Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Buying A "Sturdy" Beach Umbrella

Buying A "Sturdy" Beach Umbrella

I'm out in the sun all day and don't require an umbrella when 'beaching' it. My girlfriend, however, demands it. I actually have a couple of sturdy beach umbrellas but realize it would be impractical to bring them with us. I do have a 'corkscrew-type thingy' that I can easily pack that screws into the sand and secures a beach umbrella.

I'm wondering if decent-quality umbrellas (something that would hold up to typical beach wind) are available at local stores. We're renting a house...so getting a resort palapa is not an option...and will be bouncing around to a few beaches a day so renting from a single spot doesn't make much sense.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Aruba since 1979
    check out this thread Beach umbrellas as "projectiles" beach wind is "not typical"

i do not recommend anything "portable".
    you need something very strongly and secured

Tracey....have you brought your own shade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal Rescuer View Post
    I'm out in the sun all day and don't require an umbrella when 'beaching' it. My girlfriend, however, demands it. I actually have a couple of sturdy beach umbrellas but realize it would be impractical to bring them with us. I do have a 'corkscrew-type thingy' that I can easily pack that screws into the sand and secures a beach umbrella.

I'm wondering if decent-quality umbrellas (something that would hold up to typical beach wind) are available at local stores. We're renting a house...so getting a resort palapa is not an option...and will be bouncing around to a few beaches a day so renting from a single spot doesn't make much sense.

Aruba since 1979

Arashi and Eagle beaches are having palapas, which are public and free. We also visiting different beaches and have no problem getting palapas. Today, we were on the Eagle Beach and it was not crowded.

The beaches are public - you can get a palapa anywhere. It's the chairs that are provided by the resorts.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

Seems, after reading the article, they 'can be' if not properly secured. I'm less worried about it becoming airborne (as we'd be using the corkscrew anchor properly) and more concerned about it just bending or tearing apart. Obviously, wind conditions at any particular time would be the biggest factor but just trying to see if 'quality' umbrellas are available.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

We use a cork screw type anchor here at home and it works well except in high wind gusts. Aruba some days has consistent high wind gusts. I've seen things I never thought would get off the ground soar in Aruba including banana boats, lounge chairs, wedding arbors, small children and of course umbrellas. I saw some pretty substantial umbrellas at Price Smart this past trip, one of them might work, but it might be too big for the cork screw. It's also a lot to lug around. You can purchase a 1 year membership for around $35.00 and check it out when you get there. Price Smart is located down near the airport.

I would be reluctant to use the cork screw as it may be too short. I used one on the West Coast of FL this June, and it didn't hold up to the wind. I have one that I use when I'm at home to go to the beach. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030ZPC8M...a-312838041787 The shaft is much longer than the cork screw one, and it definitely holds up to the wind.

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    wind conditions at any particular time would be the biggest factor
    Its always windy in Aruba, you have a 95% chance it is blowing more than 15kts. If by chance its calm, go to Conchi.

I wish I had remembered to take a picture yesterday. It was not particularly windy and the rented umbrellas on the beach were put up by digging a hole with a spade, filling the whole & using the same shovel to add more sand all around the pole & then anchoring the top of the umbrella to a concrete block with a yellow rope.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast