Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Buying points for travel

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    smoki, thanks. Tracey, I will watch for airline stuff in the future, I am just a member of jet blue and have only recently done that. I do have the Ritz Rewards Card that I can use for either the Ritz or the Marriott. I thought I read I could only hold one of the rewards cards, but the free night would be a bonus for sure with the Marriott card, or are you talking about the Marriott Credit card?
    Yes, the Chase Marriott Visa.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Does the free night work in Aruba? Hoping so but thinking no, lol.

If so, I would have my wife get it. The Ritz card is in my name but she is an authorized user.

No chance. We use it when visiting family, or meeting friends for a night out when we don't want to have a designated driver. We've also used it to break up a long drive or attend an out of town wedding.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    No free nite is a category 4 or 5 depending location
    Works for nothing in Boston
    Think like a Courtyard in some rural NH location
    Definately not Ritz, not Ren either. sorry

The free night barely covers the annual fee, but for us I think of it as money I would have spent anyway so it justifies the annual fee to me.

We are Platinum Marriott Rewards Members (and Executive Marriott Vacation Club Destination Point Owners). We love Marriott and their programs.

Our Marriott Visa black card is used for virtually everything we spend (except for mortgage, they don't allow that). We paid private school, college and graduate school for our two daughters using the card. We use the card to pay our Aruba maintenance fees for our four weeks at Surf Club and six weeks at the Renaissance and got 5x points for each dollar spent.....about 40,000 points per year. We accrued sufficient rewards points to use 2 rooms each of 13 nights (26 nights total) for free.....FREE, when we went to Europe last summer.

By the way.....the value of Rewards Points is superior in Europe versus North America when you consider the value in terms of points per dollar.

As Platinum level members (this is based on how much use annually) we get great room upgrades, access to concierge clubs with alcohol and breakfasts, and additional gifts at check-in. A great program.

About the only thing we can't do with our Marriott Rewards (to the best of my knowledge) is to book airlines or upgrade to first class.....which is OK because there is another card for that and I don't really need to fly first class...

By the way, by paying each month in full, we have never paid a penney in interest with the Marriott card....but they still treat us like royalty.
    Last edited by rob o; 01-29-2016 at 09:40 AM.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Rob- Thanks. I am thinking about doing things like paying my sons yearly extended day costs (before/after school care) in one payment of 7k with my CC and things like that...I need to get "better" about getting the benefits out of my expenses.

It looks like your black card is the similar to my ritz card as far as points awarded, the only difference is the yearly fee (yours is much better, lol) and the benefits that pertain to the ritz alone- club level, $100 credit each stay and they reimburse travel fees up to 300 for bags, upgrades. "If" I were to ever get sick of the Ritz, I would get a Marriott card for the similar benefits minus the fee. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-29-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    here is what we use our rewards card for (pay off in full each month): groceries, gas, cable tv, real estate taxes, home insurance, auto and golf cart insurance, community maintenance fee, health insurance,pet supplies, horse lease, electric, water, restaurants. years ago, my mom was in assisted living and then into a nursing home. we paid her monthly bill on our rewards card (about $6000) and was reimbursed from her savings/checking. son in college pretty much was academic scholarship, but his incidentals went on the card as well.

the card programs are terrific providing the annual fee (if any) is doable and you take advantage of the card.

it is quite a coincidence though. we got a notification from fraud alert last night.
    our card was compromised and a $4000 charge on "square trade" tried to be made.
    new cards being overnighted to us.

i wholly endorse using your cards for everything that you can.

Andrea, of all those places you mentioned, do any of them charge to take the payment? The taxes are a good idea even if it was a 25 charge, my taxes are 13k so it would probably be worth it. I am thinking about refinancing to save a bit of cash with low rates and maybe I won't escrow taxes and insurance if I can pay with CC, something to think about, lol.

Horse? nice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast