Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Buying points for travel

My mom is in assisted living as well. We pay 7k a month (she pays actually), maybe that could be run thru my CC as well? You guys have my mind going wild, lol.

We use the Delta Reserve (black) Amex card for extra miles and use it for large ticket items that we would be paying in full anyway (like others have done above with their various cards). But we probably accumulate most of our miles through airline travel - we're Delta Platinum Medallion members (because of the amount of miles we fly per year) so we get the usual miles x 4 whenever we fly Delta. The perks with any loyalty program are great as long as you know how to get the most bang for your buck/mile/point and not use it on things that you would normally purchase anyway. I can't remember the last time we sat in regular coach seats for domestic or international flights.

Our friends who are Platinum with Marriott stayed at the Ritz in Aruba last Sept. and got upgraded to the Penthouse Suite - it was amazing (they invited us over so we could enjoy it as well and also partake in the Club Level Lounge.) They felt like they hit the lottery.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 01-29-2016 at 10:27 AM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    None of the places that I mentioned have a fee for credit card use.
    The horse, it's a barn lease, meaning I can use him 5 hrs a week at the farm.
    It's good deal especially since I do not have to pay vet, farrier or float.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 01-29-2016 at 11:19 AM.

We also use rewards cards as often as possible. The key is paying them off every month and knowing their benefits to use the cards to maximize your points based on the offers available. There are tons of websites out there to get help making the most out of your rewards. We charged our boat trailer and the downpayment on our truck to get rewards, and just paid both off immediately. The points add up quickly just for routine monthly expenses too.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

One of my favorite websites (next to the Forum on FlyerTalk.com) for maximizing points/miles: http://thepointsguy.com/

If you're looking at hotel credit cards here is a good comparison: http://thepointsguy.com/credit-cards/hotel/
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 01-29-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Thanks guys, I called my tax collector today for my town. I "could" pay my taxes via credit card but they said the cost is so high nobody does it...She was not sure what the transaction fee was, if it was only $25 I would do it and pay my yearly taxes at once- I still need to dig here for some more information to see if it will be cost effective to do it.

Between CindyO and I, we had 8 airline credit cards for 11 months. Two free Aruba round trips plus one Florida. Cancelled them all, so no annual fees. Six months later, they're begging us to do it again. I just don't get it.....
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

I will be honest, I know nothing about the benefits of the airline CC- The only airline we fly as a family is Jet Blue, it keeps my twerp busy....Do they give alot of points for signing up? How many points are needed to fly to Aruba?

We fly Jet Blue out of Boston. We don't have the CC but earn points under True Blue. I believe points vary but the last time I looked it was 14,000 points for a one way flight. I'm not into the whole rewards credit card, however, after reading all the posts maybe I should be. We have one major card from our Credit Union that pays us 1% back at the end of the year.

Thanks Peg, its something I will need to look into. I always thought something for "free" had to be a trick but I guess if you spend the cash on the CC or with a rewards card they will reward you, many people do not pay off their balance each month so they are basically just giving those people some of their interest back with the perks....those that PIF, get big benefits from what I see. I wish my last 25 years of travel were earning me points...I can't imagine home many I could have earned
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-29-2016 at 09:41 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast