 points for Jet Blue and bought them and it saved me a lot of money towards my get away package.
    ; )

I always watch American airlines offers for buying miles, same idea. Sometimes they have specials to buy some get some bonus free. I had to top off our account to have enough for first class on one of our trips.
    Marriott Rewards card is okay depending on what you are looking for. With Ritz being a Marriott property, if you don't have this already, look into it. They have a bonus sign up offer for extra rewards points when you sign up usually. The card has an annual fee but you get a free night at a very low category room. We make out a little in this because we always use the free room at some point during the year for something we would do anyway.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

smoki, thanks. Tracey, I will watch for airline stuff in the future, I am just a member of jet blue and have only recently done that. I do have the Ritz Rewards Card that I can use for either the Ritz or the Marriott. I thought I read I could only hold one of the rewards cards, but the free night would be a bonus for sure with the Marriott card, or are you talking about the Marriott Credit card?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast